Sponsored by:

Just another white 991 4S - but she is mine

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:17 PM
purim
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just another white 991 4S - but she is mine

After months and months of deliberation, reconsideration, spousal discussion and prevarication, I finally took the decision on this 4S. I am delighted.

I spent a lot of time test driving almost every 911 I could get my hands on before arriving at the 4S. I was very close to buying a 2011 GTS, which is really a fabulous car, but in the end went for the 991 because of its new technology and looks. When the 987 came out, it made the 996 interior old immediately. I would not this to the same extent of the 991 compared to the 987, but I felt that in the future, whenever I saw a 991 while driving the GTS, I would be wondering 'what if' Anyway, who knows what will happen when the next GTS comes out in the next few years.

Why the 4S over the S when I live in Southern CA? I felt after all the test driving that the steering really benefits from the extra 100 lbs or so on the front axle. The red stripe at the rear is just iconic. The guy who parks next to me at the office has a 2006 4S without the red stripe - its not the same. No GT3? I need the rear seats for the kids. I have a 10 month old and an al,most 3 year old, and they had a blast over the weekend when we crammed the kids seats in the back. Kudos to Porsche for the attention to detail on installing LATCH and the anchor points behind the rear seats for the tethers. Some executive in Zuffenhausen obviously has young kids.

I come to this 991 having driven at 2006 Boxster S which I purchased in 2007 with 5000 miles and have driven (and babied) to, as of today, 78,873 miles. I just love this boxster, and I am keeping it. I'd just regret selling it, when it is worth far more to me emotionally that the few thousand I would get for it as a trade or on the private market. After all those miles, it has never failed to start. Not a creak or squeak in the interior.

Some aspect of weight are fascinating. I thought the front luggage lid on the boxster was light. But when I opened the lid on the 991, It almost flew out of my hands it was so light. For me, the attention to detail and the excellence in execution sets these cars above all others.

Without further ado, here is the build:

911 Carrera 4S
0Q White
176 PSE
250 PDK
276 Automatic Dimming Mirrors
323 Adaptive Sport Seats + (left)
324 Adaptive Sport Seats + (right)
342 Seat Heating
352 PDCC
428 SportDesign Wheel
446 Wheel caps color Porsche crest
541 Seat Ventilation
603 PDLS
625 Porsche Entry and Drive
630 Light Design Package
640 Sport Chrono Package
651 Electric Sunroof
680 Bose Surround Sound
690 Sirius XM & HD radio
693 6 disc cg/DVD changer
762 Launch Vehicle
840 SportDesign Steering Wheel
P07 Adaptive Sport Seats Plus
P37 Bose Audio Package
P3C Prem Pkg Plus w/ 18 way seats
UJ Luxor Beige lthr front seats
XRP Wheel spacers, 5 mm
XSC Porsche Crest on headrests
ZAB Ornamental Porsche Crest.

Red seat belts were subsequently dealer installed.

I did not spec this car myself, but came across it at a dealership out of state and that was enough. I am in CA, and I had been looking at cars at dealerships all over, even though there are probably 10 dealerships within a 150 radius of where I live. The 2 concessions I made was to forgo Burmeister and full leather. I am over Burmeister. On full leather, the threads on this site and others as to the strength of the leather, particularly on the center console, made me amenable to forgoing this. (as much as think the deviating stitching examples posted elsewhere on this forum are fabulous). I should say that the full leather on my Boxster has held up marvelously. So I wonder if this is something I will not be able to shake going forward.

I'll add that I bought it from a dealer in Texas having not seen it in person. I felt confident after all the testing I had done and from the info and photos from the dealer. I was not disappointed when I arrived to collect.

First impressions: it is amazing what 6 years does to car development. The 991 is just so much bigger inside than the 987 and the level of tech advancement is to behold. The fit and finish impeccable. I enjoy the Jekyll and Hyde nature of the car enormously. It is a car that hums along in 7th on the freeway at 1800 rpm at 80mph, like a comfortable sedan. But press sport + and..........KABOOM. Its the supercar I always wanted.

Thanks again to all posters on this forum, who have provided me with so much intelligence and information about the 991 to enable me to make a truly informed decision.

What? no photos no respect? Sure, here are some photos.
Attached Images      
Old 07-15-2013, 10:48 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Beautiful.. Congratulations!!!
Old 07-15-2013, 10:51 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

Congrats - she most certainly is yours.

Very nice and chunky C4S. Well optioned and not overcooked.

Enjoy the next 2000 miles and then let it rip.

Have you considered clear side markers?
Old 07-15-2013, 11:23 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

According to my salesman regarding the break-in period, "The book says 1000 miles but my Porsche school drivers say break in hard and last forever." I'm following that advice. Life's too short to do otherwise. The only thing I'll avoid is driving at any steady RPMs for any extended period of time and I won't do any unnecessary panic stops. Other than that, I'm going to drive it like I stole it. Anyone who wants to wait 2000 miles please don't flame me. It's your car and do with it as you see fit. Live and let live.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:57 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
Other than that, I'm going to drive it like I stole it. Anyone who wants to wait 2000 miles please don't flame me. It's your car and do with it as you see fit. Live and let live.
Some choose to lease and flog it like a rented mule, while others buy and cherish it to the letter of their law and plan on keeping it "forever".
I chose the latter approach with my 2k.

To each his own..
Old 07-16-2013, 12:55 AM
purim
Cruisin'

Call me Grandmama, but I am in the careful category. Put it this way, with the boxster (and now with this) I choose not to get on the freeway entrance closest to my home, but I drive cross streets to the next entrance so that the engine has had a chance to warm up properly....

Clear side markers on order from Suncoast Parts. It is funny how everyone hates those orange markers. I'll soon have a pair of orange markers for sale. Lightly used, much blinkage left. Pm me to make a deal
Old 07-16-2013, 10:12 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Beautiful (just white) 991!!!

I too am searching (for a 997.2) well beyond CA and I was wondering if you could please let me know the dealer you purchased from in TX? TIA!

Use it in good health!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:35 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Is it just me or are those parking spaces REALLY small??

Perhaps there is a market for magnetic bubble wrap after all??
Old 07-16-2013, 10:44 AM
bzliteyear
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

+1. beautiful...love the white.

btw, how did you decide on the PDK...i've not driven it, but isn't it a totally different experience than driving manual and using clutch?

PL
Old 07-16-2013, 10:44 AM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Beautiful car, congrats! Love the 4S red stripe...
Old 07-16-2013, 10:58 AM
Gene G
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoy your new toy. She sure looks fine.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:28 AM
E36325is
Intermediate

Awesome and Congrats! I am waiting for mine in white as well...
Old 07-16-2013, 11:33 AM
windboat
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Great looking car, need to do the CLEAR side markers ASAP, the amber ones distract from the white.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Trimmer
Track Day

I got same advice exactly...and I am!

No plans to keep forever as I typically like to trade up beginning of model years unless something compels me to tighten my cycle.

LOVE driving my 4S!

According to my salesman regarding the break-in period, "The book says 1000 miles but my Porsche school drivers say break in hard and last forever." I'm following that advice. Life's too short to do otherwise. The only thing I'll avoid is driving at any steady RPMs for any extended period of time and I won't do any unnecessary panic stops. Other than that, I'm going to drive it like I stole it. Anyone who wants to wait 2000 miles please don't flame me. It's your car and do with it as you see fit. Live and let live.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Trimmer
Track Day

I got same advice exactly...and I am but, haven't had the opportunity to try the Launch Control....yet.

No plans to keep forever as I typically like to trade up beginning of model years unless something compels me to tighten my cycle.

LOVE driving my 4S!

Quick Reply: Just another white 991 4S - but she is mine