Track day notes

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 02:40 PM
SB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track day notes

Hi all

I wanted to give some feedback on my recent track day.
My setup is stock 991s, 7mt, sport pasm, no pdcc, camber -1.7 front -2 rear, pagid rs 29, motul 600, stock 20" rim and oem pirellis

- pagids rs29s held up very well as expected. These seem to have more initial bite than rs19s I ran on 997s. You have to try to squeeze the brakes quickly but try not to go into abs right away, which is very easy to do on street tires. With that being said, it is pretty easy to modulate these pads.
-tires were the biggest surprise to me. I've not run a street tire on the dry track in over a decade, with Toyo r888 being my tire of choice for rain/dry/street in the last several years. The stock pirellis have a lot of grip. I was able to run 1:02s on the these at LRP, first time out with the 991s on track. That's just about as quick as my 997s on 245/305 r888s was with -2.7f, -2.2r camber.
- i think 991s is pretty well balanced and definitely has substantially better turn in than my 997s was. It did take a bit for the car to take a set and the tires rolled a bit, but still pretty impressive for a fairly comfy street cruiser on street tires. The car is also very progressive on oversteer, although no doubt PSM contributes to this.
- I could definitely use more camber, especially with street tire with soft sidewalls. I am running -1.7f, and I bet -2.5 would work pretty well in the front with -2.2 rear. With that being said, tire temp spread across the tires wasn't too bad. I liked the tires around 36-38 hot.
- I saw oil temps peak at 265 degrees (a/c on, ambient temp around 85 deg)
- Yes, the brakes will squeal at light braking/low speed (near stop). IMO, it isn't so bad, especially with windows up. I also typically use engine braking for the most part anyway when i can anticipate a stop (ie red light).

Last edited by SB; 08-12-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: added comments about oil temps, brake squeal
Old 08-10-2013, 04:53 PM
maximmm
Intermediate

Planning to switch to r888? Or cup +?
Old 08-10-2013, 05:50 PM
SB
Instructor

Originally Posted by maximmm
Planning to switch to r888? Or cup +?
My goal is to minimize the hassle of extra wheels, tires and all the associated labor. If I can do 1.01s at lime rock on street tires, that's plenty quick for me

Quick Reply: Track day notes