Sponsored by:

991 C2S Cab build - Mexico Blue

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Montesquieu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 C2S Cab build - Mexico Blue

Hi folks. This is my first post and first Porsche build. My dream car would have been a Mexico Blue GT3 with rear seatbelts for child boosters, but Porsche can't and won't allow this because the car is certified only for 2 seats. This car needs to accommodate my twin boys, so no GT3.

I worked with Sascha Glaeser, who was super helpful, to spec this out. Governing thought is, "Enjoy this car for 20 years, no regrets". The details:
  • C2S cabriolet
  • Mexico Blue paint to sample
  • Sport techno wheels in black
  • Black cab roof
  • Every available performance upgrade: Powerkit (includes PSE, Sport Chrono), PDK, PDDC, PCCB, PDLS
  • Every convenience upgrade: power steering plus, electric folding mirrors, park assist, adaptive cruise control, voice control, telephone module
  • Premium package plus with power sport seats (14-way)
  • Burmester stereo package
  • SportDesign front fascia
  • Espresso natural leather with cognac contrast stitching
  • Cognac natural leather seat inlays (front and rear), door center panel, lower dashboard, and lower side rear panel
  • Carbon interior package
  • Carbon multi-function steering wheel
  • Personalized carbon door sills
  • Random stuff: smoking package, painted keys, custom leather key pouch, no model designation, Porsche crests on seats, personalized floor mats with leather edging, painted wing mirrors and rear apron

I'm obviously ordering this without thoughtful regard to resale value. I've done the same over the years with other custom purchases (bikes, clothes, shoes and boots), on the theory that I'll enjoy what I buy more and longer.

If you would change or add to anything, please advise away! My choices already reflect many hours of wisdom gained from this forum.

By the way, my build date will be delayed from July for two reasons: Porsche is not yet ready with cognac stitching or the personalized door sills. The former is being prepared for the turbo release, theoretically by September, and the latter requires a replacement to the plastic base below the door sills, also targeted for September. I'm choosing to postpone my build until those are ready, rather than compromise. The contrast cognac stitching is particularly important to me.

Thanks for the wisdom many of you already shared!

Last edited by Montesquieu; 05-07-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Gruson
Instructor

Should look and be one incredible 991! Add PSE for sure. Sport Exhaust.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:27 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

It is totally possible to install Rear seats in a GT3... Some insurance companies accept it. Others not... I even had a 3rd seat installed in a F360 10 years ago for my son to be able to come on rides...
If your dream is a GT3 call Porsche and see what they can do for the country in which you will drive.
The car as you have it specced will look stunning to me! Congrats
Old 05-07-2013, 01:32 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The Mexico Blue is going to look amazing Can't wait to see this beast when it arrives.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

please send pics of the color when you get it - love your choice. The cabriolet with sport exhaust is truly fabulous. great interior as well! salute
Old 05-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Montesquieu
Advanced

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
It is totally possible to install Rear seats in a GT3... Some insurance companies accept it. Others not... I even had a 3rd seat installed in a F360 10 years ago for my son to be able to come on rides...
If your dream is a GT3 call Porsche and see what they can do for the country in which you will drive.
The car as you have it specced will look stunning to me! Congrats
I did ask Sascha Glaeser about this specifically yesterday. He said, "No way." Maybe that answer applies just to the US. I opted not to pursue after-market options if Porsche wouldn't support the belts and rear seat directly.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:02 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is one crazy good build. Can't wait to see pics once it's delivered.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:03 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Epic.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:12 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Omg. I cannot wait to see this :-)
Old 05-07-2013, 06:30 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Montesquieu
Hi folks. This is my first post and first Porsche build. My dream car would have been a Mexico Blue GT3 with rear seatbelts for child boosters, but Porsche can't and won't allow this because the car is certified only for 2 seats. This car needs to accommodate my twin boys, so no GT3.

I worked with Sascha Glaeser, who was super helpful, to spec this out. Governing thought is "enjoy this car for 20 years, no regrets". The details:
  • C2S cabriolet
  • Mexico Blue paint to sample
  • Sport techno wheels in black
  • Black cab roof
  • Every available performance upgrade: Powerkit (includes PSE, Sport Chrono), PDK, PDDC, PCCB, PDLS
  • Every convenience upgrade: power steering plus, electric folding mirrors, park assist, adaptive cruise control, voice control, telephone module
  • Premium package plus with power sport seats (14-way)
  • Burmester stereo package
  • SportDesign front fascia
  • Espresso natural leather with cognac contrast stitching
  • Cognac natural leather seat inlays (front and rear), door center panel, lower dashboard, and lower side rear panel
  • Carbon interior package
  • Carbon multi-function steering wheel
  • Personalized carbon door sills
  • Random stuff: smoking package, painted keys, custom leather key pouch, no model designation, Porsche crests on seats, personalized floor mats with leather edging, painted wing mirrors and rear apron

I'm obviously ordering this without thoughtful regard to resale value. I've done the same over the years with other custom purchases (bikes, clothes, shoes and boots), on the theory that I'll enjoy what I buy more and longer.

If you would change or add to anything, please advise away! My choices already reflect many hours of wisdom gained from this forum.

By the way, my build date will be delayed from July for two reasons: Porsche is not yet ready with cognac stitching or the personalized door sills. The former is being prepared for the turbo release, theoretically by September, and the latter requires a replacement to the plastic base below the door sills, also targeted for September. I'm choosing to postpone my build until those are ready, rather than compromise. The contrast cognac stitching is particularly important to me.

Thanks for the wisdom many of you already shared!
If you had your heart set on a GT3, why is the next best thing a cab, not a coupe?
Old 05-07-2013, 07:09 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If going for the Sport Design front I'd add the rear ducktail. I have both on my X51 Cab and it looks great.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Montesquieu
Advanced

Originally Posted by tangram
If you had your heart set on a GT3, why is the next best thing a cab, not a coupe?
I decided that if I can't get the GT3 now, I'll instead optimize for daily and weekend driving with the family, for which the convertible will be fun in Texas. An additional performance-oriented car will come later if I can't kill both birds with one stone.

As for the ducktail, I like its looks on a coupe but not a cab. Same goes for all rear spoilers on cabs, which is another (smaller) reason I didn't consider waiting for the Turbo S cab.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:28 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Ok, you've asked for suggestions, so here's mine...

If you haven't done so yet, test drive a car with Power Steering Plus and one without. To me, it is decidedly un-sporty. (It reminded me of my Lexus, my other car). In fact, when looking for my car in dealer inventories, I excluded any car with it.
As you know, its purpose is to make the steering soft only at low speeds, thus making it easier to park and navigate in tight situations. However, in reality, the soft steering is felt every time you turn right or left after a stop light, for example. This "convenience" feature has a bigger impact on the driving feel than most people realize. If you like it, that's great, as long as you've test driven a car with and without it.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:37 AM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Advice: start clearing out the garage to make an addition to your house. These 991s are land yachts. Sorry couldn't resist.

Your car sounds like a true dream. I hope it all comes together as planned and look forward to seeing the results.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:01 AM
balakris
Instructor

Epic build! I am in a similar quandary... want a 997.2 GT3, but want to take the kids and wife with me on cruises. I would definitely add PSE, such a huge difference in the 991. I'm a 7MT guy as well, but to each their own.

Quick Reply: 991 C2S Cab build - Mexico Blue