Sponsored by:

re Shut up and drive.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
Porsche developed the new 7 speed manual gearbox for the 911 - why WOULDN'T they just drop it in the GT3 as a "no charge option" for the "purists"?
Why would you want to go slower with a track biased car ? Opting for a manual will cost you carlengths per lap ! The fun of being pure, of rowing your own gears and heel-toeing will fade very quickly if PDK cars are blowing past you at the rate of a gatling gun. Plenty to do and learn on track before you do that perfect lap, for you not to feel the so called lack of involvement of a PDK!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:28 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
Why would you want to go slower with a track biased car ? Opting for a manual will cost you carlengths per lap ! The fun of being pure, of rowing your own gears and heel-toeing will fade very quickly if PDK cars are blowing past you at the rate of a gatling gun. Plenty to do and learn on track before you do that perfect lap, for you not to feel the so called lack of involvement of a PDK!
Have you ever considered what isnt fun for you is for others? That's a dense statement.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:50 AM
indecisive
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
Porsche developed the new 7 speed manual gearbox for the 911 - why WOULDN'T they just drop it in the GT3 as a "no charge option" for the "purists"?
Why make it a no charge option when they can have people pay extra for it?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:51 AM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Be honest now: is there even a single one of you who's bemoaning Porsche's decision to not offer the MT-7 on the GT3 who was seriously planning to order one and then has decided against ordering because you can't get the manual? I don't hear anyone griping about the Turbo & Turbo S also not offering the M-7, so why aren't we hearing more complaints about that?

If you were planning on ordering a GT3, considering the lack of any competition in that price and performance range, I'll bet those serious buyers among us will still order the GT3 and love driving it.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:07 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

It seems to me some people are coming up with sort of conclusions pulled right out of their dorsal area...
Personally,that is exactly why I wouldn't order the 991 GT3 for now...and that is the lack of a manual transmission.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:18 PM
MacAna
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Porsche if you're listening.....I want the GT3 steering software updates!!!
Originally Posted by kosmo
Me too
Is it likely?

Without the extra bits, do you believe Chris's opinion that it is mostly software?
Old 06-13-2013, 04:12 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoCayenne
Awesome video and review. The cars that Porsche produces are spectacular.

I want both, but will still love my C4S. Single = GT3, Married+Kid = C4S.
and DrJay = Both...

Old 06-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac Anamourlis
Is it likely?

Without the extra bits, do you believe Chris's opinion that it is mostly software?
It's consistent with what I've heard elsewhere, so, yes.

As he said in the video, a more firmly suspended car with rigidly mounted lower control arms at the front will definitely add stiffness, which will impart more steering "feel" and steering wheel weight. If you want to test this yourself, just put the dampers in firm mode on your 991 and notice the steering get chattier and a little heavier.

But based on Chris's very strong reaction to the steering I don't think these pretty incremental changes would have been responsible for that big of a change.

Even if you only get 80-85% of that goodness through the changes to the software controlling the assist, that would be a win. Hell, I'd even pay $400-500 for a Powerkit-like upgrade to get it.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:43 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
and DrJay = Both...

It's good to be the Good Dr.! I'm going to have to settle for a C2S and a tow vehicle for the racecar.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
Be honest now: is there even a single one of you who's bemoaning Porsche's decision to not offer the MT-7 on the GT3 who was seriously planning to order one and then has decided against ordering because you can't get the manual?
*raising hand*

It was on top of my short list until PDK-only was made official, then off the list it came and I ordered something else. It will be a fantastic car. Just not for me.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:34 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

I ordered one and figured I will drive the 964 when I have that burning desire to wow the spectators at my DE events with a beautiful heel toe downshift.

Seriously though, the wave of the future is the phasing out of 3 pedal performance cars.....Ferrari, McLaren, etc....sad but true, technology moves forward. Whether that is better or not is a matter of opinion.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
Have you ever considered what isnt fun for you is for others? That's a dense statement.
"Fun" is always going to be a subjective call, but there is one thing that can be stated clearly, I think. If you are "bored" or feel "uninvolved" when driving a 981/991, on-track or off, your problem is not the choice of transmission. You need to see someone with expensive wallpaper before the problem, whatever it is, starts affecting other areas of your life.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:24 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
*raising hand*

It was on top of my short list until PDK-only was made official, then off the list it came and I ordered something else. It will be a fantastic car. Just not for me.
So what did you order that was better with MT?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:33 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 147 Posts

Gallardo. RWD, manual; no electronic steering, e-brake, or suspension components. Visceral engine with great torque, plenty of power, and redline at 8,500.

Better? For what I want in a weekend sports car, yes. It does pain me a bit, as I have been a die-hard Porsche owner for my entire adult life. And because I will have to start buying Ed Hardy shirts and giant watches.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:48 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
It's good to be the Good Dr.! I'm going to have to settle for a C2S and a tow vehicle for the racecar.
If that's settling sign me up!

Quick Reply: re Shut up and drive.