Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel and tire insurance...yes -no? what's the scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 12:35 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 457 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
RNL, don't know what your dealer claimed as the cost for fixing your curb damage, but a guy I've used locally several times (not on my 911 yet, knock on wood) charges about $60-85 depending on how much curbage. I've never watched him do it, but he comes to my office, says he grinds out the damage, then touches up the paint, and it looks like new again. Dealers use these types of services all the time and would pretty much never tell the customer unless they asked.
Don't know. That I don't have to think about the deep gouges was priceless

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 05-10-2013, 08:42 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
yes theres different type of repairs. The complete refinish which includes stripping the paint and refill of metal is obviously more.

I've had the wheels on my wife's Z4 M Coupe redone. One wheel was removed, entirely refinished (painted and sealed)-cost was $200. Two other wheels I brought to a service that was camped out behind Palm Beach Mercedes-they refinished the wheels for $100 each but the inner portion of the rim was not polished as the 1st wheel I had done elsewhere. They still looked great. I understand if you have the rim powder coated (factory like finish) the cost is about $300/wheel.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:52 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Here's my take:
I got it on my MB. Negociated the dealer to 1k for the package for the length of my lease.
First nail in the rear sidewall at 7k miles. New tire.
10k service, nail in the bottom of the other rear. I asked them to patch figuring it was on the bottom and they said, no, we only replace, so I have two new rear tires and the policy has already paid for iteself in the first year.

But the kicker, and the reason I would highly recommend this is because the one day my wife drove the car she went and curbed about 80% of the front right rim, bad...and it was barely an argument. Had there been no insurance...I don't have to tell you guys.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:39 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by midcont
Here's my take:
I got it on my MB. Negociated the dealer to 1k for the package for the length of my lease.
First nail in the rear sidewall at 7k miles. New tire.
10k service, nail in the bottom of the other rear. I asked them to patch figuring it was on the bottom and they said, no, we only replace, so I have two new rear tires and the policy has already paid for iteself in the first year.

But the kicker, and the reason I would highly recommend this is because the one day my wife drove the car she went and curbed about 80% of the front right rim, bad...and it was barely an argument. Had there been no insurance...I don't have to tell you guys.
Priceless

Quick Reply: Wheel and tire insurance...yes -no? what's the scoop?