Sponsored by:

Back pain from seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:00 AM
MBrin
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back pain from seats

I am planning to purchase my first Porsche. However, when I sit in the seats, I have pain in the sacro-iliac crest area of my low back. I have an Audi A6 and have no problem. I do not like additional lumbar support. I have tried the various seats, and can not seem to get a comfortable adjustment. I noticed that there seems to be a pocket where my buttocks are supposed to be and wondered if I need that filled in. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:26 AM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Whether or not anyone else has this issue shouldn't affect your decision to subject yourself to chronic pain. When I test drove my R8 I noticed discomfort to my left outer thigh but was so taken with the car that I decided to overlook it and assume I'd get used to it. I didn't. I ended up selling it after only a year of ownership and lost my shirt. It's one thing to buy a pair of shoes that you really like the looks of but which are too tight, but for the kind of money you're planning on spending, you need to be comfortable.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:32 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

No. I do have backissues, but others than yours. Hated the bolstered seats in my previous porsche, very uncomfy. Now love the 14 way seats in my 991, so comfy.
But in your case, if all the seats are causing you pain, don't buy.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:02 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my L4/L5 fused from a bike accident and both the fused area and SI feel great with the 14 way seat. I use the lumbar full out and the heated seat on most of the time. try your next test drive like this.........
Old 08-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

I previously had an Audi S5 and really liked the seats. It took me a long time to get the 14-way seats set up to be comfortable (fine now!!!). If you really want a p-car, take some time with the seats as there are a lot of different ways to set them up. If you can't find a comfortable setting then I agree with the other posters: don't buy.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have the 18 way, and it took a fair amount of time to get them adjusted perfectly. For a while I thought I wouldn't get there and was wondering what I might do...but eventually found the right spot and now they are awesome for me.

No one will be able to answer the question but you. Best you can do is work with your dealer to go on a few extended test drives and see if you can find the sweet spot. I had back surgery years ago. One thing I can tell you for sure...Life's too short too be uncomfortable. and that goes for tight shoe too!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:34 AM
ArashApollo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some back problems and find the 14 way seats to have the most incredible lumbar support (first seat I've ever not put lumbar to extend as far as possible). You can adjust the height of the lumbar very well too.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 AM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MBrin
I do not like additional lumbar support.
Everyone who's recommended using the full lumbar has overlooked your statement that you do not like additional lumbar support.

Originally Posted by MBrin
I noticed that there seems to be a pocket where my buttocks are supposed to be and wondered if I need that filled in.
Since it's not a lumbar adjustment issue, you might consider getting a small gel seat cushion to bring with you on your next test ride to see if filling that buttock void makes any difference. If it does, then after you purchase the car you can have a good interior upholsterer take off the seat cushion and add filler in the pocket for you butt.

Number one priority is to be comfortable even for short trips. Otherwise, you'll only concentrate on squirming to find the right position to not feel pain and consequently spend no time enjoying the rest of the experience.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:31 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried all versions of the seats? It's possible given your issue that a less bolstered flatter standard seat may fit you better than the 14 or 18 way.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:18 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Seats are entirely subjective regardless of back issues. I could not take long trips in my last Audi TT-RS without getting out and stretching every hour or so, in my 991 with 14 way seats, I can drive an entire tank's worth of gas without any negative feelings. By the third drive (and some minor adjustments) I had mine right where I wanted them and haven't changed anything since. As everyone else suggests, try some different combinations before laying down your dollars. Referring to the "pocket" you mention, you can move the seat cushion angle and height with the 14 and 18 way seats to maybe fill that in.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:46 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ArashApollo
I have some back problems and find the 14 way seats to have the most incredible lumbar support (first seat I've ever not put lumbar to extend as far as possible). You can adjust the height of the lumbar very well too.
+1000 Also, when I got it the seats didn't seem comfy for my ailing back,but after a couple months it has not been an issue.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:23 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

Yes, these seats can definitely cause discomfort if not adjusted properly.
I have no back problems, however, after certain extended drives I have come out a little achy.

Keep experimenting, but if you have a broad back, be particular about which seat you select.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:35 AM
MBrin
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the input. Here is what I did: taking the recommendation to get a gel seat cushion, I contacted a company that makes seat wedges (Mccartys) and talked with a sales agent who has sat in a Porsche. She recommended one of the seat wedges and explained that when you have sacroiliac pain, the goal is to have the hips above the knees. So I picked one up at a local store and drove down to the dealer. It was too late for a test drive, but I put it into one of the 911's it made a big difference. There was another salesman there and he said that he had other customers with the same problem. Some people remove the bolts on the back of the rails, put 1" of washers under the posterior rail, and then replace the bolt with a longer one, and that effectively tilts the seat forward, like a seat wedge. I will try a few cars this weekend with the wedge, and if all is well, will go ahead and order a new 911. I will keep you posted. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:20 AM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

I can tell you that I get a little twitchy in the 14 way seat because the driver's right side bolster is deeper than the left side bolster which I guess is to make for easier entry. At first I thought I was a little crazy but went back to the dealer and had salesman sit in the car and he agreed. I don't know what its like in the 18 way.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Harold1898
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find the 991S seats comfortable. In my C63 I Could only drive for about 2 hours then I had to get out and go for a walk. In this car I have no such problem. Guess everyone is different.

Quick Reply: Back pain from seats