Sponsored by:

2014 cayman s for $91k or carrera?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 04:41 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tangram
My crystal ball sees a massive amount of seller's regret in your future.
Hence my quandary!
Old 07-28-2013, 06:48 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

There will always be some kind of regret. Either its regret selling the 993 or its regret not getting the 991. Take your pick. To me it's clear, the 991 is THE Porsche to have !
Old 07-28-2013, 07:12 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
There will always be some kind of regret. Either its regret selling the 993 or its regret not getting the 991. Take your pick. To me it's clear, the 991 is THE Porsche to have !
Have you owned a 993?
Old 07-28-2013, 08:02 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
Hence my quandary!
I have been there and done that and to me the 991 is so superior there is no contest and certainly no regret. You have to spend time in one to get that.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

They're awfully different cars. What's 'better', a 458 or a Dino?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:57 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has the author come to a determination?
Old 07-29-2013, 12:32 AM
Stevie 911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, thanks for the opinions. I think it probably doesn't make sense to spend 91k on the cayman. I think I'll either trim 5k off my build or try to find a dealer with something close to what I'm looking for while at the same time find an aggressive salesman who will possibly give me a 6 % discount which will get me out the door at around 80k before taxes. The build seems more likely since my search for something in dealer inventory seems futile since I can't find anything close to my build. I don't understand why dealers aren't building any exciting caymans with the performance options. I'm finding the PSE & PASM to be the hardest to find. Makes no sense to me. Dealers state "we don't build inventory cars with these options because they're too expensive". Meanwhile all the lame builds are sitting on their lots forever. I'm still flirting with the thought of building a 2014 carrera s in the 115k range and just calling it a day. I'll be extending myself money wise but probably will be happier in the long run & no regrets.
I think both the new cayman & 911 are tie in the looks dept however after driving both the 991s feels a lot faster & comfortable
Old 07-29-2013, 05:06 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Stevie 911
OK, thanks for the opinions. I think it probably doesn't make sense to spend 91k on the cayman. I think I'll either trim 5k off my build or try to find a dealer with something close to what I'm looking for while at the same time find an aggressive salesman who will possibly give me a 6 % discount which will get me out the door at around 80k before taxes. The build seems more likely since my search for something in dealer inventory seems futile since I can't find anything close to my build. I don't understand why dealers aren't building any exciting caymans with the performance options. I'm finding the PSE & PASM to be the hardest to find. Makes no sense to me. Dealers state "we don't build inventory cars with these options because they're too expensive". Meanwhile all the lame builds are sitting on their lots forever. I'm still flirting with the thought of building a 2014 carrera s in the 115k range and just calling it a day. I'll be extending myself money wise but probably will be happier in the long run & no regrets.
I think both the new cayman & 911 are tie in the looks dept however after driving both the 991s feels a lot faster & comfortable
Whatever you do, don't compromise. You clearly want the 991 ! Do not settle for the Cayman for financial reasons. Either make the financial part work and get the 991 ! Or don't get a new Porsche at all and keep enjoying your current ones ! That's my take on the situation, stemming from own experience in the past !
When you start buying cars like these with your brain instead of your heart, you end up regretting it and it will cost even more money in the long run !
Old 07-29-2013, 09:56 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stevie 911
You have a sound approach, good luck.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:09 AM
Frissen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally i would try to go for the 911 first then the Cayman, i would focus in color choice and interior, then keep options low and drive the heck out of it
Old 08-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Rich.
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Steve, I think 911 is the way to go. Just look at your user name! Stevie 911!
Old 08-04-2013, 02:34 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
. The problem is I also test drove a well optioned 991S. OMG I loved it. The Cayman was great. But the 991 spoke to me.

Trouble is, to afford it I really need to sell both the 987 and the 993. And still have to toss in buckets of cash. It's a heart wrenching decision that I still don't have an answer for. But it has brought me over from the 993 forum here to start researching 991's. so for now I will just torture myself.

You have to be nuts to even consider selling an appreciating car (tip of iceberg) for what will be a rapidly depreciating one... No matter if you go with the sports coupe (981) or the grand touring (991). Just enjoy your 993 while the new stuff continues down its mass produced road to depreciation--an inevitable fate for all but the limited production GT3.

P.s.
If you offered me the BGB 3.8L Cayman or a 3.8 991 for the same bargain price I'm peeling out in the Cayman without a second thought. Walter Rohrl concurs.
I really do not understand this "you are nuts to spend xx,xxx on a Cayman" yet somehow its okay to pay these grand sums on a street-engined water-cooled Carerras? Unless you have a bonr for longer/wider grand touring cars then there's no reason to justify overpriced options in a rear engine car while balking at them in racing's preferred layout.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:47 AM
Larry L
Race Car

Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Cayman S.

Mid-engine is the future of Porsche sports cars. I'll never buy another 911.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:28 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Larry L
Cayman S.

Mid-engine is the future of Porsche sports cars. I'll never buy another 911.
That would stop Porsche from differentiating itself from the pack. Everyone does midengined cars. And you see it in the 918, midengined and no match for the competition. The future is rear engined for Porsche !
Old 08-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars

That would stop Porsche from differentiating itself from the pack. Everyone does midengined cars. And you see it in the 918, midengined and no match for the competition. The future is rear engined for Porsche !
Exactly. Without the 911, Porsche wouldn't be Porsche, but just another sportscar manufaturer. Cayman and Boxster are great cars and in some ways better than the 911, but the true appeal of Porsche is and will always be the rear-engined 911 and the history/heritage that comes with it.

Suzy991

Quick Reply: 2014 cayman s for $91k or carrera?