Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you retrofit the Sport Design Steering Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 04:26 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Can you retrofit the Sport Design Steering Wheel?

I am on the hunt for a 991 and am looking at a well equipped C2S (2012) with the Multi Function Steering Wheel. I would prefer the Sport Design Wheel with paddle shifters. Can these be easily retrofitted?

I see the wheels for sale at places like Suncoast ($1500 gulp!) but wasn't sure what happens to the "multi functions" when you replace the wheel. And to be honest, I am not altogether clear what the functions even do.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,045 Likes on 559 Posts

If you want to convert to OE sport design wheel, you will need to add the multi-function stalk to the steering column. Not sure if anyone has done it yet.

The multi-function stalk lets you toggle thru the on-screen menu eg oil temp/ pressure screen, screen set up, audio, map, nav. phone, TPMS, G-force meter...etc There is duplication on the PCM but only the stalk allows you to change the screen on the dash. Definitely need it.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, according to my dealer, it can be done but they said it is quite a job. I'm assuming they meant "tedious job that the tech probably doesn't really enjoy doing so get ready to pay."

I was lucky to find a car out of state that was my ideal spec shortly thereafter, so I never had to go there.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Spend some time with the MF wheel before committing to anything drastic. It really is not as awful as people on here say it is.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it's pretty cool - scroll through the screens, answer calls, mute the radio, mute while on a phone call.

I do get confused switching from my MB with paddles (they just make sense) to the things on the MF steering wheel - but I'm getting used to it. I mainly drive around know in manual mode flicking up and down with thumb and index finger. Love how it downshifts - puts a smile on my face every time
Old 08-09-2013, 12:24 AM
BradB
Drifting

Thanks for the feedback.

So I suppose if it is just a base steering wheel you can make the swap over to paddles easier?

I haven't ruled out the MF Wheel, I can imagine its advantages. But I am so used to paddles in other cars I have now and in the past that it seemed a natural on my "want" list.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:34 AM
j080808
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you said, a base wheel to a sport wheel should be easy. A MF wheel to a sport wheel would be tough as Cogito says.

You could always fit the base or MF wheel with the TechArt paddles and have the best of both worlds.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:49 AM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by j080808
You could always fit the base or MF wheel with the TechArt paddles and have the best of both worlds.
Really? Have no idea about these but will research it now!
Old 08-09-2013, 06:32 AM
tradervic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try the MF. Has many advantages over SD. And this is coming from a "paddler".
Old 08-09-2013, 10:03 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the MF, and it's great, w/ the exception of the track, where I find I'm constantly worried about hitting the shift buttons if I keep my hands at 9 and 3. If you're going to track at all, I'd definitely do SD (which I have on order w/ my TT).
Old 08-09-2013, 11:20 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

I also considered the SD paddle shift wheel a must have - and I am glad I got it. However, I am also a chronic radio station changer and the multifunction wheel controls are really better for that. For myself (and if I actually got to use this car more frequently), I would probably have preferred the MF wheel and learned to live with the shift buttons!
Old 08-09-2013, 12:22 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by tradervic
Try the MF. Has many advantages over SD. And this is coming from a "paddler".
Can you please elaborate on the "many advantages".
Other than controlling the volume of my music, they perform the exact same functions?
Old 08-09-2013, 03:50 PM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
I am on the hunt for a 991 and am looking at a well equipped C2S (2012) with the Multi Function Steering Wheel. I would prefer the Sport Design Wheel with paddle shifters. Can these be easily retrofitted?

I see the wheels for sale at places like Suncoast ($1500 gulp!) but wasn't sure what happens to the "multi functions" when you replace the wheel. And to be honest, I am not altogether clear what the functions even do.

Thanks for the help.

As others have mentioned, yes you can. Suncoast can actually include the stalk (which is one reason it is much more expensive from them... the actual wheel is only about $1000 - $1100 of that cost)

The wheel swap is easy, the stalk isn't horrible, but the programming can only be done by the dealer.

The Techart Paddles are the easiest solution, but they are a bit plasticky feeling. However, I actually prefer them because the throw is a bit less, I feel like the Sport Design wheel's paddles take a lot of movement to shift and don't have as crisp a click as I'd like.

Surprisingly, I've gotten used to the MF toggles. They are still a bit weird, but I waited so long that I ended up leaving them alone.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:58 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^^ yes to this.

to the OP you have a lot to consider here. I personally dont like the MF wheel w/ the stupid *** toggles. I have a MF and was thinking about switching to SD but decided against it at $2000+. I dont understand why P cant offer a MF w/ Paddles.

the Techart, given the price, is a joke.

IMO if youre going to do a swap, I'd wait for the GT3 wheel. It has shorter pulls.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:00 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
I dont understand why P cant over a MF w/ Paddles.
^ this

Quick Reply: Can you retrofit the Sport Design Steering Wheel?