Sponsored by:

My 2,500 Mile Review - 991 4S

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 09:24 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts
Default My 2,500 Mile Review - 991 4S

Things you need to know: It is my DD, GT configuration/options, will never track it, will red line it every chance I get. I also use it to get the groceries and pick up dry cleaning every week. Mods: SpeedFilm, 3M ceramic tint, clear side markers.

991 4S Options:
1. Aqua Blue Metallic w/ Luxor Beige (standard int.)
2. Sports Exhaust
3. PDK
4. MF Steering (heated)
5. 20-inch Carrera Classic
6. Park Assist (F&B)
7. Sunroof in glass
8. Prem Pkg Plus with 14-way seats
9. Folding mirrors
10. Power Steering Plus
11. Bose
12. Voice control

Previous cars of relevance: 2006 Cayman S, 2012 Audi S5

PDK (9/10) – Love it. No real choice on transmission this time (Cayman was manual) as the commute is too much for me with a manual and I also want my wife to be able to drive it and she won’t do manuals. I really disliked the Tiptronic in the Boxters I would get as loaners a few years ago. I’m not sure I could ever put my finger on it. I certainly did not like it trying to start in second gear but beyond that it just seemed unnatural. It is also worth noting that my Audi S5 had a very reluctant 6 speed slush box which drove me up the wall. PDK on the other hand is as advertised (fast shifts and intuitive). It does what it should do when it should do it. I don’t even mind “normal” mode when it up-shifts as fast as possible. I just learned how far to push the pedal to make it kick down. Only demerit is that it will hesitate off the line for a split second (gas-pause-GO!).

Heated steering (10/10) - My hands get cold.

Multi-function steering (9/10) – I can’t really compare to anything else since it is all I know. I like having all the features on the wheel, I’m a bit clumsy with stalks. I know most like the look of the sport design wheel and the paddles, but I like the look of the MF wheel. I also like the push-pull shifters.

NAV (9/10) - I’ve seen some dissatisfied with the Porsche NAV but I’ve always liked it. Still do.

Heated / Ventilated seats (10/10) – I’m soft, what can I say.

Noise (8/10) - I expected 4 out of 10 based on my Cayman noise levels and Car & Driver decibel measurements. I’ve been surprised at how quiet it is just cruising and in general. It can get noisy over certain pavement and when you are on throttle, but not as loud as I expected. Lower noise level isn’t a bad thing for me. The quieter the car the more willing my wife is to ride in it. Given the other option is her A4 with CVT, I’m happy I get to drive my car more.

Power Steering Plus (NR) – All I know is that I like the steering at low and high speed. Also I have to navigate a steep crooked driveway backwards so the low effort is critical.

Audio/Bose (7/10) - I’m not an audiophile and I don’t like it loud. Having said that, the 991 Bose is TON better than in my ’06 Cayman. The iPod interface is not as good as Audi (much harder to navigate around) and the sound quality is not as good as the B&O in my S5.

Auto start / stop (7/10) – I know I’m an outlier here, but I like it. You just have to know when to shut it off so it won’t annoy you (stop-go traffic and at stop signs). I like the coast feature and I have no issues when the car shuts down and then restarts while sitting at a light.

Glass sunroof (10/10) – Love it. Given it is my DD, the glass makes the cabin more livable for me. I sometimes pop it up or slide it back to show people how it works. Otherwise it stays down.

Luxor Beige standard (9/10) – Wanted a lighter cabin and risked it given the negative glare comments many folks have made. Glad I did it. The glare is there but I wear sunglasses most of the time it is bright enough and that takes care of it.

14-way (10/10) – I’m really not the rater here, my wife is. She hated the standard seats in my Cayman, they were uncomfortable for her. She loved the seats in my S5. The 14-way seats don’t bother her so I’m going 10/10 as we get to take my car more.

Bluetooth (8/10) – My call quality has been good so far.

Parking Assist - Front / Back (8/10) – I’ve really grown to like this. I have to operate my car in tight spaces.

Acceleration (9/10) – Other than the slight hesitation off the line, it is OMG fast.

Braking (10/10) – I love Porsche brakes.

PSE (8/10) – It is very pleasing.

Sport (6/10) – Doesn’t do much for me but I do like it in manual mode.

Sport+ (10/10) – When I get to use it (rare)...holy...crap...
Old 06-16-2013, 09:46 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

very well thought out review. Thanks for posting it. Mine is due at the dealer on 8/2 so I hope to use this as a template to post my thoughts. I'm also in agreement on the PDK in order to give my wife a chance at driving it.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:26 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-S

Luxor Beige standard (9/10) – Wanted a lighter cabin and risked it given the negative glare comments many folks have made. Glad I did it. The glare is there but I wear sunglasses most of the time it is bright enough and that takes care of it.

you can now order black/luxor beige bi colour
Old 06-17-2013, 06:52 PM
drandall
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post. My 911S is similarly optioned and will be here next month. I am looking forward to the experience.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:02 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good deal ' tho I would give the navi/pcm a 3/10

Quick Reply: My 2,500 Mile Review - 991 4S