Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 08:16 PM
Premier
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Need to Know About Clear Bra - 991 Example

Since we @ Premier have been at it since '97, we would like to share with some 991 enthusiasts on what to seek when it comes to paint protection film. Hopefully this information is useful for those who just picked up the 911:

1. First and foremost, installer installer installer is the key. This is stressed because there are and will constantly have new installers coming into this industry. Although, there may not be anything wrong with a newbie, we would assume you wouldn't want your car to be their training vehicle. The length of time in business indicates a certain level of experience. Legitimate businesses should have a business license, so if you are unsure of the length of time the company's been around, just do a quick reference search on google or your the City would have available publicly online business licenses.

2. Precut and Custom - This is equally important as the installer. This is not a question about utilizing a precut template that is generated via a CAD software then cut to the sheet of paint protection film. If the installer can't lay film down because of experience, it does not matter whether it is precut or custom - IT WILL LOOK HORRIBLE IN THE END. With that said, a competent custom installer, the end result would generally be better than a precut kit. However, just because an installer states he or she does "custom" doesn't mean custom installers are all equal. This goes back to experience and even amongst the experienced installers, there may be a wide margin when it comes to the results and that is because this is a Craft.

Below is an example of what a custom install looks like on a white 991 Cab. We did the full hood and front bumper only:

CloseUps with the camera only inches away

Spectra PhotoSync IRD - Highest heat blocking window film in industry
Authorized Modesta and Nanolex Dealer

Checkout our Youtube Channel!
Premier's Youtube

B: 510-623-1308
42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA 94538
sales@premiermobilegroup.com
http://www.facebook.com/premierprotectivefilms

Old 06-01-2013, 12:45 AM
jkonva
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

Agree...that is nice work. I went with the full hood this time (partial in the past). I was a little nervous about it but I love it. No line!
Old 06-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Premier
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here are some more different angled close ups. If you look very closely you will see the seam, but realistically you'd have to get very close to the painted surface to find it.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Premier
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jay-S
Agree...that is nice work. I went with the full hood this time (partial in the past). I was a little nervous about it but I love it. No line!
Indeed. The cost to get a full hood and to not see a line running across is priceless.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Premier
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

By comparison, here is a 997 that just came in to get things redone. (Work was not performed by us initially) Customer used a company that was more inexpensive than us. The installer tried redoing it twice and the owner of this car decided to take his loss and come in for us to redo the whole thing:

Old 07-14-2013, 06:26 PM
NokiaLumia
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

what does anyone know about X-Pel protective shields?
http://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_ul...ction_film.asp
THey say and I saw the video - it heals itself from scratches.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:03 AM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NokiaLumia
what does anyone know about X-Pel protective shields?
http://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_ul...ction_film.asp
THey say and I saw the video - it heals itself from scratches.
I am in the UK. I have had the Xpel ultimate on 2 cars and I can say its truly the best paint protection ..I've had 3m and venture shield on previous cars...the clarity is amazing and yes it does self heal..I used a company called Paintshield and they really did an amazing job..I would recommend Xpel over any other, even though they are super expensive but in the long term the best option IMO.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:31 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Both X-Pel and SunTek offer self-healing PPF. Some installers prefer to install SunTek because the film is easier to work with and doesn't show as many stretch marks. Sometimes the stretch marks on PPF are visible with polarized sunglasses and it looks like the paint has been touched up with an air brush, particularly on darker colors. On the other hand, I assume this means the X-Pel film is thicker/harder, so those are your choices.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:03 PM
Premier
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here's another one - Tesla Model S done by someone "close to you guys" in the words of the owner of this new car. There are deep razor cuts into the paint and the job was redone 3 times by the same company before the owner gave up and brought it to us.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 PM
yashagrawal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So what options are there in the NJ region...

Quick Reply: Need to Know About Clear Bra - 991 Example