Old 11-25-2014, 01:04 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Nice. Thanks for posting.
You are quite welcome...I'm sorry that the information has been sporadic but we have been hard at setting up the retail business and now we can finally start to focus on the 991 as well as the 981. What are you guys seeing out there? What is the sentiment? Is the manual 7spd 991 3.8L getting the respect it deserves on track?
Old 08-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Gem Mookherjea
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are we doing for GT lsd for 991s?
Old 09-27-2015, 07:23 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gem Mookherjea
How are we doing for GT lsd for 991s?
Sorry it's taking so long Gem, I really am.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:27 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Old 09-27-2015, 12:47 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

do you guys have a solution for airbag lights with aftermarket seats?
Old 09-27-2015, 03:12 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts

Great to see a 991 tracking - we need more 991 track threads!
Old 09-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I was able to run 2:35s at COTA in a stock 991S just tires, pads, fluid and alignment second time there. It's a fantastic platform and extremely capable for a street car but it is expensive to run as the consumables are scarce and pricey. Very few folks track these cars as a GT3 is not much more expensive. I wish there was more out there for it, especially brake pads but I don't think the market is big enough. It'll be interesting if anyone tracks the new turbo motor and if not maybe it will have folks buying .1s as lower entry track cars and drive some development and lower priced parts.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:00 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

nice time! I run the same in my completely prepped 370Z racecar
Old 09-28-2015, 01:17 PM
Rennlist Member

I'd love to strip my car out, get it down below 2700lbs put a real suspension on it and see what it's capable of. They really are great dual purpose cars.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Originally Posted by John's 991
John, excellent info, and thanks! The dual nature of the 991S is one of the things I love most about it as well. Comfy and quiet on the way to the track, even getting decent gas mileage (28mpg +-) and with the push of Sport + and wing up buttons, it transforms into a really nice track car (mileage drops to 10mpg or less).

I need to replace my tires but it seems that there is a national shortage of the Michelin PSS, so am in a quandary as to what to do.
Yup, and now the PZeros are in short supply since everyone who wanted MPSS "made do" with the PZeros...

In talking with the Michelin reps at RSr-V on Saturday, they seriously underestimated the demand for 19" 20" fitments, and they are apparently re-scheduling capacity to address this ... however, if its true that there is an N0
MPSS coming for the 991.2, then I imagine that any MPSS production in 20"
fitments will be given to 991.2 production, so it could be some time.

I would suggest the MPSC2, but even that is not available in the 305/30-20 fitment right now...
Old 09-28-2015, 03:48 PM
Rennlist Member

That's a beautifully built cage. Have you had it on the scales in the current configuration? Is sub 2700 possible by gutting and not replacing parts with high dollar substitutes? Can you run a cup door with the nascar bars or it just has to be gutted? Difficult to maintain windows obviously. What are the details of the suspension set up? You should sell this to Rum Bum for next year....
Old 11-02-2015, 05:19 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I just got back from another 2 days at Sebring. The car was sent back to our shop following Road Atlanta so that we could do the following:

1.) work with Motec to improve their C125 config to be able to log things like coolant temp, engine oil temp, gearbox temp and anything else I could get my hands on.
2.) add a SmartyCam for video that has the data laid over top.
3.) install the 991 GT3 brake master cylinder
4.) install the 991 GT3 front sway bar
5.) remove the air conditioning
6.) install the Cayman R A/C delete pulley and bracket
7.) install upgraded PWR radiators so that we can lower coolant and oil temps.
8.) install upgraded fender liners and brake ducts from the GT3.

Almost everything was a total success. The car ran 197F on the water and 240F on the oil when you were cruising. When driving 10/10ths behind another car in the later afternoon, oil temps peaked at 251F. The PWR Radiators were a huge homerun. The car had repeated faults and Check Engine Lights but i put a new firmware in and we had no more issues. I am not happy with the final result on the brakes, so we are going to dig deeper into the hydraulics because the pedal was long before the master cylinder swap and while not quite as long after, not what I wanted.

The unbelievable thing is how fast this car is. I drove our Rolex GX Cayman that now has PDK and with the X51 engine making 450hp, weighs 2750 lbs. It has dual master cylinders, wide slicks with fender flares, RSR suspension...you name it...the only thing missing is a Cup motor. And the 991 C2S with mufflers, a lightweight flywheel and a Guard LSD was almost the same speed around Sebring. The 991 does have a 315 R7 in the back compared to the 305 Hoosier slick on the Cayman but one is a slick and the other a DOT R compound. We were able to do consistent 2:21s late in the day in a stock street car with a roll cage vs. something that is developed as far as it can go. The 991 C2S is probably was of the most underrated track Porsches on the market. The power and the torque from that motor are awesome. We discussed how you could bolt on shocks, springs, an ECU flash, headers and an intake to that thing and make 430HP; you could follow it up with a Power Kit upgrade and embarrass GT3 owners. It is truly an awesome piece.

Originally Posted by 008
That's a beautifully built cage. Have you had it on the scales in the current configuration? Is sub 2700 possible by gutting and not replacing parts with high dollar substitutes? Can you run a cup door with the nascar bars or it just has to be gutted? Difficult to maintain windows obviously. What are the details of the suspension set up? You should sell this to Rum Bum for next year....
Thanks. It got me in a lot of trouble with Porsche building this car before the 991 Cup existed. It's still a sore subject with me and one of the reasons i gave up. I think that you could get the car down in the 2800 range without blowing your budget on carbon bits. the doors on that race car have been gutted but Getty will sell you doors to work with the cage form a Cup car. The car has such potential for power mods. It's awesome. Everyone thinks we are Cayman snobs and wont work on anything else but Caymans but if they knew what we knew about the 991, oh boy!

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 11-02-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:22 PM
Gem Mookherjea
Advanced

*must ship car to bgb for track prep*

are those cages shippable?
can you share more about the gt3 brake upgrade please? is this for sale?
Old 11-02-2015, 05:34 PM
Gem Mookherjea
Advanced

Originally Posted by 008
I'd love to strip my car out, get it down below 2700lbs put a real suspension on it and see what it's capable of. They really are great dual purpose cars.
I'd love details on dual use weight loss options!
Old 11-02-2015, 05:36 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gem Mookherjea
*must ship car to bgb for track prep*

are those cages shippable?
can you share more about the gt3 brake upgrade please? is this for sale?
The car or the roll cage? The cage is 1.75" * .095" DOM IMSA spec. The truth of the matter is that my fabricator who lives in Arizona could build you a cage for this car. Or you would have to ship it here. When you think about it, I know it's a far trip but shipping a car coast to coast costs about $1500 depending on where you are. Our labor is cheaper than most shops and you're out of state and don't pay sales tax. Find a 2 month gap in your track schedule and let us turn your car into a track beast!

Brake ducts and fender liners are direct from the PET for the GT3. If you want to send me an email, i can provide part numbers or we can ship parts to you. The brakes are upgraded Race Technologies 2-piece floating discs assemblies front and rear along with Race Technologies pads. The brake life was great at Sebring. I think I have one last trick up my sleeve on the hydraulics to give it that nice tall brake pedal. You have a great starting platform for a very capable track car and 40 + years of R&D in a road car.

Quick Reply: 991 Carrera S - Track Blog - Day 10