Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel and tire insurance...yes -no? what's the scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

I purchased tire/rim coverage on my last two cars (Audi S5 and 991 4S). I have not had to use it and I'm cool with that. I don't mind that someone is making money on it. If I thought that way, I'd certainly never buy a Porsche.

On my 2006 Cayman I was going through 1-2 tires every six months. The backs were picking up nails and the fronts (235/35) were pinching on metal plates and potholes. Atlanta has both in abundance.

The real question is whether or not it will bother you when you ruin a tire or rim when you have to pay for it out of pocket. I hate it and like the piece of mind the coverage provides. In the end that's really what you're buying. You can't expect to beat the odds.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:42 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

The answwer is simple. I would imagine that most of us have driven cars for 15 years +. So how many flat tires have you had? The answerr to that question should guide you as to whether or not you need insurance.
Question for those who have bad luck with flats. Do you replace just the bad tire or also the one on the other side, especially if there is a significant amount of miles on the tires?
Old 05-05-2013, 06:42 PM
fantom
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

I bit on the tire/wheel insurance because there's a great deal of construction going on around here, so lots of debris on the roads.

Last edited by fantom; 05-05-2013 at 06:42 PM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 05-05-2013, 07:53 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-S
I purchased tire/rim coverage on my last two cars (Audi S5 and 991 4S). I have not had to use it and I'm cool with that. I don't mind that someone is making money on it. If I thought that way, I'd certainly never buy a Porsche.

On my 2006 Cayman I was going through 1-2 tires every six months. The backs were picking up nails and the fronts (235/35) were pinching on metal plates and potholes. Atlanta has both in abundance.

The real question is whether or not it will bother you when you ruin a tire or rim when you have to pay for it out of pocket. I hate it and like the piece of mind the coverage provides. In the end that's really what you're buying. You can't expect to beat the odds.

+1. I recently damaged a rim , heard the awful low speed crunching sound. Stopped got out, assessed the damage and just shrugged. The next day took it to the dealer and put in a claim against the policy. It was fixed. I have 5 years of wheel and tire protection along with lost key, door ding and windshield chip protection for about $1300. I despise insurance (legalized crime syndicate) companies but them again, I didn't have to write a check to the dealer to fix the wheel.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:53 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently paid $725 for 5years w/ 0 deductible.
I paid about $600 3years ago. I had 2 tires replaced and 1curb rash wheel refinished. The out of cost would have been > $1200 so it paid off more me.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 PM
fantom
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
I recently paid $725 for 5years w/ 0 deductible.
I paid about $600 3years ago. I had 2 tires replaced and 1curb rash wheel refinished. The out of cost would have been > $1200 so it paid off more me.
Doesn't sound like you purchased from the dealer. Can you share the details of who you bought it from and how it worked, please.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Yes, i bought them from my local dealer. the finance guy offers it.
As others have mentioned, the cost is all over the place. I think the "sticker" price offered to me was $1500. I think there a lot of wiggle room.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:47 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

The coverage is also variable.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:49 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by rnl
The coverage is also variable.

yes, the 5yr was only $100 more than the 3yr.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:11 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An interesting event has occurred since I started this thread. I called my insurance company, USAA. I asked about tire and wheel insurance. They said that they did not have that specifically but damage to a tire or rim due to things like pot holes, etc and not wear would be covered under the comprehensive part of my policy. Also, if I wanted $0 deductible, it would cost me an additional $7 per month. Sounds like a real deal. So maybe that's a better alternative then spending $1500 for 3 year policy with an independent.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:36 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by LonnieR
An interesting event has occurred since I started this thread. I called my insurance company, USAA. I asked about tire and wheel insurance. They said that they did not have that specifically but damage to a tire or rim due to things like pot holes, etc and not wear would be covered under the comprehensive part of my policy. Also, if I wanted $0 deductible, it would cost me an additional $7 per month. Sounds like a real deal. So maybe that's a better alternative then spending $1500 for 3 year policy with an independent.
would the 0 deductible for only $7/mo be JUST FOR THE WHEELS? If so thats a hellva deal.

I checked w/ St Farm and its covered but my $500 deductible would apply...
Old 05-08-2013, 02:54 PM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
would the 0 deductible for only $7/mo be JUST FOR THE WHEELS? If so thats a hellva deal.

I checked w/ St Farm and its covered but my $500 deductible would apply...
USAA quoted the $7 additional per month for $0 deductible comprehensive insurance which covers wheel and tire damage not due to wear and tear.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:01 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LonnieR
Tire and wheel damage is generally not a comprehensive event unless the tire are slashed or stolen. I would request written confirmation from the insurance company that damage occurring while the car is moving is covered.

My guideline for believing something told to me by an insurance company is that if I hear it I do not believe it. Get it in writing signed by a corporate officer

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 05-09-2013, 10:52 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

RNL, don't know what your dealer claimed as the cost for fixing your curb damage, but a guy I've used locally several times (not on my 911 yet, knock on wood) charges about $60-85 depending on how much curbage. I've never watched him do it, but he comes to my office, says he grinds out the damage, then touches up the paint, and it looks like new again. Dealers use these types of services all the time and would pretty much never tell the customer unless they asked.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:17 AM
kosmo
Race Director

yes theres different type of repairs. The complete refinish which includes stripping the paint and refill of metal is obviously more.

Quick Reply: Wheel and tire insurance...yes -no? what's the scoop?