Sponsored by:

2013 911S or Cabriolet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 10:56 AM
JonDUnning
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2013 911S or Cabriolet?

LONG-time Porsche fanatic and finally at a place in my life when I can afford one.

I can swing either a new 911S Coupe or a new 911 Cabriolet. I've test driven them both and am up in the air.

I'm nervous about the top getting cut or vandalized. It may be needless worry but I've had it happen to two friends with Mercedes. I live in Southern California and the car will be garaged but I plan to use it for errands and it will often be in a parking lot. I sure liked the openess and just general FUN of the Cab.

The S is a beast. Both were equipped with PDK but I swear the S had a better sound and acceleration. The coupe never felt cramped.

Such a difficult choice and I'm certain that whichever one I get I'll second guess myself.

I know it's a personal choice but anybody that's done both that has any advice I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2013, 11:32 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

S Coupe! Better grunt and many extras. Little paranoia goes with it.

That said, the new convertible looks great (so well integrated into the car's lines) and it's great to be top down now and then, but most of the time the top remains up.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The new top is fabric over metal plates. Can't get through it. Insulation is on par with Audi acoustical S5 cab top - superb. I've put mine up and down several times a day since September '12 at different speeds, bumps, corners etc.. Zero problems. Get a mods4cars smart top and everything is one press and release, remote up/down, etc. it's freaking awesome. PSE with the top down cannot be touched - it's amazing. Get a steering wheel heater. Live like its a Superbike without need for helmet, bugs, or rain gear. Love my cab
Old 06-08-2013, 01:42 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default You're too damn convincing, Nicoli!

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
The new top is fabric over metal plates. Can't get through it. Insulation is on par with Audi acoustical S5 cab top - superb. I've put mine up and down several times a day since September '12 at different speeds, bumps, corners etc.. Zero problems. Get a mods4cars smart top and everything is one press and release, remote up/down, etc. it's freaking awesome. PSE with the top down cannot be touched - it's amazing. Get a steering wheel heater. Live like its a Superbike without need for helmet, bugs, or rain gear. Love my cab
Old 06-08-2013, 02:30 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't make your decision solely on the possibility of someone vandalizing your car. The weather in So. Cal is always top-down-friendly so that's the way to go. I'm only getting mine in a Coupe because I already have several convertibles. Go for the Cabrio, no question!
Old 06-08-2013, 02:44 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If this car is a keeper, pay the extra $ for an S Cab. That insures no regrets.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:34 PM
JonDUnning
Advanced

It's most likely not a keeper. Thus I have the funds to either go "S" or "Cab". Interestingly enough, this isn't really a coupe or cab question, but more of a power or cab question.

I don't know that the standard 911 sounds like the S. Maybe somebody can clear that up. Does the S with PSE and the normal C2 with the PSE sound exactly the same? I LOVED the S sound on my test drive. I think with the Cab I was more focused on the fact that it was a cab and didn't pay as much attention to the engine sounds.

Quick Reply: 2013 911S or Cabriolet?