Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991S PDK throttle hesitation from start

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe a build date poll. My MY13 C2S PDK has a build date of Jan 2013 and I have the hesitation.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:50 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold1898
Got mine three weeks ago and no hesitation.
I didn't notice it for many months during the break-in period and not until I started driving it more aggressively.

Find a safe place without traffic. A parking lot will do as you will only need to accelerate from idle to say 1500 rpm and stop. Stare at the tach during this and you should be able to see it as well as feel it. Once you do, it will be staring back at you!

Simply floor the throttle in 1st from a stop and you will experience the following;
In Normal mode, idle is at 700. Hit throttle, it jumps to 800 rpm, delay, then keeps going.
In Sport and Sport Plus, idles at 800. Hit throttle, it jumps to 900 rpm, delay, then keeps going.

If you are smooth with the throttle, you may not see/feel it.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:32 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

It's almost gives a sensation of turbo delay
Old 08-04-2013, 06:38 AM
Harold1898
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Carman, I took the car out today just to test this and I honestly have no hesitation. I traded in my 2012 C63 so I am used to immediate acceleration from a stand still. I can't fault the thing. I must say it is a rough change down from 2nd to 1st with the PDK if you are moving slowly. Having said that, the AMG was very similar and that never bothered me. Maybe it will develop over time, something to look forward to......not.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:28 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Carman, I took the car out today just to test this and I honestly have no hesitation. I traded in my 2012 C63 so I am used to immediate acceleration from a stand still. I can't fault the thing. I must say it is a rough change down from 2nd to 1st with the PDK if you are moving slowly. Having said that, the AMG was very similar and that never bothered me. Maybe it will develop over time, something to look forward to......not.
I also had the rough change from 2nd to 1st but after a recent software update it no longer thumps, it's actually very smooth now. I also (still) have the hesitation but it doesn't really bother me. The dealer said it was normal......as they all say...
Old 08-04-2013, 02:47 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Hmmm . . . . no hesitation. Just to be sure, you have to stomp the throttle, like a drag race.

Well maybe there is something "wrong", but in the end it's right! I didn't notice it for several months and attribute that to non aggressive driving and not being as in tune/familiar with the car as I am now.

Can you send me your PDK ECU?
Old 08-04-2013, 05:21 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Without having experienced it yet, but based on all the comments, I've come up with a theory as to how to avoid the experience: Don't got straight to WOT from a standing start unless you're in launch control mode. Spirited driving on streets with traffic usually doesn't call for WOT from a standing start and you can get very spirited driving off the line with 3/4 throttle. Only go WOT once underway or during launch control. Problem solved.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:32 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
Without having experienced it yet, but based on all the comments, I've come up with a theory as to how to avoid the experience: Don't got straight to WOT from a standing start unless you're in launch control mode. Spirited driving on streets with traffic usually doesn't call for WOT from a standing start and you can get very spirited driving off the line with 3/4 throttle. Only go WOT once underway or during launch control. Problem solved.
Most certainly, if you go easy for the initial few hundred rpm and then floor it, you can avoid the delay sensation.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:32 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

On the street with a 991S, WOT from a standing start is way beyond "spirited driving", well on the way to gonzo-nutso.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:19 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
On the street with a 991S, WOT from a standing start is way beyond "spirited driving", well on the way to gonzo-nutso.
100% agree. I think those who are complaining about the delay are doing just that, though. Maybe on a deserted street and not in traffic, but it seems that the perceived lag is when WOT is initiated from a stop, not something to be done on streets, anyway.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:42 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

100% agree. I think those who are complaining about the delay are doing just that, though. Maybe on a deserted street and not in traffic, but it seems that the perceived lag is when WOT is initiated from a stop, not something to be done on streets, anyway.
Regardless, it's rather a pain in the rear to have a car that decides what it wants to do rather than doing what the driver asks it to do. I can think of a number of emergency situations coming from a standing start where a delay could be a safety issue, and no amount of excuses makes it OK.

What's really annoying is the manufacturer calling it "normal" operation.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:18 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
I can think of a number of emergency situations coming from a standing start where a delay could be a safety issue, and no amount of excuses makes it OK.
In 50 years of driving I have never had the need to make an emergency WOT from a standing stop. If you want to WOT on street roads during normal driving, that's your business but you're going to have to adjust to the new normal. Otherwise, hit the gas off the line but just don't floor it and - voila! - no hesitation and probably no speeding ticket, either.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:23 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

In 50 years of driving I have never had the need to make an emergency WOT from a standing stop. If you want to WOT on street roads during normal driving, that's your business but you're going to have to adjust to the new normal. Otherwise, hit the gas off the line but just don't floor it and - voila! - no hesitation and probably no speeding ticket, either.
BS - a lame response. In an emergency situation, 99.99% of people will either floor it or slam on the brakes. The operation of the PDK is flawed in at least two ways that have been clearly identified by a LOT of drivers; why do you continue to make excuses for it?
Old 08-05-2013, 03:04 AM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Perhaps "flooring it" is not the correct term in that a spirited start from stop does not entail nor require leaving the pedal there until you are driving reckless. A simple quick 1/4 throttle will expose the delay.

Honestly, some of you are taking this way out of proportion in the thinking that the issue only occurs if you are driving "gonzo-nutso".

The delay only occurs at 100 rpm above idle and is more perceptible the more aggressive you are with the throttle. Tonight in normal mode and a just quicker than the next guy acceleration from stop (which for the 991S is completely lame) and the delay is there.

Take a look at my video in posting #5 to see how "gonzo-nutso" I am driving to expose this issue.

No excuses Porsche, just fix it.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:58 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
BS - a lame response. In an emergency situation, 99.99% of people will either floor it or slam on the brakes. The operation of the PDK is flawed in at least two ways that have been clearly identified by a LOT of drivers; why do you continue to make excuses for it?
I have no delay. That aside, 300 milliseconds would be 1) likely inside the variability in any sample of driver response time and 2) likely irrelevant in your hypothetical emergency statistic.

Quick Reply: 991S PDK throttle hesitation from start