Sponsored by:

Porsche iManual

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 06:48 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Porsche iManual

I imagine that many of you are already using this, but for those of you who may not know, there is an online manual and mobile app (Android and iPhone) that seems to include all the content of the manual (click on "List all how-to topics" button in the bottom left corner) that comes with the car, in addition to how-to videos.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...ual/ext/home/#

So if you ever forget what the tire pressure should be, how to change comfort mode, open the trunk after a dead battery, or get the passenger side mirror to rotate down its there.

If any of you have other resources, maybe we can get a list started here.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 PM
jy2114
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Good to Know iPhone app (dumb name) is much better than the My Porsche app (horrible and impossible to search).

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/good...578575559?mt=8

But I still wish Porsche would just publish a pdf version which is simple to view on any smartphone and simple to search on any pdf viewer.

cheers
Old 04-18-2013, 05:37 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

No doubt. It's a typed manual - which, it turns out, would work just perfectly as a nice PDF. It would look great on a e-ink or high-res tablet too, be searchable, support links, etc.

Oh well?
Old 04-20-2013, 07:25 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default imanuals

Folks who write manuals are "experts" on their subject. Unfortunately, they are not expert on USING the manual as a newbe. Consequently, the manual wreaks of inaccuracies and incompletions. People who write manuals should only do so with someone sitting with them who have no knowledge of what the manual is directing.

The Porsche manual, imanual and the others are useless. I have owned a 991 since December and still cannot figure some aspects nor can the salesperson or service writer provide me relief.

I do not blame this on Porsche alone. In my profession I deal with some very sophisticated equipment. I have enough d.egrees to do so. However, the manuals are hopeless. I must pay for some of my people to go to the factory to learn the manual. That is repulsive

This does not apply to just technical folks. When I did my income tax this year, this raised its ugly face again. I had several major issues that were completely unintelligible based on the IRS' use of the English language in the instructions. In one case, the instructions could have merely differed on the basis of punctuation. I had to consult varied IRS publications to find what was legal.

The bottom line is that no manual is particularly informative. There is a new industry out there waiting for its launch. It would be invaluable.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:14 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you trying to do that the manual does not explain? I bet there are some clever folks on here who could help.

While I agree with you that there is a lot of room for improvement, I have found the manual in paper and electronic form have answered all my questions so far.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:06 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

john 991-

when the salesperson and service advisor cannot deal with it, please summon your wizards for the rest of we mere mortals. Publish it!

Quick Reply: Porsche iManual