First 24 Hours' Observations

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 11:30 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First 24 Hours' Observations

The cons:

The seat is rock-hard and I found myself squirming for almost 3 hours today as I drove from Sanibel Island to Miami.

A few spirited accelerations from a standing start and I experienced the dreaded and much-maligned hesitation. You have to experience it to know what it's like but I'll try to describe it from my limited experience with it happening: It's like the car is saying, "Huh? You wanna go fast?" It takes a good second or so and then lunges forward with a roar. I hope I can figure out how to work around it because it is definitely WRONG. If this is endemic to the PDK, maybe I should've gotten the manual.

The base sound system is probably fine if you're not under way. The P Zeroes are noisy and the ambient noise makes it hard to hear music and talk on the radio. Won't matter most of the time but when I make the 2:45 trip across Alligator Alley to and from Sanibel/Miami, I'll rely on the sound system since the RPMs will be steady at around 2K and I'll want a little entertainment.

The pros:

The PSE is awesome, especially the downshifts and rev matching and burbles and pops. I have yet to let her rip because I'm trying to be good and not rev up where the engine really comes to life, but what I've heard so far has made a believer out of me! Downshifting is where it's at! At least, so far.

The car is drop dead gorgeous! No arguing that. Fact, not opinion.

I was able to fit two carry-ons in the boot. Surprised me and my salesman. See pic.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:35 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

One more con:

On the xway doing 70+, I found the car very easily affected by mild cross winds. Either that or the P Zeroes are squirmy. I tried stiffening the suspension but it still wandered, mostly to the right.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:40 AM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
One more con:

On the xway doing 70+, I found the car very easily affected by mild cross winds. Either that or the P Zeroes are squirmy. I tried stiffening the suspension but it still wandered, mostly to the right.
Check your tire pressures. I found the car very darty at high speed. I thought it was the wind. turns out that my car was delivered with high tire pressure all around. Did some research and found that the comfort setting pressure was much lower. I adjusted the pressures, and the car was rock steady and tracked straight.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:03 AM
991 C2S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At what pressure range is the "comfort mode"
Old 09-02-2013, 02:34 AM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

31/34
Old 09-02-2013, 09:02 AM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations - it looks great. Hope to see you around the Island. Did you buy it from Terry at Ft Myers?
Old 09-02-2013, 09:07 AM
MAHack
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Definitely check the tire pressures as just a couple of psi difference from side to side can be felt at speed. Also, curious as to which seat you specd that wasn't comfortable. Lastly, definitely NO hesitation with the 7spd manual.

Good color choice!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:08 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 154 Posts

I have the 7mt, so no hesitation in my 991s. Have you ever owned a 911 or other sports car before before? While my 991s has more tire noise than my previous S5, its whisper quite compared to my prior 911s, Ferraris, Viper and Vettes.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:33 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by enzom
Check your tire pressures. I found the car very darty at high speed. I thought it was the wind. turns out that my car was delivered with high tire pressure all around. Did some research and found that the comfort setting pressure was much lower. I adjusted the pressures, and the car was rock steady and tracked straight.
+1. I find a huge negative difference in overall comfort and stability with the tires set to the high pressure end of the recommended settings. They "grow" 3-4 pounds in normal driving so starting cold at around 32 F and 36 R seems to work best for me.

PS I find the TPMS to be very accurate, or at lease quite consistent with my tire pressure gage. Watching for even pressure growth as tires get some heat in them is a good proxy for identifying alignment issues. Some have reported misalignment from the factory. That and crowned roads can make for squirmy driving.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:53 AM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Originally Posted by clembo
Congratulations - it looks great. Hope to see you around the Island. Did you buy it from Terry at Ft Myers?
Yes. He's great! Answers emails 24/7 and very patient with newbies who have too many questions (like me).

If you see someone driving around the island in a white with red guts Triumph TR3, stop and say Hi. That's my Sanibel car. My 911 is now in my Miami garage and my Austin-Healey is now in Vermont.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:58 AM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

I'll be checking my TPMS this morning and adjust pressures, if necessary.

As for tire noise, it was loud only on certain stretches of road. Although the road wasn't lumpy, it had just enough texture that made the tires growl but as soon as I got on a smoother section of road, the noise disappeared. Nonetheless, the ambient noise level is such that I need to crank the radio volume way up in order to get a decent sound out of the base radio so the base radio isn't really adequate for the car, IMO. Again, these are very early observations based on a very limited trip of 160+ miles, mostly at 55-85 MPH.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
The cons:

The seat is rock-hard and I found myself squirming for almost 3 hours today as I drove from Sanibel Island to Miami.

A few spirited accelerations from a standing start and I experienced the dreaded and much-maligned hesitation. You have to experience it to know what it's like but I'll try to describe it from my limited experience with it happening: It's like the car is saying, "Huh? You wanna go fast?" It takes a good second or so and then lunges forward with a roar. I hope I can figure out how to work around it because it is definitely WRONG. If this is endemic to the PDK, maybe I should've gotten the manual.

The base sound system is probably fine if you're not under way. The P Zeroes are noisy and the ambient noise makes it hard to hear music and talk on the radio. Won't matter most of the time but when I make the 2:45 trip across Alligator Alley to and from Sanibel/Miami, I'll rely on the sound system since the RPMs will be steady at around 2K and I'll want a little entertainment.

The pros:

The PSE is awesome, especially the downshifts and rev matching and burbles and pops. I have yet to let her rip because I'm trying to be good and not rev up where the engine really comes to life, but what I've heard so far has made a believer out of me! Downshifting is where it's at! At least, so far.

The car is drop dead gorgeous! No arguing that. Fact, not opinion.

I was able to fit two carry-ons in the boot. Surprised me and my salesman.
I initially found my 14-way too hard and really squirmed on my first road trip. They are fine now so give it some time. Getting the right seat position helps with this.

I also thought the road noise was loud but it seemed to quiet down after the tires broke in. Either that or I got used to it. I think it is the former though as my wife has commented on how quiet it is.

Sorry to hear about your frustration with hesitation. I feel your pain
Old 09-02-2013, 12:21 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by MAHack
Definitely check the tire pressures as just a couple of psi difference from side to side can be felt at speed. Also, curious as to which seat you specd that wasn't comfortable. Lastly, definitely NO hesitation with the 7spd manual.

Good color choice!
I have not noticed a hesitation problem with my PDK in 15k miles. It is reported so much I have no doubt that its real. Could it be within what one might expect in disengaging the clutch by foot, but not expected with PDK? Makes me wonder if some PDK clutch engagement weirdness in the affected cars is what is being noticed.

On the other hand, there are warm up effects in my car. Purpose shifted on-throttle high RPM shifts are noticeably faster (and do a more definite cup car imitation) once the car is well warmed up than when it is not. Maybe I am just not stomping on it enough from a dead stop!
Old 09-02-2013, 03:13 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

Are you able to choose whether you want the P zeros or Michelins or does P choose for you?
J
Old 09-02-2013, 03:20 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Unfortunately, Porsche chooses for you.

Quick Reply: First 24 Hours' Observations