Sponsored by:

Surprise Turn by Turn Map Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 06:22 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts
Default Surprise Turn by Turn Map Guidance

This morning I used Google maps on my iPhone (by voice input) to seek a location, and then started the directions.

To my surprise, the iPhone bluetooth connection worked to transfer the voice guidance to the PCS, loud and clear.

Every bit as good a map as the native PCS and easier to use since i knew the name of the place I wanted to go rather than the street and I don't have PCS voice input.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:14 AM
tonyep
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as you're connected through Bluetooth audio, any audio is transferred over. Not only limited to Porsche.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:29 AM
MacAna
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

What about music from your iPhone? Can that also be transferred over? I'm led to believe it cannot.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:14 PM
GT325
Pro

Received 194 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac Anamourlis
What about music from your iPhone? Can that also be transferred over? I'm led to believe it cannot.
yes music can be streamed over bluetooth as well.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:50 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Setting the source to BT works for me too - and wow is it easier to get an address into the phone than into the PCM!

I do get some glitches from time to time where the BT audio will freeze and I have to manually hit play again on the phone (or skip to the next track). Then again, I've had that happen with music on the PCM jukebox too, so I can't even really claim that the BT is worse in that respect - maybe the PCM is just buggy.

Calls, maps, music... Definitely nice. If there were a standard like BT-V (where it could, say, pass video information and return touch information? Haven't heard of one, maybe there is one and it's just not out there yet?), the PCM could be streamlined and essentially be totally upgradable over time with new mobile devices, including the maps, music, and pretty much whatever else people could think of integrating.

I'll dream on...
Old 05-06-2013, 10:36 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone misled you.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:49 AM
MacAna
Racer

Originally Posted by deezmfnutz
yes music can be streamed over bluetooth as well.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by TTCarrera
Someone misled you.
Ummm, not exactly, I failed to clarify that I'm from one of Porsche's markets that does NOT get the PCM and Navigation as a standard item, but instead it is a very expensive option. So I should have prefaced my post by stating "Without PCM"

It has been debated/reviewed elsewhere on these forums that without the PCM/Nav, a number of features are missing, for example, despite ordering bluetooth, I won't be able to use voice commands through the PCS to the iPhone, and I won't be able to tell the iPhone to stream music via bluetooth to the sound system.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:00 AM
GT325
Pro

Received 194 Likes on 109 Posts

Thanks.

Ummm, not exactly, I failed to clarify that I'm from one of Porsche's markets that does NOT get the PCM and Navigation as a standard item, but instead it is a very expensive option. So I should have prefaced my post by stating "Without PCM"

It has been debated/reviewed elsewhere on these forums that without the PCM/Nav, a number of features are missing, for example, despite ordering bluetooth, I won't be able to use voice commands through the PCS to the iPhone, and I won't be able to tell the iPhone to stream music via bluetooth to the sound system.
clarification noted. i have no idea if BT streaming of music will work without PCM. WITH PCM BT streaming works just fine.

your best bet may be to go to a dealership and try on a "floor" car.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:26 AM
MacAna
Racer

Originally Posted by deezmfnutz
clarification noted. i have no idea if BT streaming of music will work without PCM. WITH PCM BT streaming works just fine.

your best bet may be to go to a dealership and try on a "floor" car.
Will do next week...

Quick Reply: Surprise Turn by Turn Map Guidance