Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaking in and RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 01:11 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 3.4L started out very clattery at idle. Now with 5K miles it's very smooth and quiet. Did largely long excursions below 4200 rpm (75 mph) up until 2K and suddenly a change occurred sound wise. Also, changed oil at 2K. It sounds and feels nicely broken in now.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:01 AM
Art Caputo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not directly related to break in but I think it reflects Porsches's attention to engine wear and condition was a recent experience I had when trading in a GT3. The dealer had a grading system that evaluated the number of times the car had hit the rev limiter and took this into consideration when determining the trade in value. While I had hit the limiter a few times, they told me the car was classified in the most preferable classification. I also understand that this is checked when warranty work is performed. Welcome to the
black box era! I have always abided by the break in requirements mostly because of my past experiences with motorcycles where I have seen very obvious effects from improper break in, directly related to the effects described in the OP's comments from the Porsche engineer. Improper break in in my experience can manifest itself in oil consumption, engine/power train noise, power, and overall engine life. IMO.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:45 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Art Caputo
Not directly related to break in but I think it reflects Porsches's attention to engine wear and condition was a recent experience I had when trading in a GT3. The dealer had a grading system that evaluated the number of times the car had hit the rev limiter and took this into consideration when determining the trade in value. While I had hit the limiter a few times, they told me the car was classified in the most preferable classification. I also understand that this is checked when warranty work is performed. Welcome to the
black box era! I have always abided by the break in requirements mostly because of my past experiences with motorcycles where I have seen very obvious effects from improper break in, directly related to the effects described in the OP's comments from the Porsche engineer. Improper break in in my experience can manifest itself in oil consumption, engine/power train noise, power, and overall engine life. IMO.
Definitely shades of George Orwell here...but thanks for the heads up. Whew!

Quick Reply: Breaking in and RPMs