Sponsored by:

Sport Auto Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 01:37 AM
E36325is
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Auto Cayman S

This is quite disappointing, a full 21 sec slower around the ring than the C2S, and more or less the same as a Boxster S. And overall comments not very positive keep saying comparable to a Boxster but no better. Slower Hockenheim time shld be understandable due to the lower power output and a short track.

http://www.sportauto.de/supertest/po...e-7284301.html
Old 08-15-2013, 05:08 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And why should this be surprising?
Old 08-16-2013, 03:11 PM
E36325is
Intermediate

Well at least with a much stiffer coupe chassis, slightly more power would expect it to be noticeably faster than the softop Boxster around the ring, say 5sec? Or closer result to the base Carrera which everyone is comparing it to.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

The power difference between the 981 Boxster and Cayman is within the error bars used in production test at the factory, so not a huge factor either way. Also, the current Boxster is said to be stiffer than the previous Cayman was, and you didn't see a lot of people complaining about chassis flex in the 987.2 Cayman.

They are the same car, for all intents and purposes. Porsche just figured out how to charge more for the coupe than the convertible. They are wizards in more ways than one.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:23 AM
E36325is
Intermediate

Indeed and it is always cheaper to make a coupe than a convertible.....

In fact I used to have a 987 Boxster and didn't think the chassis was flimsy at all.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:01 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by E36325is

In fact I used to have a 987 Boxster and didn't think the chassis was flimsy at all.
I don't think so... Not in case of the Boxster/Cayman.
Normally they make a convertible out of a coupe or hatchback or whatever. That costs a lot more in development. They have to create a car without a roof out of a car that was innitially build with a roof.

The Boxster is developed as a convertible, so it's about the same cost or even more to add a roof and make a coupe out of it. It would be the same when Mazda should decide to put a roof on their MX-5. It would cost extra money in terms of development, so it would make the car more expensive.

Because that sounds not right to a customer to make a coupe more expensive than a convertible, Porsche has given the Boxster Coupe a different name, slightly more power and the Cayman was born. Just some simple marketing.

At least that's how I see it.

Regarding the speed. Of course a Cayman S is a lot slower than a Carrera S. What would you expect? It isn't always about laptimes only however.... The cayman is much more of a fun car to drive, where the 991 is the more mature car. If you want fast laptimes, you'd better get a GT3

Suzy991
Old 08-17-2013, 08:17 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry. Don't agree. The 981 was definitely not more fun to drive. Those that think that should try them back to back on a track and decide. I feel like the default answer is that the 981 is more fun to drive. I did not share that opinion after tracking them. In fact, the 991 feels more grounded, raw and angry! So much for mid engine.

Originally Posted by Suzy991

I don't think so... Not in case of the Boxster/Cayman.
Normally they make a convertible out of a coupe or hatchback or whatever. That costs a lot more in development. They have to create a car without a roof out of a car that was innitially build with a roof.

The Boxster is developed as a convertible, so it's about the same cost or even more to add a roof and make a coupe out of it. It would be the same when Mazda should decide to put a roof on their MX-5. It would cost extra money in terms of development, so it would make the car more expensive.

Because that sounds not right to a customer to make a coupe more expensive than a convertible, Porsche has given the Boxster Coupe a different name, slightly more power and the Cayman was born. Just some simple marketing.

At least that's how I see it.

Regarding the speed. Of course a Cayman S is a lot slower than a Carrera S. What would you expect? It isn't always about laptimes only however.... The cayman is much more of a fun car to drive, where the 991 is the more mature car. If you want fast laptimes, you'd better get a GT3

Suzy991
Old 08-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spourreza
Sorry. Don't agree. The 981 was definitely not more fun to drive. Those that think that should try them back to back on a track and decide. I feel like the default answer is that the 981 is more fun to drive. I did not share that opinion after tracking them. In fact, the 991 feels more grounded, raw and angry! So much for mid engine.
I disagree. I have a 981 Boxster S and a 991 C4S on order and had good, long testdrives in different versions of the 991 before ordering. The Boxster wins it from the 991 in terms of a fun car to drive on a twisty, inspiring mountainroads like here in Switzerland. I'm not talking about driving on a track. On the road the Boxster is more fun. It's more nimble and feels like the car turns around you if you enter a corner.
The 991 is indeed more grounded and angry, but feels also less nimble and more mature. Especially the C4S with its AWD, drives like it's on rails. Very, very good, but to have some fun, the 981 is just the better car.

On the track I can imagine that the Boxster feels underpowered. In fact, it feels even underpowered sometimes on the road. That's because the chassis is so damn good. It could definitely handle more power than it has right now.

Suzy991
Old 08-17-2013, 08:50 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Mine sure was. Always flexing and squeaking. Don't miss that at all !
Old 08-17-2013, 09:14 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same for my older cayman S. frame did feel more flimsy. That's why I jumped into 997 after less than 1 year ownership. Now 991.

Originally Posted by bccars
Mine sure was. Always flexing and squeaking. Don't miss that at all !
Old 08-17-2013, 12:59 PM
E36325is
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bccars
Mine sure was. Always flexing  and squeaking. Don't miss that at all !
I guess in comparable terms, it did have a bit of cowl shake when going over big bumps but still better than most other makers' convertibles.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:01 PM
E36325is
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spourreza
Same for my older cayman S. frame did feel more flimsy. That's why I jumped into 997 after less than 1 year ownership. Now 991.
That bad?

Quick Reply: Sport Auto Cayman S