Sponsored by:

Track Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 04:02 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Track Numbers

What is everyone using for track numbers on their car? Magnets don't work. I'd like something that I can take off for semi-daily driving.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:12 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

White marker on the window
Old 05-14-2013, 04:15 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

tape, store bought or the DIY kind.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:27 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Yes, obviously I could marker or tape my car. I was looking for alternatives to the magnets. Something that looks... nice. People spend thousands of dollars to change things like wheels. It's not that odd, I think, to want some nice numbers on the car at one of the places it's likely to be photographed.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:32 PM
kosmo
Race Director

here http://www.suncoastparts.com/categor...xteriorRN.html
some of the guys use the reusble #'s however i heard they lose stickness in short time.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:34 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got some reusable vinyl numbers for the doors for $60-$75. These are large squares with two numbers on them, not just the numbers themselves. These look better and are more reusable. Plus a logo can be added for the "sponsor." The trick is to ensure that they are tight along the front edge (no bubbles). Otherwise dust gets in the bubble, ruining the adhesive and adding an abrasive component to the numbers.

Just in case, I have low adhesive painters tape and white shoe polish in my track bag if I can't use that number or they want a number somewhere else other than the doors.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:35 PM
kosmo
Race Director

typo

Last edited by kosmo; 05-14-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:44 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
What is everyone using for track numbers on their car? Magnets don't work. I'd like something that I can take off for semi-daily driving.

I use adhesive, reusable vinyl numbers. They're available in many styles, from many vendors. I've had good luck with izoomgraphics.com. I get four or five events out of a set of numbers, before they get grungy enough that I need to replace them.

If you use the adhesive numbers, be very sure that the car is clean where you apply them. Because if you get any dirt at all on the adhesive you'll never get it off!

DMoore
'13 C2S
'10 Panamera 4S
Old 05-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Navy CDR
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Separate magnet numbers as long as they are not too big (not bigger than 6 inches). If you get a magnet sheet with the numbers the sheet WILL peal off while driving at speed on the track. You can use the thin reusable vinyl numbers also but I have found they work best on the windows.
I have been using separate numbers on my car for well over 14 years and have only lost one number. When I first started on the track I used a magnetic sheet and lost one almost every other weekend. I cut those numbers out and am still using them for track days.

PCA National DE track instructor. (We can't say certified, PCA legal issues)
Old 05-15-2013, 02:05 AM
DMoore
Pro

Originally Posted by Navy CDR
Separate magnet numbers as long as they are not too big (not bigger than 6 inches). If you get a magnet sheet with the numbers the sheet WILL peal off while driving at speed on the track. You can use the thin reusable vinyl numbers also but I have found they work best on the windows.
I have been using separate numbers on my car for well over 14 years and have only lost one number. When I first started on the track I used a magnetic sheet and lost one almost every other weekend. I cut those numbers out and am still using them for track days.

PCA National DE track instructor. (We can't say certified, PCA legal issues)
The problem with magnetic numbers, on a 991, is the fact that the doors are aluminum. The only surface on the car that's steel are the rear fenders. Many organizations insist that numbers must be on the doors - which leaves adhesive numbers in one form or another as the only choice for a 991.

DMoore
'13 C2S
'10 Panamera 4S
Old 05-15-2013, 04:53 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Unfortunately, most of these suggestions aren't very helpful without specifics. I was more curious what people were actually using on their cars (besides tape and markers), with specifics of where I could purchase them.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:56 PM
kosmo
Race Director

here again:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/categor...xteriorRN.html
Old 05-15-2013, 08:12 PM
DMoore
Pro

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Unfortunately, most of these suggestions aren't very helpful without specifics. I was more curious what people were actually using on their cars (besides tape and markers), with specifics of where I could purchase them.
Here again:

izoomgraphics.com

I use the "Track Day" numbers - adhesive, reusable individual numbers. I have the Montreal style, 2 tone (silver over black) 8" numbers.

DMoore
'13 C2S
'10 Panamera 4S
Old 05-16-2013, 03:47 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

I like these guys. Both permanent and reusable available plus customizable.
http://www.kistudios.com/race-numbers.html
Old 05-16-2013, 06:09 PM
John52
Instructor

Two options I have used:
1) Go to a sign shop and get them to make stick-on vinyl numbers. I had them make up enough for a season (at a reasonable cost). Apply to the "quarter windows" when you need them and remove and discard when done.
2)Or.. I made up a clear vinyl sheet the size of the rear quarter window, applied a number to it and then taped it on the inside of the window. You can re-use as often as you like, but it was a pain to mount so I ended up using the disposable window numbers.

Quick Reply: Track Numbers