Sponsored by:

Questions about PASM 'Sport'

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 07:59 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Questions about PASM 'Sport'

Can PASM Sport be retrofitted to just PASM?

I can't seem to get a clear answer from my dealer. Just exactly what are the functional differences on the car between PASM and PASM Sport? Is it just shorter and firmer springs?

I am searching for a used 991 and have found some "near" perfect configurations to what I want. Unfortunately they have PASM Sport and I find it too harsh. I want just regular PASM.

I was wondering if the springs could just be retrofitted. This may be cost prohibitive, or it may be more complicated such as additional programming, than I understand. I just don't know what's involved.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:16 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

PASM Sport has PASM with shorter stiffer springs and stiffer roll bars. The roll bars would not make a car feel "harsh", but the springs might.

I have it in my 991S and don't find it "harsh" with the supple new suspension. But then again, my last 911 was set up for tracking and I lived with it on the street too. There is a button to set the PASM to the "more comfortable" (slower rebound part of their map) and it makes for a more supple ride. Also in the S it does feel notably stiffer in Sport or Sport + modes,due to the dynamic engine mounts going into "more solid" mode. To me it feels - and looks- "just right". The car sits a bit lower and thus requires a bit of caution around curbs, steep driveways and such.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:24 AM
BradB
Drifting

Thanks for the input. I guess "harsh" might be too drastic a statement on my part, but the difference is noticable on the lousy streets we live with in my area. If I had better streets or tracked my car more than I do now (5-6 events a year) then I would definitely get it.

Maybe my mistake was driving PASM and PASM Sport cars back to back with my wife on board. The boss made the ruling!

Trouble is, most cars spec'd with all the other performance oriented options I want usually have PASM Sport, too.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:20 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

At the price, Sport PASM is a total bargain IF you want that "little bit of edge" from mild lowering and stiffer sways. But with PASM the handling is already fantastic without the Sport option, and the normal mode with Sport Plus is not all that different.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:20 PM
BradB
Drifting

Spoke with my local Porsche service manager and he advised against making any post-production change to the suspension. He says the springs and shocks are mated and programming is also involved.

Drat...I'm never going to find that perfectly optioned used car.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:05 AM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be PATIENT ! Your car IS out there ;-))))
Old 08-15-2013, 09:24 AM
BradB
Drifting

Thanks! I needed a pep talk!

Quick Reply: Questions about PASM 'Sport'