Sponsored by:

Best gas for 991

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
I too once thought the same thing... but then I saw the result in black and gunk.

Take a look at the black barbeque-like gunk on the top of the intake value in the attached photo. That's Costco gas gunk. Gunk from not adding valve cleaning detergents. That valve should be as clean as a whistle with a slight yellow-gold tint.

That's what Costco cost savings is doing to the intake valves on your magnificent motor. That reduces airflow into the cylinder... and air IS power.

Save now, pay later.
Thanks for taking the time to post + photos!

Here's Costco's side of the story:

http://www.costco.com/gasoline-clean-power.html
Old 05-22-2013, 10:03 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

[quote=Hothonda;10482878]Thanks for taking the time to post + photos!

... Costco has closely studied fuel additives and engine deposits, and conducted extensive fuel tests at nationally-recognized laboratories. As a result, we decided to increase the detergent additives in our fuel to provide a better value to our members.
Translation:
Our gas used to suck. Now, it sucks a little less. Happy motoring!
To be fair, with direct injection, your intake valves shouldn't much care about the gas additives. If you have a lot of combustion residue on your intake valve stems and seats, you have bigger problems.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:00 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

[quote=Noah Fect;10483558]
Originally Posted by Hothonda
Thanks for taking the time to post + photos!

Translation:

To be fair, with direct injection, your intake valves shouldn't much care about the gas additives. If you have a lot of combustion residue on your intake valve stems and seats, you have bigger problems.
When it comes to "who do you trust he most" - the oil companies or a company like Costco ?

So far I never been screwed by Costco on anything.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:09 AM
kes7u
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

When did the oil companies screw you?!?!?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kes7u
When did the oil companies screw you?!?!?
Yesterday....and I guess since 1973 when they decided gas was too cheap.

The debate about Costco's gas quality can go on forever....it works for me & the price is always fair (relatively speaking).

In closing I will say that Costco gas is not available everywhere I go, but when it is that's where I purchase. The facilities are spotless, handles on the pumps are clean & I get 3% back.

My Porsche seems to agree w/the gas along w/ 5 prior NSX's + who knows how many other vehicles over the years.

Done
Old 05-23-2013, 11:55 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this thread, especially the part about BIg oil and Costco, should be moved to an off topic thread.

Kes7u, which oil comp do you work for?

Hothonda, i like costco, and I agree w/ you. Their customer service is excellent. A hot dog and coke for $1.50- how can you beat that?! I used to use their super gas, but my car started knocking, so i stopped and the knocking went away. Another friend had a similar issue. So I havent been back to their pumps in a while. I just basically use the gas recommended by the manufacturers, tho I'm sure theres some behind the scenes happening there. Having said that, even "premium" brands can have problems. Ask my friend that. Last year his BMW has problems after filling up at a SHell station. Turned out that station was in a remote part of town and didnt get a lot of traffic and there was an unusal amount of water in the gas. Go figure. I guess gas is like a box of chocolate- you never know what youre gonna get.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:01 PM
kes7u
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Rant removed. Off Topic.

Last edited by kes7u; 05-23-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:37 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kes7u
Rant removed. Off Topic.
That musta been a heck of a rant.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:38 PM
ww007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
That musta been a heck of a rant.
Damn, missed it

But JohnnyBahamas, where did you get those pictures from? I don't know if I would consider one set of photos proof of anything, unless they were done after a series of tests in a carefully controlled environment. And even then, I'd want to compare them to valves that were exposed to top tier gas, everything being identicle except for the fuel used.

I always assumed the additives claims were just marketing BS. Have there been any scientific studies comparing the different fuel brands? That Costco web site seemed to hint that there were laboratories testing this stuff, but is any of that data available to the public?

I guess I've always been a skeptical person when it comes to claims made by companies. It's amazing how much of our perception of brands is colored by marketing.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:42 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon Y
Shell? Chevron? Mobile?

And why.
It's all the same gas basically. Who's going to call them out on it? The international refinery police?

Just pick a gas station that looks like it is in good shape and hopefully no water or other contaminants in the station tanks than normal.

Stay thirty my friends.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:59 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ww007
Damn, missed it

But JohnnyBahamas, where did you get those pictures from? I don't know if I would consider one set of photos proof of anything, unless they were done after a series of tests in a carefully controlled environment.
Those pictures are mine, unfortunately. Those are the valves from my Cayenne turbo S after 27,000 miles of Costco gas... basically, 2006 to 2010. I took them in 2010 after pulling the intake manifold to preemptively change out the Cayenne's infamous plastic coolant pipes.

My evidence is, as you properly note, anecdotal. The scientific method was not used.

Further anecdotal evidence, I had the intake manifold off again just this last Sunday, May 19th to preemptively replace the infamous plastic 'T' coolant junction that only turbo Cayenne's have that I did not know about back in 2010. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take photos of the clean valves after the last 24,000 miles using Chevron and Shell. Not an exaggeration to write that the valves are clean as a whistle now. Again, only anecdotal.

Important to note, as a sage previous poster pointed out, that unlike the 991 with its direct fuel injection, the valves in that picture have intake manifold injection... so similar valve build up can not be an issue on the 991.

Last edited by JohnnyBahamas; 05-23-2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: to add the line across the bottom.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
The 100 octane gasoline is only available at 76...in Cali since max Octane at any gas station (chevron/ shell) is 91, I personally prefer chevron but I now go for mixing up 100 with 91 at 76 to get to 93 or above octane rating. I feel a marked difference in car performance!
New to this forum with my first Pcar. Think I've spent about 4 days reading all the old posts - all the way to page 50+.

I saw it says to use 93 octane, and all I can seem to find in the Bay Area, CA is 91 octane.

Is there anything above 91 available? Paid this much - want to get the most out of it
Old 06-22-2013, 12:48 AM
meine911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
Originally Posted by fester
The 100 octane gasoline is only available at 76...in Cali since max Octane at any gas station (chevron/ shell) is 91, I personally prefer chevron but I now go for mixing up 100 with 91 at 76 to get to 93 or above octane rating. I feel a marked difference in car performance!
New to this forum with my first Pcar. Think I've spent about 4 days reading all the old posts - all the way to page 50+.

I saw it says to use 93 octane, and all I can seem to find in the Bay Area, CA is 91 octane.

Is there anything above 91 available? Paid this much - want to get the most out of it
I believe with CA regulations, fuel standards and supply restrictions, 91 (R+M)/2 is about as good as it gets.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:08 AM
lspain
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using Sunoco gasoline here. I will note that, according to Sunoco , they are the "largest manufacturer and refiner of racing gasolines in the world." Over 5 years, my Cayman S seemed to do very well with it and we will see about the 991. I will note for the record it is also reasonably priced in comparison to other available choices (no Costco locally).

http://www.racegas.com/
Old 06-22-2013, 12:16 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by lspain
Using Sunoco gasoline here. I will note that, according to Sunoco , they are the "largest manufacturer and refiner of racing gasolines in the world." Over 5 years, my Cayman S seemed to do very well with it and we will see about the 991. I will note for the record it is also reasonably priced in comparison to other available choices (no Costco locally).

http://www.racegas.com/
+1 also...I use a Pentagon Federal Credit Union Visa card....5% off on all gasoline purchases, no limit. Military will qualify as will Red Cross blood donors

here is a link
https://www.penfed.org/Platinum-Cash-Rewards/

I have no other affiliation with this FCU....I do however despise commercial banks and most commercial and investment bankers...

Quick Reply: Best gas for 991