Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is one sweet looking ride...
Old 11-02-2015, 07:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
The car or the roll cage? The cage is 1.75" * .095" DOM IMSA spec. The truth of the matter is that my fabricator who lives in Arizona could build you a cage for this car. Or you would have to ship it here. When you think about it, I know it's a far trip but shipping a car coast to coast costs about $1500 depending on where you are. Our labor is cheaper than most shops and you're out of state and don't pay sales tax. Find a 2 month gap in your track schedule and let us turn your car into a track beast!

Brake ducts and fender liners are direct from the PET for the GT3. If you want to send me an email, i can provide part numbers or we can ship parts to you. The brakes are upgraded Race Technologies 2-piece floating discs assemblies front and rear along with Race Technologies pads. The brake life was great at Sebring. I think I have one last trick up my sleeve on the hydraulics to give it that nice tall brake pedal. You have a great starting platform for a very capable track car and 40 + years of R&D in a road car.
Thanks for all the updates John, you're car is an example of what a C2S is capable of. I'm also disappointed in the brakes though. For the first time is 20 years I've actually warped rotors, not pad deposits. I've been running PFC11s cut for GT3s but would love to know more about your race technology setup.

How big are the rotors front and rear and what would you compare the pads to?
Do you know if we can just bolt on the GT3 2 piece rotors?
Do you know if the larger rotors of the 991.2S will fit the 991.1S?
When you say GT3 ducts are you talking about the clip on piece to the lower control arm? Can you post the part numbers? and the #s for the liners?

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2015, 10:16 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 608 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
Thanks for all the updates John, you're car is an example of what a C2S is capable of. I'm also disappointed in the brakes though. For the first time is 20 years I've actually warped rotors, not pad deposits. I've been running PFC11s cut for GT3s but would love to know more about your race technology setup.

How big are the rotors front and rear and what would you compare the pads to?
Do you know if we can just bolt on the GT3 2 piece rotors?
Do you know if the larger rotors of the 991.2S will fit the 991.1S?
When you say GT3 ducts are you talking about the clip on piece to the lower control arm? Can you post the part numbers? and the #s for the liners?

Thanks!
PFC makes some unbelievable stuff but i think you need to be careful running it on a heavy street car that does not have true, motorsport oriented brake ducts. When i say this, i mean tubing running to both the caliper and the disc, getting fresh air from the front. These deflectors help but they're not a substitute. I have heard of folks enjoying the PFC 08s on their 991 GT3s.

The part numbers are : 99150450194 and 99150450294 for the LF and RF screened in fender liners and 99157513181 and 99157513281 for the deflectors. If you would like, we can source them for you but we usually don't list PCNA parts because every time we do, someone finds them from a dealership willing to undercut everyone and their mother. What we tell folks is that the only thing we can offer as a reason to buy from us is because we are the only people that will actually tell you what to do with the parts and give you guidance on everything and how it should be run as opposed to putting parts in boxes and sending them off. I try and sell our input as a reason to buy Porsche parts from us even though you can get them cheaper elsewhere. We don't have huge margins in them and are easily undercut by those that do.

Would you like me to try and dig up what this brake package is?

To answer your question, yes, they're just deflectors that are part of the fender liners on the 991.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:40 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The unbelievable thing is how fast this car is. I drove our Rolex GX Cayman that now has PDK and with the X51 engine making 450hp, weighs 2750 lbs. It has dual master cylinders, wide slicks with fender flares, RSR suspension...you name it...the only thing missing is a Cup motor. And the 991 C2S with mufflers, a lightweight flywheel and a Guard LSD was almost the same speed around Sebring. The 991 does have a 315 R7 in the back compared to the 305 Hoosier slick on the Cayman but one is a slick and the other a DOT R compound. We were able to do consistent 2:21s late in the day in a stock street car with a roll cage vs. something that is developed as far as it can go. The 991 C2S is probably was of the most underrated track Porsches on the market. The power and the torque from that motor are awesome. We discussed how you could bolt on shocks, springs, an ECU flash, headers and an intake to that thing and make 430HP; you could follow it up with a Power Kit upgrade and embarrass GT3 owners. It is truly an awesome piece.
That's great to hear. What do you think the 991 has over the Cayman platform?
Old 11-03-2015, 03:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,361 Posts

PFC makes some unbelievable stuff but i think you need to be careful running it on a heavy street car that does not have true, motorsport oriented brake ducts. When i say this, i mean tubing running to both the caliper and the disc, getting fresh air from the front. These deflectors help but they're not a substitute. I have heard of folks enjoying the PFC 08s on their 991 GT3s.

The part numbers are : 99150450194 and 99150450294 for the LF and RF screened in fender liners and 99157513181 and 99157513281 for the deflectors. If you would like, we can source them for you but we usually don't list PCNA parts because every time we do, someone finds them from a dealership willing to undercut everyone and their mother. What we tell folks is that the only thing we can offer as a reason to buy from us is because we are the only people that will actually tell you what to do with the parts and give you guidance on everything and how it should be run as opposed to putting parts in boxes and sending them off. I try and sell our input as a reason to buy Porsche parts from us even though you can get them cheaper elsewhere. We don't have huge margins in them and are easily undercut by those that do.

Would you like me to try and dig up what this brake package is?

To answer your question, yes, they're just deflectors that are part of the fender liners on the 991.
curious about this, is that all you need? - isnt the front of the GT3 different such that it has provisions to duct air into the fenders that the S does not?

I could be interested in doing this mod
Old 11-03-2015, 03:36 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
curious about this, is that all you need? - isnt the front of the GT3 different such that it has provisions to duct air into the fenders that the S does not?

I could be interested in doing this mod
The rationale behind going with the fender liners from the GT3 was that they had screen with larger openings to exhaust hot air from the radiators. All of these cars have a radiator with a cooling fan on the backside and the regular 991 has fender liners with slits in what looks like a 7" hole. The GT3 fender liner has a larger opening because the slits are removed and replaced with plastic screen on the backside for additional flow. Getting the air to exhaust from the backside of the radiators is just as important as getting more frontal area air so we added them. In addition they have provisions to add the brake deflectors to put additional air to the calipers. It is hard to quantify what had the largest effect because all 3 radiators were upgrade to proper motorsport style radiators like what you would find on a GT3 Cup car running in the IMSA Tudor Championship or like what we ran in the 24 hour and on every single pro car we build. It's just that the 991s and 981s are engineered to warm the oil more quickly on startup and therefore the cars run hotter on the track.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

The rationale behind going with the fender liners from the GT3 was that they had screen with larger openings to exhaust hot air from the radiators. All of these cars have a radiator with a cooling fan on the backside and the regular 991 has fender liners with slits in what looks like a 7" hole. The GT3 fender liner has a larger opening because the slits are removed and replaced with plastic screen on the backside for additional flow. Getting the air to exhaust from the backside of the radiators is just as important as getting more frontal area air so we added them. In addition they have provisions to add the brake deflectors to put additional air to the calipers. It is hard to quantify what had the largest effect because all 3 radiators were upgrade to proper motorsport style radiators like what you would find on a GT3 Cup car running in the IMSA Tudor Championship or like what we ran in the 24 hour and on every single pro car we build. It's just that the 991s and 981s are engineered to warm the oil more quickly on startup and therefore the cars run hotter on the track.
Thanks I'll pm you for pricing
Old 11-03-2015, 05:32 PM
Gem Mookherjea
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need pricing for all the cool 991 stuff in this thread thats easy to ship, as well, please-BGB will be santa it seems!
Old 11-05-2015, 12:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Group buy time!
Old 11-05-2015, 11:38 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 008
Group buy time!
+1
Old 11-05-2015, 12:00 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Before we proceed, what would be included in this group buy? I need to know because it's worth mentioning off the bat that i don't have any margin in the radiators and we don't mark them up because they're already $1000 each. If you don't have the 991/981 center 3rd radiator already, the decision to purchase is somewhat easier but before we start looking at group buys, i would need to know what's on the wish list.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:16 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BGB, thanks for doing all this experimenting - it looks like very arduous scientific study.

I've got a manual GTS coming with SPASM and PDCC. I was curious:

1. What are some brake rotor options and will 350mm rotors fit?

2. What have you guys experienced with your camber setups so far?

3. Any more info on running 19" wheel/tire combos? What are you running for tires?

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:23 PM
Burning Brakes

What about picking and choosing from the deflectors, liners, pads and rotors?
Old 11-06-2015, 02:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 008
What about picking and choosing from the deflectors, liners, pads and rotors?
I'd be interested in liners+deflectors, dont need rotors/pads (PCCB)
Old 11-06-2015, 02:33 PM
Gem Mookherjea
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YES YES YES count me in for group buy pricing please

-rigid motor mounts, great for the non sport chrono cars like mine
-liners, if cooler for sure yes then order
-deflectors, same as above
-roll hoop options in AZ/double as a harness bar

@BGB motorsports
-radiators(only if they help with the oil temp actually), can you perhaps dive deeper into the advanatage over adding the OE 3rd radiator kit ?

also, I would be up for a PDK cooler or other oil specific cooling gizmos-the car needs more cooling;

Quick Reply: 991 Carrera S - Track Blog - Day 10