Sponsored by:

E-Gas response

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:00 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts
Default E-Gas response

Any other MT owners (possibly PDK as well) notice that there's a significant delay between when you fully lift off the throttle and when the car actually begins to decelerate? I've noticed that when in normal mode and decelerating, there's at least a 1 sec. delay before the car actually begins slowing. Less noticeable in sport and sport plus modes, but still there. I realize that there's always a bit of elasticity in e-gas systems, but it's a bit disconcerting that the car doesn't begin to slow immediately when the throttle is lifted.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:12 AM
ds2k1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never noticed. I'll see if I notice tomorrow. Amazes me how much y'all notice about your cars. I'm in awe, quite frankly...
Old 05-23-2013, 08:13 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by pfan
Any other MT owners (possibly PDK as well) notice that there's a significant delay between when you fully lift off the throttle and when the car actually begins to decelerate? I've noticed that when in normal mode and decelerating, there's at least a 1 sec. delay before the car actually begins slowing. Less noticeable in sport and sport plus modes, but still there. I realize that there's always a bit of elasticity in e-gas systems, but it's a bit disconcerting that the car doesn't begin to slow immediately when the throttle is lifted.
I think a delay has been built in for emissions control from the earliest days of Bosch mechanical fuel injection (around 1974). One-one thousand is a long time.

But now you have me wondering if it is set to give a little richness to also generate the overrun pop and crackle (aka backfire). That would be about the right time to induce an every time smile. Maybe PSE has conditioned me to not noticed the delay.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:37 AM
SB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is e-throttle mapping "feature". Certainly wasn't there in 997.1S. It is part of making the car less hardcore and more GT like. Certainly not as bad as MB's smoothing/delay of throttle tip-in, but half way there for sure. I absolutely hate it. That's why non-sport mode is useless to me. I always drive with sport mode on. I don't really feel it much then.

Originally Posted by pfan
Old 05-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ds2k1
Never noticed. I'll see if I notice tomorrow. Amazes me how much y'all notice about your cars. I'm in awe, quite frankly...
Your driving shoes probably take away a little bit of the feel...
Old 05-23-2013, 05:33 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

...I'm still amazed by what I call the "Star Wars" effect....it kicks in when I'm accelerating down an onramp WOT...revs up and down, speedo up and blur all around the car....I look down and a few seconds later I'm doin 95...I don't notice much about delays, burps, shifts or anything else...perhaps it's my advanced age...
Old 05-23-2013, 07:48 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think it is a space-time dimensional shift.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:02 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by rnl
...I'm still amazed by what I call the "Star Wars" effect....it kicks in when I'm accelerating down an onramp WOT...revs up and down, speedo up and blur all around the car....I look down and a few seconds later I'm doin 95...I don't notice much about delays, burps, shifts or anything else...perhaps it's my advanced age...
Yes, that is part of the conspiracy to move the 911 into the GT ranks and away from the pure raw sports cars of yesteryear. Wave when you pass them.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:05 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Oh sh@#. Other Porsche owners have been waving to me too. Even today. Nobody respects the "flash" anymore.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:03 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Yes, that is part of the conspiracy to move the 911 into the GT ranks and away from the pure raw sports cars of yesteryear. Wave when you pass them.

That's a "pure raw sports car" over there in the avatar to the left

Just painted in a metallic Ferrari Tour de France Blue paint (obscenely priced at over $500 a gallon)
Four forward speed manual with two electric over drive gears
A mighty 120 hp (up from the stock 65)
3 Link rear with coil over shocks and panhard rod (definitely not stock)
Ceramic coating on headers
Dual Carbs
Kent 717 cam, aluminum flywheel,
No AC
No Power Steering...and...

.....it almost caught fire when the fuel filter started leaking the other day.....

The specs on that car are:

0-60 mph.....yes.

While I enjoy driving my MG, I love my Porsche...there is no substitute.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:06 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by rnl
That's a "pure raw sports car" over there in the avatar to the left

Just painted in a metallic Ferrari Tour de France Blue paint (obscenely priced at over $500 a gallon)
Four forward speed manual with two electric over drive gears
A mighty 120 hp (up from the stock 65)
3 Link rear with coil over shocks and panhard rod (definitely not stock)
Ceramic coating on headers
Dual Carbs
Kent 717 cam, aluminum flywheel,
No AC
No Power Steering...and...

.....it almost caught fire when the fuel filter started leaking the other day.....

The specs on that car are:

0-60 mph.....yes.

While I enjoy driving my MG, I love my Porsche...there is no substitute.
oh, and I hadn't' considered hot rods!

Quick Reply: E-Gas response