Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black cars are a pain to clean!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:36 PM
Jon Y
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, how do you get your tires/rimmed cleaned?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:10 AM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jon, I will post links to videos that show the proper techniques for detailing as soon as I organize the best ones. You will be surprised how easy it can be once the car is ready to be maintained (after the finish is prepped and the final sealer is applied).

I listed a nice waffle-weave drying towel because not everyone will have access to a leaf blower (perhaps some may have a problem if they live in a housing complex that has noise restrictions, etc.).

I've listed the microfiber cloths because some will want to detail the car between cleanings. I will post a video showing how you can detail a black car without leaving any swirl marks; keep watching this thread.

My next project will be to find a way to eliminate the rust that accumulates on the rotors after washing, before it coats the wheels.

Last edited by carrerapete; 05-01-2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 05-01-2013, 10:16 AM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LonnieR
That's why you really need deionized water and a leaf blower to dry. Nice result.
Great idea, but where would one get DI water for car washing?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:50 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrat
Great idea, but where would one get DI water for car washing?
http://www.amazon.51nj4d4d3%2bl/gp/product/B0056HDCUM
Old 05-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Jon Y
Track Day

Carrerapete,

Thanks a lot! I bookmarked this page for future reference- haha. Looking forward to your instructions!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:38 PM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Very cool, thanks for sharing!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:31 PM
gulrey
Track Day

It was the swirl marks that were driving me insane, and that all stopped once I'd discovered the real culprit: hard water.[/QUOTE]

I have the hose outlet I use to wash the car hooked into my soft water system.

How do you think using this soft water compares to using a de-ionizer?

I have a Basalt Black 991. So far is seems to look pretty good to me but perhaps it could be better.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:55 PM
meine911
Racer

Originally Posted by gulrey
It was the swirl marks that were driving me insane, and that all stopped once I'd discovered the real culprit: hard water.
I have the hose outlet I use to wash the car hooked into my soft water system.

How do you think using this soft water compares to using a de-ionizer?

I have a Basalt Black 991. So far is seems to look pretty good to me but perhaps it could be better.[/QUOTE]

Technically a big difference. Soft water will still have suspended solids. Deionized has none. Soft water is better than hard water though. I think the softener process removes quite a bit of calcium and other bad stuff.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:08 AM
meine911
Racer

[QUOTE)My next project will be to find a way to eliminate the rust that accumulates on the rotors after washing, before it coats the wheels.[/QUOTE]

I think we all would like a solution to this. My current solution is parking it after a wash and putting towels on the rims overnight until all the rusty water drops. Then when the brakes are applied the next day, the dry rust is shaved off without remnants.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:31 PM
jy2114
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving up and down the street seems to work just fine - try it.

Last edited by jy2114; 08-26-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:50 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ibnem2
Rust on the rotors after washing was bugging me as well ... Just drive the car up the street for a few hundred feet and apply brakes a few times. That should dry them and clean the rust off and doesn't seem to dirty the wheels. Do it after the car is mostly dry and drive slowly.

cheers ...
+100 works like a charm
Old 05-02-2013, 09:31 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

There are many good waxes which can hide the swirls and micro-scratches. Washing a black car is comparable to cleaning windows. Getting a window perfect is comparable to getting a black car perfect. Every time I think my window looks great, the sun hits it at a certain angle and shows up the impefections. Of course windows are more challenging to clean because you have the interior and exterior to attend to.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:33 AM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ibnem2
Rust on the rotors after washing was bugging me as well ... Just drive the car up the street for a few hundred feet and apply brakes a few times. That should dry them and clean the rust off and doesn't seem to dirty the wheels. Do it after the car is mostly dry and drive slowly.

cheers ...
Originally Posted by cole328
+100 works like a charm
This is the exact procedure that caused the crisis that got me started with all of this cleaning madness!

It was late in the day and I'd decided to wash the car in preparation for a gathering on the following morning. It had just turned dark when I'd finished with the leaf blower and decided to take the car for a quick drive to remove the rust from the rotors.

The next morning when I walked into the garage I was shocked to see what looked like thousands of tiny white paint droplets covering the car.

Did I somehow drive by an area where they were spraying paint? I'd first thought. But it wasn't paint after all, it was the water that had blown out from all the nooks and crannies while I was driving around to eliminate the rotor rust. The hard water had fully dried overnight in the garage and it was just as hard to remove as paint. This was the disaster that got me started on the road to finding a way to get the car back to normal.

Moral of the story: if you have hard water, you'd better make sure you dry every drop, especially after driving right after a wash.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LonnieR
That's why you really need deionized water and a leaf blower to dry. Nice result.
What is the effect of deionized water?
Old 05-03-2013, 05:51 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Techart_Dreamer
I'm going to go with at least 6 hours, 8 on the high side. It's a great feeling after detailing a black car, the only problem is, as soon as you take a breath, there's a layer of dust on it ha.

-Markus-
Just a slight exaggeration. Depending upon the time of year, a black car looks fabulous after a detail anywhere between 5 mins and an hour. With all the pollen in my area this time of year, it looks great for about 5 mins now. So I just reconcile myself to driving a dirty car for most of the time, and detail it only a couple times a year. Otherwise I'd be washing the car 3 - 4 times a week.

Quick Reply: Black cars are a pain to clean!