Sponsored by:

991 Carrera S - Track Blog - Day 10

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 04:52 PM
maximmm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
I would definitely try to go down to 32-34 hot range. It may not seem that far off from what you've tried, but can have big impact on tire performance. Also, when I say hot pressures, it's when u measure right after you finish your track session, which means you start around 25-26 cold.
I measure it online during session, very useful to have tyre pressure monitor. I will try to decrease next week till 25 cold.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:45 PM
advantyper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tks for the great info
Old 08-11-2013, 11:16 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Added the centre radiator a couple of months ago and went back to Road Atlanta twice since then. Temperature perfectly stable around ~200F under all circumstances. Never really had a problem before with the 991, but would rather play it safe.
Is the 3rd radiator available for the 991 from Porsche? Or you used the one for the 997.2?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:34 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by David A
Is the 3rd radiator available for the 991 from Porsche? Or you used the one for the 997.2?
- factory kit with the necessary parts for the 991:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...=991SENGINEPER
Old 08-12-2013, 10:53 AM
SB
Instructor

Default Oil Temp Paranoia

I'm not an oil expert, but I think many are getting worked up about oil temps for no reason. Here is why...
As far as I can tell, non-synthetic oil starts to break down at 240 degrees, while synthetic oil holds up to over 400 degrees. I think that unless you're using non-synthetic oil or doing endurance racing, the third radiator is an overkill..... and adds weight and probably has negative aero consequences on top of that. I've run my non-sumped 997.1 with typical track temps in 270-275 range for many years, without any issues. I think that you should be more than comfortable with whatever temps you get as long as you're not getting into the red zone of the gauge, which is 300 if I remember correctly.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:48 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
I'm not an oil expert, but I think many are getting worked up about oil temps for no reason. Here is why...
As far as I can tell, non-synthetic oil starts to break down at 240 degrees, while synthetic oil holds up to over 400 degrees. I think that unless you're using non-synthetic oil or doing endurance racing, the third radiator is an overkill..... and adds weight and probably has negative aero consequences on top of that. I've run my non-sumped 997.1 with typical track temps in 270-275 range for many years, without any issues. I think that you should be more than comfortable with whatever temps you get as long as you're not getting into the red zone of the gauge, which is 300 if I remember correctly.
You're probably right to an extent, I usually run around 270-275 during sessions, but I have gone into limp mode once so I'm kind of paranoid. If I were going to keep the car, I'd definitely get a third radiator.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:09 PM
SB
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
- factory kit with the necessary parts for the 991:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...=991SENGINEPER
Originally Posted by ajag
You're probably right to an extent, I usually run around 270-275 during sessions, but I have gone into limp mode once so I'm kind of paranoid. If I were going to keep the car, I'd definitely get a third radiator.
I can only speculate, but I suspect that the limp mode is not oil or motor temp related if your gauges were not in the red.... It may be PDK temp related, or perhaps something completely unrelated to temperature at all. It would really be interesting to find out the actual reason for the limp mode.... please ask your dealer next time you visit and share the answer... thanks.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:38 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
I can only speculate, but I suspect that the limp mode is not oil or motor temp related if your gauges were not in the red.... It may be PDK temp related, or perhaps something completely unrelated to temperature at all. It would really be interesting to find out the actual reason for the limp mode.... please ask your dealer next time you visit and share the answer... thanks.
It was temp related, the gauge was near 300 and the warning stated overheating, I had my independent race shop check the codes and that's the only information they found. No issues w/ the radiators, etc.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:32 PM
SB
Instructor

Originally Posted by ajag
It was temp related, the gauge was near 300 and the warning stated overheating, I had my independent race shop check the codes and that's the only information they found. No issues w/ the radiators, etc.

Cool thanks for sharing. Yes, I'd say that if you are getting very close to the red, or 300, it's time to upgrade. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:51 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Hi Folks,

We just hit 25K miles and thus far, Porsche fixed everything that was on the list. My 2nd gear grinding that had occurred since mile 00008 was resolved with a new 7-speed MT, the horn was fixed, I don't know if the crank sensor was replaced or not to pre-empt the issue I had with the car shutting off, and whatever little items were resolved; everything was taken care of as promised. Porsche of Orlando has a very solid reputation for service and as usual, they took care of us.

Since writing we have finished the prototype of the harness bar we will offer for the 991. Below is a photo with a link to the options to some other very cool stuff we have been working on.

Between the Guard Transmission limited slip differential, the lowering springs, the wider track gained from the wheel stud conversion and 18mm wheel spacers and the tuning we are finishing, this car has been unbelievable for doing dual-duty up and down I-95 to/from PBIR. Given that this is the only 991 you can get with a manual, if you guys haven't driven one with some bolt-ons and a set of Power Kit heads, you need to test drive one. I hear that a lot of people are not ordering GT3s because of the transmission that is offered. This car has potential if you are a die hard manual transmission driver. I am a total PDK convert but we have never been allowed to run that transmission given the advantage is creates in motorsport.

http://teambgb.com/for_sale_retail_parts.asp

Old 12-15-2013, 11:10 PM
SB
Instructor

Hi
Can u please describe your second gear issue symptoms? My second gear grinds a bit too during normal driving most of the time. Did yours grind a lot? Under what conditions, etc?

Thx

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Hi Folks,

We just hit 25K miles and thus far, Porsche fixed everything that was on the list. My 2nd gear grinding that had occurred since mile 00008 was resolved with a new 7-speed MT ...
Old 12-15-2013, 11:26 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I am glad that you said something because I had been checking back from time to time and I was beginning to think that I was the only one. Just as you described, it is during normal driving and while it does happen during hard driving, it is not as prevalent.

I went and did some homework. Since the new 7-speed manual shares so many parts with the PDK variant and therefore has the same gear stacks, it no longer has 2nd gear in a place where it typically would. So therefore it has a different procedure/mechanism for the 2nd gear shift that is not where it typically is when outfitted in PDK and I would assume that a few were machined differently ever so slightly. The reality is that I had the issue the 1st day I ever drove the car as did anyone else who drove it. I love driving the car so much though that I refused to give it up just to have them put a new transmission in. Take it to your dealer and let them drive it. They'll feel it.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:34 PM
SB
Instructor

Mine has done it since day 1 too.
Not terrible, but annoying enough that I skip shift 1-3 sometimes. Thx. I'll have my dealer look into it.

I am glad that you said something because I had been checking back from time to time and I was beginning to think that I was the only one. Just as you described, it is during normal driving and while it does happen during hard driving, it is not as prevalent.

I went and did some homework. Since the new 7-speed manual shares so many parts with the PDK variant and therefore has the same gear stacks, it no longer has 2nd gear in a place where it typically would. So therefore it has a different procedure/mechanism for the 2nd gear shift that is not where it typically is when outfitted in PDK and I would assume that a few were machined differently ever so slightly. The reality is that I had the issue the 1st day I ever drove the car as did anyone else who drove it. I love driving the car so much though that I refused to give it up just to have them put a new transmission in. Take it to your dealer and let them drive it. They'll feel it.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:34 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I received some photos yesterday from the owner of the 991 we built. Nothing but smiles as far as performance on track as "Capser" is holding his own against 997.2 GT3s and other cars that should be stronger! This brings a smile to our faces as well because we still maintain that a 991 3.8L S with a 7 speed manual and some track goodies, with or without a Power Kit, is a very respectable track weapon!

We now stock control arms, limited slip differentials, harness bars, pads, rotors and everything else you would need to make your 991 bulletproof on track. The additional air-oil oil cooler setup will be done by xmas and available for sale.

Thanks for following!
Attached Images    
Old 11-24-2014, 07:46 PM
SB
Instructor

Nice. Thanks for posting.
I received some photos yesterday from the owner of the 991 we built. Nothing but smiles as far as performance on track as "Capser" is holding his own against 997.2 GT3s and other cars that should be stronger! This brings a smile to our faces as well because we still maintain that a 991 3.8L S with a 7 speed manual and some track goodies, with or without a Power Kit, is a very respectable track weapon!

We now stock control arms, limited slip differentials, harness bars, pads, rotors and everything else you would need to make your 991 bulletproof on track. The additional air-oil oil cooler setup will be done by xmas and available for sale.

Thanks for following!

Quick Reply: 991 Carrera S - Track Blog - Day 10