Sponsored by:

Opinion on C2 or C2S with 7MT

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 03:06 PM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Opinion on C2 or C2S with 7MT

Hi all, thank you in advance for your input.

I am going back to a 7MT and only need PSE, SC and PASM. I am ordering PTS 2014. These are the only essentials I want.

As I only drive city, very little highway (under 5%) and no track, I see very few reason to go C2S....just C2. I have a PDK Boxster Spyder when I want to track in future and for sunny days.

I have not been able to find a 7MT C2 to test. Everything is PDK around here.

Any other city dwellers in same boat, thinking C2 is more than enough?

Balancing regretting I did not get the C2S versus overpaying for Porsche.

Thanks again.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:20 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

Any used ones around that you can test drive?
Some claim that they don't like the power band of the C2 with MT and have to push the rpm's quite high to get the desired zip, while others feel that the C2S is over the top in power for an MT, and you end up rowing through the gears.

Personally I have a C2S MT with a lot of city driving, and have not found this to be the case.
No complaints here.
The clutch isn't too stiff for traffic and I have enough torque in all gears except 7th.

I would certainly see if you can find a used one to test drive before making a pretty major decision.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:33 PM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Thanks duxsi! That is exactly my fear...as you have stated below. C2S power would never be used. Did you try the C2 7MT before buying?

"Some claim that they don't like the power band of the C2 with MT and have to push the rpm's quite high to get the desired zip, while others feel that the C2S is over the top in power for an MT, and you end up rowing through the gears"
Old 04-07-2013, 04:39 PM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really can't see how 350-HP wouldn't be enough for city driving. I know some complain about a lack of torque, but how bad can it really be?

If I were you, I'd try and get my hands on one for a test drive. I personally own an S with the 7-speed and there is an abundance of power (not that I mind of course). I personally believe you'd be happy with the C2 7-speed in the city.

And if you ever feel a need for a little more linearity at a light, you can always get a Sprint Booster, which will give you the extra zing from the get go. I needed to put one into my Jeep and my Hemi Challenger to get them to my liking: it made all the difference in the world.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:14 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a CS2 with PDK and SPASM because I like to take it on the track. If I was only going to drive it on the street, I would just get the CS, as that is plenty of power. However, as I live where there is a fair amount of traffic, I would get the PDK. I love how it shifts.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:20 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a C2 on order.
And allthough it's always great to have more power, for me I couldn't justify the additional cost involved for those few milliseconds I will never ever experience with the use I have for the car ! Don't think for one second the base C2 is slow like some seem to claim ! There is more to driving a 911 than pure bhp, they are not meant to be muscle cars !
Old 04-08-2013, 06:30 AM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 991S w/stick shift, it is a blast to drive. i think you will love the C2 w/stick because you can row the gears a bit more too find the peak power spots in the rev range. The S has so much power, you can be lazy if you want.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:32 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by clembo
I have a 991S w/stick shift, it is a blast to drive. i think you will love the C2 w/stick because you can row the gears a bit more too find the peak power spots in the rev range. The S has so much power, you can be lazy if you want.
+1

I must admit that I didn't try the C2 before buying the C2S, because I came from an 8 cylinder 400 hp rocket, so the C2 it wasn't going to work for me on paper.

Haven't heard too many complaints from either camp, but mistakenly doing 60+mph in 2nd is quite common.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:36 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a C2 with 7MT and am quite happy with it, not only around the city but for road trips, etc., have not had the opportunity for a track day yet.
I was pretty much an impulse buyer last fall when the local dealers started marking down their remaining 2012's. I was adamant about having manual and out of around 15 cars left around town at three dealers, the only manuals were three base Carrera's. I might have made the stretch for an S if a comparably equipped one had been around, but again I stress, I have never regretted my decision.
A 350hp car is not slow by any means.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 141 Posts

I drove an almost no-option 991 C2 with MT back to back with my Spyder (and had a 997 C2 prior to that). Went in expecting similar performance and a soft suspension. Was pleasantly surprised that the non-PASM suspension was nicely stiff, and thought the transmission itself was nice, but was unpleasantly surprised with the lack of torque at low RPMs once out of 1st gear. Not sure if it is gearing, weight, or ECU tune to get a higher peak output on paper for the C2, but the Spyder with a similar 3.4 - while obviously not a muscle car - never feels flat.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:58 PM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Thanks all - looks like I need to find a car to test. Always best to test.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Naushaud
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kind of went through the dilemma of c2 PDk-sc or c2s MT just purely from a cost perspective. The numbers on base with PDk and sc were to the point where it wasn't worth all that money for a marginal gain. For just purely MT I can see where the c2s might be a better option.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:46 PM
certified_prime
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The C2 really needs to be revved. But, once out of the breakin period, it is a blast, because the car comes into its own up around 5-7k. Basically, any time you want to punch it, drop a gear if not two. You can't just mash the pedal alone to be pushed back in your seat. BUT, drop 2 gears and mash it, and you get both the swift acceleration you crave, AND the whine of a crazy good engine up around 6k. Heavenly.

The C2 is a blast to drive once you realize how to play this powerband. I love my MT.

I did have to learn to hold the shifter a bit differently tho. It is a bit on the high side given the raised center console, so I don't cup the ball on top, but instead moved to a vertical pistol grip style holding the shaft.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:48 PM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote=certified_prime;10370129]The C2 really needs to be revved. But, once out of the breakin period, it is a blast, because the car comes into its own up around 5-7k. Basically, any time you want to punch it, drop a gear if not two. You can't just mash the pedal alone to be pushed back in your seat. BUT, drop 2 gears and mash it, and you get both the swift acceleration you crave, AND the whine of a crazy good engine up around 6k. Heavenly.

The C2 is a blast to drive once you realize how to play this powerband. I love my MT.

I did have to learn to hold the shifter a bit differently tho. It is a bit on the high side given the raised center console, so I don't cup the ball on top, but instead moved to a vertical pistol grip style holding the shaft.[/quote]

"That's what she said."
Old 04-09-2013, 09:42 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a C2 manual. I'm coming from a C6 Vette, so to me it could use a little more low-end torque. Make that a lot more. I do miss it. However, I couldn't justify the cost of the S, and I'm happy with my decision.

Money no object, I'd get the S; hell I'd get an S with a Powerkit, but in my situation I'm happy as is. It's enough power to go light to light where I live, and when I get on the rpm's it more than adequate. I can't even floor it for 6-8 seconds before going too fast for the roads around here. No regrets overall.

Quick Reply: Opinion on C2 or C2S with 7MT