Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anything i need to do upon buying the car (exterior-wise)

Old 05-28-2013, 11:10 AM
DrGiggles
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anything i need to do upon buying the car (exterior-wise)

apologies for asking a dumb question that likely was already asked on the forum (i couldn't come up with a query to find it though). Will be receiving a car in a few weeks. Already having it clear bra'd. was wondering if there was anything else that needed to be done (should the clear bra have to be waxed?) I live in the NYC metro area so willl have to send the car out for any work to be done. just want to try to get everything done in one go. thanks in advance. pictures to come.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:00 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Car needs to be thoroughly cleaned before Clearbra is installed (Go for at last full hood and fenders). No need to wax after application.
Tire hazard insurance may be worth your while given NYC roads.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:14 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Saw clear bra on an '09 carrera; looks awful and dull compared to the rest of the car and can't be removed without risk of damage, or so I've been told.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:03 PM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not really sold on wraps. I have seen some really good and bad ones. I have had one car that had the hood and mirrors wrapped. It was a 360CS that I had purchased used. The shine of the paint under the wrap was pretty good.
I would consider using opti-seal which actually adds an appox. 2micron layer to the clear coat. The finish has to be absolutely swirl free so if your paint isn't perfect, you will need a color correction before professional application. That's true even for a new car. Once the sealant is placed, if you had swirls, they will remain. Since the Opti-selant adds to the clear, the car hardly ever has to be waxed. Bird poop will not etch into it as it does sometimes on the factory clear coat. Professional application can run $700. If you need a color correction, you can double that number.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:01 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

My dealer put on a half bra as a purchase bonus 13 months ago when I got the car. It is easy to care for (so long as you don't get polish under the edges by being careless). I use the same process as for the paint- clay bar, mild polish and top off with liquid wax. It has not yellowed and has a few nicks that to not extend down to the paint.

Everyone I know with a newer Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo and Corvette and the like has full frontal clear bras. The half (hood/fender) bras are fine too, but wont catch the odd high flying stone. The new materials don't yellow. Some are "self healing" so that tiny marks (which in the absence of a bra would be a paint chip) disappear. 600-700 for half+mirrors and painted spoilers, and 1200-1500 for full frontal is what I have heard from people I have asked.

Last week I saw a black 991 with a full frontal that I could not tell from just paint. The owner also advised about the benefits of custom rather than templates and really good prep work by his installer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anything i need to do upon buying the car (exterior-wise)