Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove key fob (entry and drive)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 12:28 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Remove key fob (entry and drive)

For those who have entry and drive, how do you remove the silver key fob they give you? Mine is inserted and starts the car fine, but is stuck in. There seems to be some sort of rectangular button to the left (within the ignition cylinder) but it doesn't do anything when pressed..

Thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 12:49 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

Turn it to the far left and hold it that way 30 seconds and you will hear a click that unlocks the mechanism and you can then remove it.
You don't literally have to hold it, just keep it in that position.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:57 PM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ and if that doesn't work, try to locate the long metal wire behind fuse box cover and read the manual how to use the wire.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, on mine tried that....move that piece & insert the wire into the hole and it comes out.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:45 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by duxsi
Turn it to the far left and hold it that way 30 seconds and you will hear a click that unlocks the mechanism and you can then remove it.
You don't literally have to hold it, just keep it in that position.
this doesn't seem to work.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:25 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what do you mean stuck?

you said it starts the car

the rectangular button is just a cover. You first need to remove that. then use a pointed object to press.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:32 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by kosmo
what do you mean stuck?

you said it starts the car

the rectangular button is just a cover. You first need to remove that. then use a pointed object to press.
I pushed it into the ignition just like the regular "car shaped" key. But I can't pull it out.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:34 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry, I don't have entry and drive, but isn't that fob used for starting the car supposed to stay in there? Why would it need to be removed?

I just have the normal key fob that I have to put in to start and then remove when I stop the car. If the fob gets stuck (power failure) there is a small hole that can be accessed with a wire that is hidden behind the fuse cover. That will release the key. But I was under the impression that with entry and drive there is no need to remove the starter **** thingy.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:41 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by stealthboy
Sorry, I don't have entry and drive, but isn't that fob used for starting the car supposed to stay in there? Why would it need to be removed?

I just have the normal key fob that I have to put in to start and then remove when I stop the car. If the fob gets stuck (power failure) there is a small hole that can be accessed with a wire that is hidden behind the fuse cover. That will release the key. But I was under the impression that with entry and drive there is no need to remove the starter **** thingy.
what you say makes sense in most circumstances. But it would be nice to know how to remove it in case you want to for whatever reason.
The following users liked this post:
C4Shopeful (04-23-2024)
Old 07-25-2013, 04:41 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im going to speculate here and say that you may have bad info. The "****" you twist to start the car is meant to be in there all the time. The only time you need to remove the "****" and use the actual key (the one shaped like a Panny) is when the car cant detect the key (dead battery for example).

This is a perfect example of why I dont like P's version. Whats wrong w/ having a push button?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:58 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

jlanka - I removed my stub and now use my key to start the car.
All other entry and drive functions still work fine.
I walk up to the car, touch the door handle and it unlocks.. same for the frunk opening feature.

The way I removed mine was to turn the ignition on waited a couple of seconds then turn it off (I believe the door was closed the entire time) and waited for a click in the ignition barrel (30-45secs).
At that point the stub simply came out like a regular key.

I hated my dummy key and the way it looked. (At least yours is silver).
Old 07-25-2013, 07:33 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by kosmo
Im going to speculate here and say that you may have bad info. The "****" you twist to start the car is meant to be in there all the time. The only time you need to remove the "****" and use the actual key (the one shaped like a Panny) is when the car cant detect the key (dead battery for example).

This is a perfect example of why I dont like P's version. Whats wrong w/ having a push button?

Well no - the "****" is totally optional. But even so, if it were "locked" in there, what would happen then if I had a dead battery?

I think the poster after this may have a solution, I'll try that
Old 07-25-2013, 07:34 PM
jlanka
Drifting

I walk up to the car, touch the door handle and it unlocks.. same for the frunk opening feature.

The way I removed mine was to turn the ignition on waited a couple of seconds then turn it off (I believe the door was closed the entire time) and waited for a click in the ignition barrel (30-45secs).

Thanks, I'll give this a try
Old 07-27-2013, 02:44 AM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really, never noticed that, I'll have to try it as I hate leaving the key in my pocket as it sometimes slips out and falls between the seat and console, painful to retrieve...I end up putting it in the console compartment!! Not to mention that the dummy key looks like (to a potential thief) that you left the key in the ignition...great tip, thanks!!

PS agree on the button concept, a cool Porsche Crest push button in place of the stub would be awesome
Old 07-27-2013, 09:38 AM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You mention "silver" FOB. Mine is cheap black plastic. Is that an option that I overlooked?

Quick Reply: Remove key fob (entry and drive)