Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Roof transport system. Allowing your 991 to be the minivan it always wanted to be. (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/769628-roof-transport-system-allowing-your-991-to-be-the-minivan-it-always-wanted-to-be.html)

nmurray22 08-03-2013 10:40 PM

Roof transport system. Allowing your 991 to be the minivan it always wanted to be.

4 Attachment(s)
My 991 is my only car so it is pressed into doing everything. Strangely 911 turns out to be a great all-rounder because of those silly back seats. They do have their limits however and that is why I got the roof transport system. It takes about 5 minutes to attach or detach with the included torque drive.

Here are some photos of the racks in action with the kayaks holders. I have a bike rack and ski/snow board rack as well so more photos coming of those.

I put the kayaks on this morning and drove up to the lake. Draw a bit of attention… seemed every other car on the highway was taking photos of us. Someone even sent me a photo of us that someone else had taken on the highway they had seen posted on FB. That was only an hour after I put them on the car.

chuckbdc 08-04-2013 07:50 AM

Nice kayaks matching calipers. PS the rest of the package ain't too shabby!

bccars 08-04-2013 09:14 AM

Gt3 drivers with their tiny spoilers have nothing on you man ! Very cool you can do all that in your 911 !

991Dreamer 08-04-2013 04:12 PM

Love it! I was going to order the roof transport system with my car but the dealer talked me out of it. Said it took two people to put on/take off and he'd seen too many cars get scratched up in the process. Any issues for you? Is it the factory system or after market?

nmurray22 08-04-2013 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by 991Dreamer (Post 10661132)
Love it! I was going to order the roof transport system with my car but the dealer talked me out of it. Said it took two people to put on/take off and he'd seen too many cars get scratched up in the process. Any issues for you? Is it the factory system or after market?

Honestly do any of these dealers know the first thing about the cars they sell? Mine was almost 100% wrong about everything I asked about.

I got the factory ones, the do not take two people to put on and off, they take one person and unless you are very careless there should never be any damage to your car. Takes 5 mins to put on or take off.

mtbscott 08-05-2013 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by 991Dreamer (Post 10661132)

Morons. I'd be willing to bet they haven't sold a single 991 roof rack. I was the first to buy one from my dealer 9 months after 991's arrived and no one even knew how it mounted. I had to do an online search (which stupidly on my part) directed me back to our owner's manual that has almost four pages describing its use.
I use mine to carry bikes at least a few days every week. The first time mounting took me about an hour lining things up, now it's five minutes on or off like nmurray22 describes. It's a finely engineered piece, just like the car it rests on.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...thtwobikes.jpg

fbroen 08-05-2013 10:51 AM

Great pics.
Yes, racks are great. Mine are on there for weeks at a time and have carried wakeboards, surfboards, and road and mountain bikes.
I particularly like the design that they never touch the painted surface. Not even rubber pads touch like most solutions would. Plus they are reasonably quiet (unless loaded up with accessories).

robbieracer 08-05-2013 10:58 AM

That's a great setup! I'll have to look into that for my mountain/road bikes.

stealthboy 08-05-2013 01:54 PM

Do you have to make permanent cuts in the rubber weatherstripping? I would love to have a roof rack for when I need it, but I don't want to make any permanent changes.

mtbscott 08-05-2013 02:47 PM

The weatherstripping pulls up to reveal the mounting tabs for the rack. When not in use, they fold back into the roof and the rubber snaps back in place. I've taken my rack on and off probably a 100 times and there's no signs of wear anywhere.
You can see in nmurray22's first picture how the weatherstip pulls up, then hides inside the tower when in use.

stealthboy 08-05-2013 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by mtbscott (Post 10663390)
The weatherstripping pulls up to reveal the mounting tabs for the rack. When not in use, they fold back into the roof and the rubber snaps back in place. I've taken my rack on and off probably a 100 times and there's no signs of wear anywhere.
You can see in nmurray22's first picture how the weatherstip pulls up, then hides inside the tower when in use.

Oh, I see that now. Perfect! I was discouraged from buying the roof rack because the one set of instructions I saw for installation included a step for cutting the rubber pieces! Oh hell no.

P76 08-06-2013 10:31 PM

HA! Props for the window sticker!

Key Left 08-08-2013 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by stealthboy (Post 10663514)
Oh, I see that now. Perfect! I was discouraged from buying the roof rack because the one set of instructions I saw for installation included a step for cutting the rubber pieces! Oh hell no.

We have the roof transport system on our 991 and there is nothing to cut and one person can mount, no problem, no scratches either. We have the large roof box and can travel for extended periods with all our stuff, our 80lbs dog's stuff, beach chairs an umbrella, etc. etc.. Plus have room to bring things home.
It's a wonderful life with this new Porsche GT!

Key Left 08-08-2013 02:05 AM

P.S. We also getting 30 mpg average with the 3.4 L.

Theodor 08-08-2013 02:46 PM

How long does it take you to get it on and off?
I also have one for surf boards (dubai) but so far it's still in the box.

Dyim 08-08-2013 07:15 PM

Can you slide the roof open when the rack is on?

mtbscott 08-09-2013 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dyim (Post 10671715)
Can you slide the roof open when the rack is on?

You can pop it open but not slide it fully. Noise from the bars would be too loud anyway.

Key Left 08-10-2013 02:06 AM

No noise from the bars when the rubber strips are in place.

Key Left 08-10-2013 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Theodor (Post 10671120)

Not even ten minutes, single handed.

Sean in Texas 08-10-2013 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by mtbscott (Post 10662747)
Morons. I'd be willing to bet they haven't sold a single 991 roof rack. I was the first to buy one from my dealer 9 months after 991's arrived and no one even knew how it mounted. I had to do an online search (which stupidly on my part) directed me back to our owner's manual that has almost four pages describing its use.
I use mine to carry bikes at least a few days every week. The first time mounting took me about an hour lining things up, now it's five minutes on or off like nmurray22 describes. It's a finely engineered piece, just like the car it rests on.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...thtwobikes.jpg

Scott, do you come down Shepherd and take a right onto San Felipe to get to work? Just curious, as I see a red 991 making that turn as I'm on my way in the AM.

Sean

mtbscott 08-12-2013 11:45 AM

Sort of. I come down Studemont to Allen Parkway/Kirby to San Felipe every morning.

jason952 08-12-2013 03:21 PM

does the OP have a distronic-like cruise control? is that the "eye" up front?

Suzy991 08-12-2013 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by jason952 (Post 10679394)
does the OP have a distronic-like cruise control? is that the "eye" up front?

Yes it is :)

He also posted a very nice video about the system and how it works. Worth watching!
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7649...tive-safe.html

Suzy991

Speedy991 01-21-2014 02:33 PM

Funny, I just ordered and received my roof system (for skiing). The parts guy came out with a stressed look on his face. Tell me, "I'm really sorry, but this rack won't go on your car because you have the glass roof". The mechanic agreed. I showed them the little weather strip that lifts to install the unit. "Ahhhh, learn something new every day", he says. I'm glad to be of help. :thumbsup:

socalsteve 01-21-2014 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Speedy991 (Post 11069130)
Funny, I just ordered and received my roof system (for skiing). The parts guy came out with a stressed look on his face. Tell me, "I'm really sorry, but this rack won't go on your car because you have the glass roof". The mechanic agreed. I showed them the little weather strip that lifts to install the unit. "Ahhhh, learn something new every day", he says. I'm glad to be of help. :thumbsup:

Never ceases to amaze me how little the "experts" know about the products they sell...and, that we the consumer, come knowing more than them.

What do they do all day long??? Obviously not learn about the products they sell!!!

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

CamsPorsche 01-22-2014 02:08 PM

It might benefit PCNA if they sent reps out to dealers to do a product knowledge seminar on the Porsche Factory Accessories. Heck...maybe the dealers will end up selling more which benefits both the dealer and PCNA.

VIC_50th 01-26-2014 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Theodor (Post 10671120)

Originally Posted by Key Left (Post 10674746)
Not even ten minutes, single handed.

Getting it on can take the whole evening, an expensive meal, and a bottle of wine, whereas getting it off, depending on the rack, usually takes way less than 10 minutes

Just J 01-26-2014 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by VIC_50th (Post 11081000)
Getting it on can take the whole evening, an expensive meal, and a bottle of wine, whereas getting it off, depending on the rack, usually takes way less than 10 minutes

http://www.justj.net/misc/smilies/S-A-RimShot.gif Tip your waitress, try the veal.

BradB 01-26-2014 03:45 AM

I just realized that's the same rack (brand not size) that comes with my VW Touareg. Very well made right down to the ingenious little torque wrench.

Finally911 02-19-2014 01:15 AM

Resurrecting an old thread. What bike mounts are you guys using with the roof system. Suncoastparts offers 2, 1 with a fork mount and another with a full wheel mount. But these don't look like what your using. Before I place the order would like some input from you guys.

Thanks,

DMoore 02-19-2014 02:12 AM

RockyMounts Euro Pitchfork

Originally Posted by Finally911 (Post 11146610)
Resurrecting an old thread. What bike mounts are you guys using with the roof system. Suncoastparts offers 2, 1 with a fork mount and another with a full wheel mount. But these don't look like what your using. Before I place the order would like some input from you guys.

Thanks,

I've been dealing with bike racks for over 40 years. Anybody here remember La Prealpina? Anyway. I've had the factory Porsche bike rack (poor); Thule; Yakima, and others.

The RockyMounts Euro Pitchfork is the best bike rack I've found. It locks securely to the Porsche factory crossbars. It's low profile, not much wind noise. The bike locks securely to the rack. With the factory crossbars and Pitchfork on my Panamera, I can shake the bike and the entire car rocks. It's a very secure attachment. It's similar to Thule, but less expensive. Try rockymounts.com.

DMoore
'13 C2S
'13 Panamera GTS

mtbscott 02-19-2014 11:15 AM

Thanks,

Plus one on the Rockymounts. See the picture on page 2 of this thread of my car with Rockymount Euro-Pitchfork trays on the OEM crossbars. They're available in a gaggle of colors too, mine are blue because I already had them, some red ones would be very cool too.

CamsPorsche 02-19-2014 11:20 AM

Thanks,

Its either Yakima or Sport Rack that makes this rack system for Porsche. The bike attachments (fork etc) slide into the rails so don't go to Suncoast unless they are selling the attachment cheap.

mtbscott 02-19-2014 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche (Post 11147274)
Its either Yakima or Sport Rack that makes this rack system for Porsche. The bike attachments (fork etc) slide into the rails so don't go to Suncoast unless they are selling the attachment cheap.

Actually a company called Votec makes the Porsche and pretty much all other Euro car brands' OEM roofbars. Not sure who makes their attachments, but you are correct that anything made to fit on "euro-style aero bars" will fit so no need to limit yourself the Porsche branded stuff.
Just to give an example of the Porsche tax, the Votec roofbars for my MINI retail at $249, the ones on my prior Audi TT-RS were only $109, the Porsche ones retail for around $600. All very similar, all made by the same vendor.

socalsteve 02-19-2014 06:20 PM

Yakima has a high end line...excellent products at about half the price of Porsche branded gear.

Homeles 02-20-2014 08:57 PM

Whats next, a trailer hitch?

barihunk 02-21-2014 03:01 AM

For those with the roof rack, how much additional wind noise is there at speed? Is it bothersome enough to not leave the rack on all the time?

gota911 02-21-2014 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by 122554 (Post 11151959)
Whats next, a trailer hitch?

Ye, and after that there will be an option to have a pop-up camper emerge from under the rear spoiler. ;)

mtbscott 02-21-2014 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by barihunk (Post 11152707)
For those with the roof rack, how much additional wind noise is there at speed? Is it bothersome enough to not leave the rack on all the time?

It's reasonably quiet with my Rockymount trays, but it's so easy to take on and off that I don't leave it on when not using it. Sunroof will pop up but not fully open with rack on either (of course that would be really noisy if it did.)

In response to 122554's inquiry about trailer hitches, I guess he's jabbing about using the 911 for a workhorse.
Of course I don't know where he resides, but I think the idea of a "garage queen/weekend" car is mostly an American thing. In the homeland, I see pictures of 911's with skis on them in the snow, cargo boxes on the roof while on holiday, etc. I use my car, not baby it. Many of the places I go to ride my bike have very cool roads going to them, why wouldn't I want to drive my cool car there?

fbroen 02-21-2014 11:47 AM

Roof bars by themselves are pretty dern quiet.
Roof bars with Rocky Mounts make more noise, including some whistling at certain speeds. That said, I think the bars and trays were on my car at least 6 of the 12 months last year.

Re utility point -- I prefer having the bike racks on the 911 versus our Audi -- it is so much easier loading the bikes at the very practical low roof height. SPASM gave me an extra centimeter of added practicality.... :D

Also, I prefer fork mounts versus trays for wheel-on, with the crutch support. Lowering the bike's COG and a more secure mount reduces a lot of swaying of the bike. I got a nice padded wheel bag and put the wheels in the rear. I think I first found out wheel bags existed through one of mtbscott's posts -- so thank you.

Finally911 02-28-2014 11:13 PM

Thanks for the replies. I ordered the roof system from Suncoastparts and a Euro Pitchfork from rockymounts. Hope to take everything, including my bike, for a ride next weekend.

BradB 03-01-2014 12:04 AM

I thought about getting a roof system for bikes, but feared leaving my Porsche unattended for long periods. It seems to taunt the heathens who know you are gone for a while. Unfortunately bad things have happened now and then in my area.

Finally911 03-10-2014 12:57 PM

I mounted the roof carrier system and the rockymount bike carrier this weekend. The end result was an absolutely rock solid connection between bike and car. Like someone else mentioned, there is no movement in the parts and I have extremely high confidence in the system.

Here's a quick review / feedback of the process.

The Porsche system is very well layed out and after you understand how it fits the car it can be mounted/unmounted in less than 10 minutes. Fit and finish is what you would expect with very tight tolerances.

The rockymount euro pitch fork sytem is also excellent, but the instructions that came with it are absolutely terrible. Extremely vague at best and no picture of how it is supposed to look when completely assembled. I even bought the locking cylinders and they came with no instructions at all.

After re-reading the instructions 3 x and realizing it wasn't getting any more clear - I just wound up dry fitting the system, making some adjustments and figuring where everything went I secured it to the carrier.

In the end it was perfect. When the bike is in the tray and the skewer clamped down it feels like the bike is welded to the car.

After my ride yesterday I removed the roof carrier in 10 minutes - to the joyful clapping of my 9 and 11 year old. They hated the look.

socalsteve 03-10-2014 01:33 PM

By far, the nicest rack system out there is the Whispbar by Yakima. It's expensive, but the quality and design innovations far exceed any other bike rack carrier I have ever seen. I have the Porsche cross bars and the Whispbar bike rack, truly a greT combination for transporting my very high end road bikes.

Give them a look at www.whispbar.com

Homeles 03-10-2014 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by gota911 (Post 11152793)
Ye, and after that there will be an option to have a pop-up camper emerge from under the rear spoiler. ;)

These guys crack me up! Next thing they'll want to play DVD's while they think they're a race car driver!

By the way, to all of you I'm referring to, "RACECAR" spelled backwards is: "RACECAR"

Elephant Chuck 03-12-2014 02:23 AM

Did someone say roof rack?

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...ine=1391464909

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...ine=1391545378

jlanka 03-12-2014 08:53 AM

http://www.srautogroup.com/wp-conten...r_winter_5.jpg

Maverick1 10-11-2014 09:07 PM

Which bike racks are better, the ones that hold the entire wheels or the ones that hold the front fork?
Anyone know if this one works well.
http://www.yakima.com/Fit/Details/fr...torType=Yakima

BradB 10-11-2014 09:14 PM

The fork mounted style is much more stable and has a lower center of gravity.

mtbscott 10-14-2014 03:03 PM

I use Rockymounts Euro-Pitchforks on my OEM roof transport system. They're stylishly slender, low, and almost no noise (although bikes can generate some whistling at speed.)
And they come in colors!
http://www.rockymounts.com/bike_rack...fork_s/139.htm

Alex 911 10-14-2014 10:38 PM

You should check out Sea Sucker Vacuum Mounting Systems

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e219c1b51b.jpg

jmfzona 05-09-2015 11:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just picked up the Porsche roof rack system and Thule sidearm bike rack. First time installing the roof rack system took me an hour. It took me 5 minutes to remove and will probably take me five to ten minutes to put back on the next time around.

chuck911 05-10-2015 01:47 AM

Be careful with that around Peter Sagan!

PDK1965 05-10-2015 02:51 AM

sagan is badass!

jmfzona 05-10-2015 08:09 PM

That looks tough to do. Maybe I'll start by riding the bike off the roof, before I try riding onto it. :)

PasPar2 06-17-2015 10:46 AM

anyone with pics of the oem shorty ski carrier #996-801-091-00 ? I cannot find pics of it anywhere

HDRony 11-24-2016 06:25 AM

Hi guys!
I'm about to buy a new 911 carrera s coupe, but I don't know if its worth to order the original roof transport system, what do you think? does the option in the car configurator add any benefit to the car? does the factory prepare the chassis to support more load on the roof?

Anyway, I guess that like any other car in the market, I will be able to attach a transport rack if I don't chose this option, am I right? I am confused because this appears like an option, and it should be in the accessories section.

Thanks a lot

ArthurVandalay 11-24-2016 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by HDRony (Post 13767485)
Hi guys!
I'm about to buy a new 911 carrera s coupe, but I don't know if its worth to order the original roof transport system, what do you think? does the option in the car configurator add any benefit to the car? does the factory prepare the chassis to support more load on the roof?

Anyway, I guess that like any other car in the market, I will be able to attach a transport rack if I don't chose this option, am I right? I am confused because this appears like an option, and it should be in the accessories section.

Thanks a lot

Purchase the Porsche roof rack. The. Best. Rack. The mounting mechanism is unbelievablely engineered.

As as far as the car being prepared differently, I don't think so, but I don't work for Porsche.

If you order when you build it shows up on the build sheet. When you sell- if I was buying the car I would really like to have the rack to keep the car and all it's listed parts together.

If you buy rack from dealer after delivery, when you sell the car keep the rack. Then sell rack in secondary market for a few hundred dollars more for your pocket change. :)

Dirac 11-24-2016 12:42 PM

I used the Sea Sucker system on my Lexus - never had any trouble - no scratches and when you no longer need it, the car is clean.

fbroen 11-24-2016 12:55 PM

OEM rack will not scratch -- it never touches the paint!

bossboy302 02-14-2017 12:51 PM

Old thread: 991 rood rack

For those that have mounted the OEM roof rack bars, what is the distance between the bars?
Thanks

ArthurVandalay 02-14-2017 01:25 PM

35.5"/90cm on centre

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0dfa0c74e1.jpg

PantsFire 07-25-2017 02:31 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread but I tried to order the Roof transport system main support (Part number: 991 801 105 00) for my 911 991.1 and my dealer says it cant be fitted as it needs to be ordered with the car. Is this correct because it seems some of you are fitting it?

ArthurVandalay 07-25-2017 05:32 PM

This is what I ordered. It's the towers and load (cross) bars. Plug and play.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991RTS.html

Porsche_nuts 07-25-2017 05:40 PM

. . . .

PantsFire 07-25-2017 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by ArthurVandalay (Post 14349355)
This is what I ordered. It's the towers and load (cross) bars. Plug and play.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991RTS.html

Did you order your car with support for a roof rack as an option?

Because my dealer says I can't get one and I'm worried I'll damage a rubber seal to find there's no rotary holders.

porscherex 07-25-2017 09:01 PM

The roof transpiration system is standard on a coupe. Look at your manual.

ArthurVandalay 07-26-2017 12:05 AM

Purchased a pre owned 2014 last year. Transport system was not on build sheet nor window sticker.
Just peeled back the rubber strip per owner's manual. The tabs were in there. They are fitted fairly tight. Go for it. Odds are the tabs are there. Here is a link to the manual.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...ual/6/180/page

ArthurVandalay 07-26-2017 12:09 AM

My car is a US car. Not sure about cars for other countries.

PantsFire 07-26-2017 08:24 PM

I checked today, they are there, my dealer is getting a bollocking tomorrow!

ArthurVandalay 07-27-2017 12:26 AM

Yay!

c_Gio 07-27-2017 12:27 AM

991.2's I think need to be ordered ready... 991.1's are all ready...

PantsFire 08-27-2017 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After some berating my dealer fitted it :)

Attachment 1353078

n2cars 08-28-2017 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by PantsFire (Post 14438324)
After some berating my dealer fitted it :)

https://i.imgur.com/wydDfgZ.jpg

Could you have installed it yourself or did it require some special tooling from the dealer?

PantsFire 09-10-2017 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by n2cars (Post 14440597)
Could you have installed it yourself or did it require some special tooling from the dealer?

I could have installed it myself, but I got the dealer to do it first, as it's awkward and needs two people when you're doing it the first time.

Note the little fold up metal thingys the bars connect to are installed on all 991.1's but not all 991.2's, definitely check your manual buying them.

n2cars 09-10-2017 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by PantsFire (Post 14467107)
I could have installed it myself, but I got the dealer to do it first, as it's awkward and needs two people when you're doing it the first time.

Note the little fold up metal thingys the bars connect to are installed on all 991.1's but not all 991.2's, definitely check your manual buying them.

Thank you

bkrantz 09-12-2017 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by PantsFire (Post 14467107)

FWIW my 2017 C2 has the mounting tabs even though I did not specify during the build.

arter 09-12-2017 01:35 AM

It's standard on the 991.2 coupes.

hansel1151 11-15-2017 06:22 PM

If anyone is interested, I have a 991 roof system and 2 thule bike racks (that fit it) for sale. Please PM me. Thanks.

fueledbymetal 11-16-2017 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by jmfzona (Post 12269926)
I just picked up the Porsche roof rack system and Thule sidearm bike rack. First time installing the roof rack system took me an hour. It took me 5 minutes to remove and will probably take me five to ten minutes to put back on the next time around.

This is the rack I'm looking at for my T! Are you able to cruise comfortably at 80mph with it?

Joec500 11-16-2017 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by fueledbymetal (Post 14607897)
This is the rack I' looking at for my T! Are you able to cruise comfortably at 80mph with it?

I have cruised at 100MPH with a bike on top comfortably even though the manufacture warns against it :)

fueledbymetal 11-20-2017 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Joec500 (Post 14608734)
I have cruised at 100MPH with a bike on top comfortably even though the manufacture warns against it :)

Right on, thanks!

Joec500 11-20-2017 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by fueledbymetal (Post 14616116)
Right on, thanks!

BMC TeamMachine and SpeedVagen :)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...13ec2265c6.jpg

pbinsf 05-22-2018 03:48 PM

What about a surfboard!? I need to figure out the best way to mount…thinking of trying to find a USED Porsche Roof Rack/bars, but what about attaching the board to the cross bars?!

Wanting to take up surfing as a new hobby. Hopefully I won't get sand in my car…maybe I will get a little stool and spread out a blanket or something to peel the wetsuit off afterwards. then throw everything in the frunk and off I go…

remember that wonderful plantinum credit card commercial…wish I had that longhand to take surfing. Here's a cute vid...

Any recommendations most welcome...

pb (on the southern Oregon coast)

Jeff_DML 05-22-2018 03:51 PM

I have a porsche roof rack but just end up putting it in the front passenger seat(in a board cover). For the roof rack you can buy a pad that has straps to attach the crossbar, most surf shops should sell.

pbinsf 05-22-2018 04:01 PM

Thank you for saving me 450. Lol…I am a beginner and maybe I will put that 450 toward a suit or board…cheers!

pb

Jeff_DML 05-22-2018 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by pbinsf (Post 15027264)
Thank you for saving me 450. Lol…I am a beginner and maybe I will put that 450 toward a suit or board…cheers!

pb

But only a smaller board will fit in the front seat. so average beginner boards will not fit. There are also temporary foam roof racks you can buy if you want to try. They strap around the roof through the windows.

fueledbymetal 05-23-2018 07:38 AM

Manfred Weis 10-16-2019 09:28 PM

where do you keep your front wheels, on the back seat? I assume they don't fit into the frunk?

good2go 10-17-2019 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Manfred Weis (Post 16172315)
where do you keep your front wheels, on the back seat? I assume they don't fit into the frunk?

I use 1Up that lock wheels not frame. No need to take off tires. I carry road bike and mountain bike. IN the winter I switch to ski/snowboard rack.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e1ebd71ad9.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ef82255feb.jpg

seis-speed 10-17-2019 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Manfred Weis (Post 16172315)

You could put it in the backseat.

I recommend a Yakima Frontloader if wanting to leave the wheels on.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...54f90a60d.jpeg

Rotty991.2 04-26-2020 12:58 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...5172b962a.jpeg
A wheel bag comes with the fork mount bike rack and fits easily in back seat.

Manfred Weis 04-26-2020 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by c_Gio (Post 14353098)
991.2's I think need to be ordered ready... 991.1's are all ready...

my 991.2 had them. Easy to check, just pull back the rubber strip on the front or rear part of the roof and see if it is there.

Ira Blumberg 04-27-2020 04:48 AM

Always fun when the boats are longer than the car ;-)

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...4a81128240.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...6f7d87b6ab.jpg

stoutthedog 04-27-2020 06:46 PM

FWIW the lock cylinders and keys are standard Thule. The key number on the Porsche factory roof rack lock is a straight from Thule. I just ordered and received lock cylinders and spare keys from Thule with the same code as my Porsche key and they all interchange.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b9dcf22d79.jpg
Yes. It fits under the 8' door.

dsddcd 05-02-2020 02:46 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...5ede8d9d5.jpeg

fbroen 05-02-2020 04:40 PM

I have the factory racks from prior car — no mounting points on GT3, however. These work, too. :D

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...989f7a8d6.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3a1ed1ef9.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...6d0410fe7.jpeg

MarbleNY 05-02-2020 06:32 PM

Thats a lot of sea suckers. Two two bike and four bike right?. But very creative! I have a sea sucker, i haven't put it on the 911 yet, i used to use it on my M4 because the carbon roofs didn't come with mounts for roof racks.

fbroen 05-03-2020 05:16 PM

Yes, one two-bike, two one bikes. Things on wing are modified rear wheel holders (to have two cups instead of one per wheel -- belt and suspenders kinda thing... ;-)

punklux 07-31-2022 04:28 PM

So does the rack sit flush when you installed it? I just got mine and it doest sit flat?

[​​​​QUOTE=nmurray22;10659781]My 991 is my only car so it is pressed into doing everything. Strangely 911 turns out to be a great all-rounder because of those silly back seats. They do have their limits however and that is why I got the roof transport system. It takes about 5 minutes to attach or detach with the included torque drive.

Here are some photos of the racks in action with the kayaks holders. I have a bike rack and ski/snow board rack as well so more photos coming of those.

I put the kayaks on this morning and drove up to the lake. Draw a bit of attention… seemed every other car on the highway was taking photos of us. Someone even sent me a photo of us that someone else had taken on the highway they had seen posted on FB. That was only an hour after I put them on the car.[/QUOTE]

RP4S911 08-01-2022 10:38 AM

Anyone ever take photos at Christmas time with a tree on the racks. I've always wanted to do that.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...6476c03adc.png

Joec500 08-01-2022 04:35 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...214866f0f7.png

Sunroof opening works well for ikea runs.

NiteJav 08-03-2022 10:34 AM

I was going for the RC Pro-Am look.
12' and 10' pieces of wood trim, shrink wrapped together.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...6a6ae3ee7b.jpg

dflowerz 08-03-2022 10:44 AM

I have been using the Sea Sucker system to bring my bicycle when I drop my car off for service. Works great! After the first try I got the rack that can also carry the front wheel, as I was worried about getting the inside of the car dirty from the wheel.