Sponsored by:

A Question Regarding PDK vs. Ferrari F1

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 10:25 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
RE experience with automated mechanical transmissions- Porsche developed and dominated with its PDK 20 years ago. The trans in Formula 1 cars is a quite different beast from what is in the street cars "F1" marketing designation and all.
correct. Ferrari's F1 box is not really an F1. Formula 1 boxes are single.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:28 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 583 Posts

I Think there is a small delay from when you press the button or pull the paddle on upshifts. I only have the 997.2 but was trying various modes last night. In sport +, it seems to be almost instant especially in very spirited driving. In sport or normal, there is a small delay. This is all on upshifts. On downshifts it seems instant. Moral - use sport + when in manual mode.

Now as to the actual change time - in other words, time it takes to change gears, its pretty quick. I assume its quicker than a 430 as that is a single F1 transmission vs. DCT. I assume the 458 is faster still.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:06 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Folks here appear "involved" enough to debate a differences of a few hundred milliseconds. Elsewhere there are hot shoes loving giving up seconds in quarter miles for the involvement of shoes with pedals. Its a big world.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:24 AM
E36325is
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both r dual clutch boxes, just made by different manufacturers, Porsche ZF and Ferrari Getrag. Both are not what we normally call automated manuals that r found in F430 and Aventador. And yes the F box got a faster paddle response.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:46 AM
W. MITTY
Instructor

Received 244 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks for the informative responses. It seems the consensus is that the "INPUT/GEARCHANGE DELAY" in the PDK is indeed noticeable. I guess the Ferrari spoiled it for me. I am somewhat relieved that it wasn't all in my head. And yes, I think that one can tell the difference between 100 ms and 200 ms when an input/response is involved. Talk about first world problems Can't wait to see what improvements have been made with the GT3. That car ought to be a track monster. No more heel and toe, that's for sure...
Old 06-07-2013, 11:51 AM
W. MITTY
Instructor

Originally Posted by onapex
curious, were you using the standard PDK buttons or the optional sports wheel paddles? from what I've read, the Ferrari is around 50ms and the upcoming GT3 is 100ms. the standard 991 is probably well above 100ms, so not surprised you can notice the lag. think around 300ms we're perceptive enough to notice the diff.
I tried the buttons and the shift lever, but neither car had paddles.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:53 AM
W. MITTY
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Could it be that actual shift speed is also a function of throttle position? That is if your foot (or some other indicator) suggests you are not in a hurry, the transmission is mapped for more smooth rather than more fast?
Most certainly true. I have noticed this even in the Ferrari. Maybe I was being too gentle on the test drive. I'm always too careful with cars I don't own
Old 06-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Can't compare the PDK to F-car, but owned a 2013 M3 DCT - BMW's latest itineration & not to be compared the their SMG. BTW, this was the first double clutch auto for me.

The BMW DCT shifts hard & consequently feels fast in both auto & manual mode. It is unpredictable & jerky at crawl & low speeds. The DCT brings back memories learning how to operate a manual shift for the first time - at times even embarrassing.

PDK is completely different. Shifts are smooth. Smooth means quick in my view. In manual I move the lever and the next gear is there right now, but doesn't slam like the BMW. In regular auto & sport , it's uncanny how it finds the right gear...driving up a hill, coming out of a corner etc. Mostly makes the gear selection better than me doing it manually. In sport + auto mode, the car turns into a wildcat...not for me in suburban traffic. Best reserved for canyon carving by myself.

Many 6 speed manual NSX's in my past (they are considered by many to be one of the finest shifting cars ever made). The Porsche 7 speed manual is good, but no comparison to the NSX's precision IMO.

I am happy with the PDK. No regrets.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:08 PM
mgent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the pleasure to drive, quite extensively, a 430, 458, LP560, 997.2 TTS and a 991 CS... The trans in the 458 is head and shoulders above the others. Some owners actually complain that it is too fast, and they don't 'feel' the hard shift like in a 430, in fact the 2013 programming added a 'kick' back in on the 458.. The LP560 and 430 are about the same, and I believe they are both single clutch... In sport mode, both are really aggressive, and a ton of fun... both are not great in a parking lot or in traffic, however... The PDK is clearly behind these in shift speed - even in sport+ and during a long stint of driving hard... The shift itself is plenty fast, but there is a noticeable lag from lever pull to engaged gear... You notice it some in upshifts, but doesn't bother me so much, but you really notice it in downshifting, more so when going down a few gears immediately before corner entry.. I understand the 991 GT3 has a better box, and is much more responsive, and hopefully that programming can make its way to non GT3 cars, if even only in sport or sport+ mode in time...

quick summary - the 458 spoiled you. Just wait until the new 'scuderia' come out next year, as I'm sure it will be improved further...
Old 06-07-2013, 05:16 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 583 Posts

Read this somewhere before. The actual shift itself is 40 milliseconds. I am sure that is not the total from when you press the button or pull the paddle to the completion of the gear change. Its just the gear change. It should be faster than a single F1 gear box.

---

What are the Benefits of PDK

Actually, there are many, but the two biggest are:
1.SPEED. The dual clutch provides barely perceptible shift points with little to no power loss. In fact, gear changes happen in a mere 40 milliseconds. Faster than you can blink your eye by a factor of 8 and at least twice as fast as Jeremy Clarkson can come up with a new pithy comment about Porsche. This translates into more speed and faster lap times, much faster.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:38 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is really a rehash of this one:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...rsion-pdk.html
Old 06-08-2013, 05:44 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

I have driven my friend's 458 for a couple of hrs and yes it's a tad faster gear change in manual mode vs my 4S pdk but there's no significant difference as far as I could tell. Porsche has significantly improved pdk in 991 vs 997.2 and I'm sure GT3 must've been equivalent if not better than 458...

Quick Reply: A Question Regarding PDK vs. Ferrari F1