Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Doughnut Mode Carrera vs GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:34 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts
Thumbs down PDK Doughnut Mode Carrera vs GT3?

So, much has been made about the GT3's pull both paddles for neutral for spin outs, standing water, hooliganism around curves, etc. But is the GT3's both paddle pull any different than the Carrera's neutral by paddle pull?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
So, much has been made about the GT3's pull both paddles for neutral for spin outs, standing water, hooliganism around curves, etc. But is the GT3's both paddle pull any different than the Carrera's neutral by paddle pull?
Don't know, only have one of the cars.

But in the 991S PDK, pull bothaddles and you have Nuetral. Then pull either Right or Left and it selects the appropriate gear.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:01 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Yes that is my question. At GT3 launch Preuninger made a big deal about being able to pull both paddles. My reaction was, ok, that is not new. So I was curious if there is a substantive difference between the two neutrals. (I do understand that the PDK is 'tuned' differently for the GT3.)
Old 04-26-2013, 10:24 PM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you jump back to the previous gear that was engaged when you release the paddles vs staying in neutral and having to then manually shift??? Not sure what I am saying makes any sense. Donuts in a 991 C2S PDK isn't a problem though
Old 04-27-2013, 09:51 AM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Originally Posted by SM_ATL:10417771
Donuts in a 991 C2S PDK isn't a problem though
Ok like to know how. Are paddles required?
Old 04-27-2013, 11:34 AM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TTCarrera
Don't know, only have one of the cars.

But in the 991S PDK, pull bothaddles and you have Nuetral. Then pull either Right or Left and it selects the appropriate gear.
O.K., I'm not not near my car right now or I would try it. How long does it remain in neutral after pulling both paddles?
Old 04-27-2013, 12:01 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

It remains in neutral until you pull a paddle again.

I must say though, it will take some learning if one needed it in a hurry and for it to be a reflex. Not that paddles aren't quick or effective, but I am pretty sure my left foot will nail the phantom clutch pedal into the floor first, lol.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:20 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

It remains in neutral until you pull a paddle again.

I must say though, it will take some learning if one needed it in a hurry and for it to be a reflex. Not that paddles aren't quick or effective, but I am pretty sure my left foot will nail the phantom clutch pedal into the floor first, lol.
That is so cool, learn something new everyday on this forum. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2013, 04:54 PM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adamsclubs
Ok like to know how. Are paddles required?
Paddles not required for simple donuts. Not an expert, but turn off all thenannies, just get the car to oversteer a bit and then floor it to make the rear break loose while making a very sharp turn. After that just follow your instinct to modulate the throttle and steering wheel angle. When you stop drifting and want to stop the car, you may want to go to neutral to avoid the risk to go backwards with a forward gear engaged.

Here are a few donuts I did with my first 991S last year just before I had to replace the tires. Did not try since then, I know it works and it really does not serve any purpose

Old 04-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 723 Likes on 396 Posts

One more tip - if you are at a red light and pull both paddles, the PDK car will go into neutral. However, you have to step on the brake before it will shift into gear when it's time to go! Looks sort of silly to be sitting there revving the engine while sitting still!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:48 AM
ppcchengf
4th Gear

In a Carrera, pulling both peddle is like shifting the car into neutral.

In the GT3, pulling both peddle is like stepping on the clutch while the car is still in gear, you can rev the engine up and drop the clutch like a normal manual car. (for whatever reason)
Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Pardon my density, but what's the difference in a millisecond shift world, of remaining in gear with auto clutch pulled vs clutch pulled in neutral? I suppose a few milliseconds to re-engage gear?

Last edited by fbroen; 04-30-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-30-2013, 10:17 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

I haven't actually tried this from standstill in the C2S -- anyone?

This being from the the Road & Track GT3 First Drive article:

"The GT3 also reacts more quickly to shift requests than does the regular 911, and Preuninger even installed a clutch-dump function—pull both paddles in any gear, and the engine will freewheel. Release them, and drive will gently reengage. If you're in Sport Plus mode, the gearbox will unceremoniously dump the clutch.

"I wanted to make sure I could still do a burnout when I pull up next to a Prius at a red light," Preuninger says."
Old 04-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I haven't actually tried this from standstill in the C2S -- anyone?

This being from the the Road & Track GT3 First Drive article:

"The GT3 also reacts more quickly to shift requests than does the regular 911, and Preuninger even installed a clutch-dump function—pull both paddles in any gear, and the engine will freewheel. Release them, and drive will gently reengage. If you're in Sport Plus mode, the gearbox will unceremoniously dump the clutch.

"I wanted to make sure I could still do a burnout when I pull up next to a Prius at a red light," Preuninger says."
Yes, trying this in C2 will do...nothing. It is different in a GT3. The only time pulling both paddles in simultaneously in a C2 will select neutral is at a dead stop. To re-engage 1st gear again you have to step on the brake.

In the GT3 you can "drop the clutch" by pulling the paddles in while the car is motion in any gear (as it's been described). You cannot do this in a C2.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:23 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
The only time pulling both paddles in simultaneously in a C2 will select neutral is at a dead stop. To re-engage 1st gear again you have to step on the brake.
This is not correct. You can pull both paddles at any time in any gear and get neutral in a C2 (S at least, don't think the C2 differs?). Another paddle (or shifter) pull gets you back in gear.

Quick Reply: PDK Doughnut Mode Carrera vs GT3?