Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991S PDK throttle hesitation from start

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 06:06 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Had the PDK update on my to do list for months. Didn't think I would notice one way or another so saw no rush. Rainier's post got me in gear to bring it in, though. Thank you mate.

Just picked it up from dealership, but I had my labrador in the passenger seat, and she likes smooth riding better, so looking forward to testing later.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:45 PM
barihunk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Called to see if there was an update, apparently no updates are due. Just gotta learn to live with it.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SkandoSchwabe
I find it pathetic that Porsche does not have a solution to this issue. How about enabling the GT3 feature of pulling both paddles and releasing to initiate an instant clutch release?
my 2013 C4S does this^
Old 08-29-2013, 01:22 PM
Bocatrip
AutoX

Any updates on the hesitation issue?
Old 08-29-2013, 02:12 PM
sid_vicious
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hammer911
my 2013 C4S does this^
Does it do it in all modes or just sport plus?

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:07 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by SkandoSchwabe
I find it pathetic that Porsche does not have a solution to this issue. How about enabling the GT3 feature of pulling both paddles and releasing to initiate an instant clutch release?
Originally Posted by Hammer911
my 2013 C4S does this^
Unless you have a special secret update, this is a GT-3 feature as yet unavailable on any current 991 or 991S version.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:07 AM
sid_vicious
Instructor

Originally Posted by sid_vicious
Does it do it in all modes or just sport plus?

Thanks.
Finally got it to work! Originally I was pulling both paddles and keeping them pulled back. Key is to pull both paddles and release them - car goes into shifts into neutral. Also I don't think it's an update issue since mine is a 2012 and the owners handbook describes this feature.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:08 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sid_vicious
Finally got it to work! Originally I was pulling both paddles and keeping them pulled back. Key is to pull both paddles and release them - car goes into shifts into neutral. Also I don't think it's an update issue since mine is a 2012 and the owners handbook describes this feature.
That's what in the new GT3, and yes in normal Carreras you need to release them.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:58 PM
SkandoSchwabe
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

More useful for spirited take off and a potential hesitation issue fix would be:
1. Pull both paddles and hold -> Shift to neutral
2. Adjust appropriate RPM
3. Release both paddles -> Engage appropriate gear (1st if standing still) in quickest possible fashion (like launch control but w/o foot on the breaks, or like quickly releasing the clutch on a manual)
I thought this is what is enabled on GT3 and was hoping to see this as an update for the regular C's - maybe should have gotten the manual after all......
Old 09-30-2013, 12:12 AM
Bocatrip
AutoX

Any new updates with the hesitation? Some 981 members at Planet 9 are pulling their hair out over this issue.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:53 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

No more issues at all since I had my PDK updated.
It's great. Quick off the line in just the right way. No more need to try and fake it in some other way.
Also better behaviour when overtaking fast - everything has just been sharpened up.
Birdie told me the update is actually similar to the way it was when the 991 was first released. Then they had a few PDK breakages and tuned down the system while they tried to find out what was going on. Seems they are happy again so now we have it back the way it was supposed to work.

To add some cred to this, I can believe it as when I went for my first test drive in a C2S it was one of the very first of them in the country and the salesman was keen to demonstrate the quite violent gear changes when flooring it in Sport+ (with the PDK). When I got mine 9 months later it just did not feel that way at all - yes - there was still a bit of a "thump" when the gears got thown in but not the way I thought I remembered it. I put it down to me just having gotten used to the car. Well, it's certainly fixed and the way I remember it.

Rainier
Old 10-07-2013, 11:21 AM
MacAna
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you request the update from the CT dealership? The Joburg guys don't offer any information or pro-active advice regarding software updates. Is it something I should ask them to look at?
Old 10-07-2013, 02:39 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainier_991
No more issues at all since I had my PDK updated.
It's great. Quick off the line in just the right way. No more need to try and fake it in some other way.
Also better behaviour when overtaking fast - everything has just been sharpened up.
. . . . .

Rainier
What was the date of the PDK update?

My May '13 release update did not make any difference in off the line hesitation - still the same from when new. (May '12 build)

In Sport+, the kick-in-your-*** upshifts seem less violent.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:00 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Originally Posted by MacAna
Did you request the update from the CT dealership? The Joburg guys don't offer any information or pro-active advice regarding software updates. Is it something I should ask them to look at?
No I did not request anything. I took it for the 10.000Km oil service and they told me my car was marked for a "campain" to do with the PDK and engine control unit. The service manager could not tell me what the update was all about and that "most likely I would not notice any difference".
Well, boy was he wrong on that one. I felt the difference right away pulling out of the Porsche center !

I took delivery of the C2S in December 2012 and the update was done six weeks ago or so.

Rainier
Old 10-09-2013, 01:29 PM
hff
Track Day

Originally Posted by MacAna
Did you approach JHB with this? Dont feel like waiting for the service if this makes a diff!

Quick Reply: 991S PDK throttle hesitation from start