Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Porsche911_S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm another soap and water guy. I wash the wheels frequently and no matter how bad they get from driving the soap seems to do the job for me. My experience with chemicals on good wheels has not been good over the years and I'm in my sixties with a lot of washing years behind me.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:44 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911_S
I'm another soap and water guy. I wash the wheels frequently and no matter how bad they get from driving the soap seems to do the job for me. My experience with chemicals on good wheels has not been good over the years and I'm in my sixties with a lot of washing years behind me.
+1...
Old 08-19-2013, 08:57 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911_S
+1 I occasionally clay the wheels and wax them with PO Boys wax
Old 08-19-2013, 10:19 AM
Gene G
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to remember that concouring is a family thing and that small hands can get in small places.

Griot's Garage Have fun in your garage!®
Questions? 800-345-5789

Long-Reach Wheel Scrubber Brushes, Set of 3

Additional Views

A Gentle Yet Effective Wheel Cleaning Brush For Those Hard To Clean Wheels

So many of today's wheel designs are beautiful to look at but a nightmare to clean. Especially the back side of a wheel which is usually painted the wheel color and difficult to access. This tool is made from a soft, porous synthetic material that will grab grime and lift it off the wheel. Its wedge shape allows you to get into small areas. The handle is comfortable and molded to fit your fingers. The Long-Reach is 12 1/4" long in case you have wide wheels. Great for motorcycle cleaning too.

Item#

Product

Quantity

Price

In Stock

$13.99
Old 08-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a BMW and they are notorious for extreme amounts of brake dust and I was getting really frustrated so I tried ceramic pads - unbelievable - no brake dust. I can go weeks and the wheels look great. The downside is that the brake pedal is not quite as responsive and it takes more effort to fully engage. But if you are just using the car for fun and not tracking it then you might consider ceramic pads if the brake dust really bothers you. I haven't changed them yet because I am not using it that much and just too lazy to go through the effort.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:10 PM
iLeo
Advanced

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner. It's magic.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Sonax...0ml_p_324.html

Just apply, wait a few minutes and wash away. It'll get rid of 95% of what's on the wheels. I also use a pressure washer which gets it to about 98%, and then a wipe down with a microfiber and they look like new. No brushes, no scrubbing.
I don't even touch the wheels!

I use spray Sonax, then wash it with my high pressure water, and that's it.. good as new!
Old 08-19-2013, 04:44 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I use either Sonax or Einszett wheel cleaner, let it soak in and change color, then rinse it off. I then use a typical car soap to wash the wheels and use a wash mitt to get in all the nooks and crannies. A stiff brush is used on the tire sidewalls. After another rinse, I use a microfiber towel to dry them off. I then apply a tire gel to the tires for a nice satin finish.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:53 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry991
I have a BMW and they are notorious for extreme amounts of brake dust and I was getting really frustrated so I tried ceramic pads - unbelievable - no brake dust. I can go weeks and the wheels look great. The downside is that the brake pedal is not quite as responsive and it takes more effort to fully engage...
+1. I quickly swapped out the BMW OEM dust-making pads for Axxis Delux ceramic pads on both my 535i and 650i. Thereafter the wheels got no dirtier than the lower panels of the car. I also preferred the more linear feel of the Axxis pads compared with the exaggerated initial bite of the OEMs, but this is a matter of taste.

Dusting is not nearly as bad with the OEM 991 pads, so I wouldn't swap them out for ceramics prematurely. I used Rejex on the wheels, and now just soap and water when washing the car. I have Sonax on hand if they get particularly dirty.

Spyder
Old 08-19-2013, 11:03 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

So my wheels get the normal amount of dust on them, and I can just clean them with soap and water. But they also have a couple of what looks like grease spots on them, which won't come off with just soap. These spots seem like maybe only gasoline will remove them, although I haven't tried it.

Any idea what these spots are? Unfortunately it's night now but I'll take some pics tomorrow morning and post them here.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:39 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Nanoskin Brake Dust Wheel Protective Shield. Wash wheel, dry, spray on let dry. Water beads on the wheel and brake dust comes off with a sponge. I wish I found this for my last few BMW's.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:03 PM
mel911
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sonax

Soap and water works for me but to go the extra mile I just used sonax spray and wax. Watch it last a week!
Old 08-22-2013, 03:35 PM
RobP
Track Day

I'm a perfectionist when it comes to wheel cleaning and up until recently I would wash my prior car's wheels as often as every night. With my 991 I applied Opti-Coat to the wheels (the entire car actually) and it makes cleaning the wheels a breeze. Opti-Coat makes for a surface that dust doesn't stick to as much as an untreated surface. What does stick wipes right off. To clean the wheels I grab a beer, my rolling chair, Optimum No Rinse mixed in a sprayer as a quick detailer and a microfiber towel. The brake dust wipes off easily and I can go 3-4 days between cleanings, YMMV. By applying a coat of Armor-All wheel protectant I can go 10 days between cleanings.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:21 PM
modhog
AutoX

I have satin finish center and gloss lip. Anyone out there with a similar setup and advice on cleaning? I just order P21 and a soft wheel brush.
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
So my wheels get the normal amount of dust on them, and I can just clean them with soap and water. But they also have a couple of what looks like grease spots on them, which won't come off with just soap. These spots seem like maybe only gasoline will remove them, although I haven't tried it.

Any idea what these spots are? Unfortunately it's night now but I'll take some pics tomorrow morning and post them here.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I have had those sticky spots as well...my guess it's from the tire shine junk. Might try Goo Gone or something like that.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:12 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
I have had those sticky spots as well...my guess it's from the tire shine junk. Might try Goo Gone or something like that.
Funny thing is I've never used anything but soap and water. Thanks for the googone suggestion. Isn't that a petro product?

Quick Reply: Wheel cleaning