Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Paddle Shift to Neutral - Purpose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 04:35 PM
SkandoSchwabe
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Question PDK Paddle Shift to Neutral - Purpose?

When you pull both paddle shifters simultaneously PDK shifts to neutral. This is useful if you spin the car since it prevents damage by having the wheels pull the transmission and cylinders "backwards" as the car travels tail first.

I'm curious if there are any other situations where this function could be of any use?

If you shift to neutral while driving (in the right direction) the same gear gets reselected if you pull both paddles again. If you pull either it will up or down shift. However of you are not moving PDK will only let you shift into first gear if you have your foot on the break pedal, thus preventing "spirited" takeoffs. It would be nice to have an option to take off a bit quicker the way you can do it with a manual clutch (without going to launch control). I believe the GT3 PDK will have this option, but I don't expect a SW upgrade for the regular PDK to enable this.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-22-2013, 05:33 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I pull paddles waiting at traffic light. We have launch control and mini launch control. Plenty options to get away from a standstill.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:34 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
I pull paddles waiting at traffic light. We have launch control and mini launch control. Plenty options to get away from a standstill.
What is "mini launch control"?

I sometimes do a; left foot brake, paddle to N, throttle to 3000+ rpm, right paddle to 1st and simultaneously drop brake pedal. This sucks.

But that is no where near the simplicity of the GT3. Pull and hold paddles, throttle, drop paddles
Old 07-22-2013, 09:57 PM
WCE
User

Received 177 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes, what is mini launch control (and why does the launch procedure above suck)?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:24 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Mini LC is something that was talked about on 6speed forum. Haven't tried it myself as I'm still breaking in. And I don't think I ever will, because honestly, what is the use of LC, impressing friend and family on test drives ? Porsches are not about launches and drag races, but I digress.
Mini LC appears to be if you aggressively floor the throttle it will take you to a preset rpm (3700 ?) and take off.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-question.html
Old 07-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Mini launch control"

Very simple:

1) Left foot on brake.
2) Hit the throttle with right foot (quickly, so it releases the clutch).
3) RPM will be at around 4000 (depends on normal or sport mode).
4) Take left foot off brake.
5) Enjoy.

In other words, very similar to the proper launch in Sport+ except you don't need to floor it all the way.

Rainier
Old 07-23-2013, 01:34 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

with launch control (mini or regular) how fast do you have to press the accelerator so the clutch disengages? I tried pushing down on it with my left foot on the brake but it didn't seem to disengage. I don't want to make a mistake and lurch forward...
Old 07-23-2013, 03:36 PM
barihunk
Advanced

Same here, can't figure out this "mini" launch control deal
Old 07-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlanka
with launch control (mini or regular) how fast do you have to press the accelerator so the clutch disengages? I tried pushing down on it with my left foot on the brake but it didn't seem to disengage. I don't want to make a mistake and lurch forward...
Just try it. You'll get the hang instantly.

If you move your right foot slowly you will feel that the car wants to go forward forcefully (but easily held by the brake).
If you move the foot faster you will feel the same but you will also notice the clutch nearly disengaging a moment later allowing RPM to build to around 4000(it does not disengage completely but this is a wet clutch so no harm if you don't hold it like this forever).

If you have never accelerated fast before, don't be alarmed. The car is exceptionally well behaved even if you switch DSC off. No wheel spin, not even a squeak. It just goes without drama.
The mini launch gets you going almost as fast as the proper sport+ launch, the difference is not big at all so just make sure you have a bit of space and straight road ahead of you.

I tried the launch on a hard dirt road and was amazed at how good this car tracks even on a compromised surface.

Rainier
Old 07-24-2013, 08:17 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Thx for the clarification Rainier ! Maybe I'll try the mini LC when I get out of breakin :-)
Old 07-24-2013, 10:25 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Pull both paddles back in a turn to dip the clutch and induce a drift.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:32 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

So do I understand it correctly that for a mini-launch you do what you would for a 'true' launch, just not in Sport Plus mode? That is, can you floor it, or do you need to self-modulate to get to the 4k rpm range?
Old 07-24-2013, 10:49 AM
WCE
User

Received 177 Likes on 86 Posts
Exclamation

This "mini launch control" concept of left foot braking against a high revving engine and a slipping clutch does not sound like a good idea...
I am curious about carmandsl's "neutral drop", can you elaborate?
Originally Posted by CarManDSL
I sometimes do a; left foot brake, paddle to N, throttle to 3000+ rpm, right paddle to 1st and simultaneously drop brake pedal. This sucks.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Originally Posted by WCE
This "mini launch control" concept of left foot braking against a high revving engine and a slipping clutch does not sound like a good idea...
I am curious about carmandsl's "neutral drop", can you elaborate?
It's exactly what happens if you use the proper launch in sport+. It drags just for an instant before taking it easy.
For the "mini" launch, all that is different is that you are not necessarily in sport+ and you are not flooring it (even if you do the RPM will stay around 4000 - unless in sport+ where you'll get 6500).

It's not in the manual and you are quite right - we don't know if this is advised or will break your engine or gearbox. All I can say is that it seems to work very nicely indeed.

Rainier
Old 07-24-2013, 02:46 PM
SkandoSchwabe
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Pull both paddles back in a turn to dip the clutch and induce a drift.
Did not think of that one. I assume the outcome is similar to inducing drift by lifting off the throttle - weight transfer? So you pull both paddles, start the drift, then reengage by pulling paddles again to get back on throttle? (insert closed course professional driver disclamer)

Quick Reply: PDK Paddle Shift to Neutral - Purpose?