Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FOUND ECU TUNE !!! i think??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Warranty issues aside, I wouldn't go with some outfit I've never heard of when the major tuners are not releasing a tune for the model yet. That's asking for trouble, imo.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:49 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Far too much risk and I don't see the point anyway. The car is fast as it is. Get some lightweight wheels instead or the factory powerkit if you have to.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:51 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adamsclubs
It is a matter of cost/benefit and risk/return.

First I want to point out, the chance of a major powertrain repair in the warranty period is not that great, if the tune is proven. Secondly, even if powertrain warranty repair happens, the manufacture must demonstrate the repair is the result of the tune in order to legally deny the service. Having said that, we know manufactures do try to deny service with a tune, it can be a hassle.

People tend to warn against a tune under the pretense that a warranty repair is inevitable, and it is also inevitable the manufacture will deny the service if a tune is detected. In reality, it is a rare occasion for these two things to both happen during the warranty period.

So you are taking a risk, just need to find out your level of tolerance to the risk, and see if the reward is worth such risk. For the n/a engines we are working with, the benefit/reward of an aftermarket tune is very limited. With such a limited benefit, I don't think the risk is worth it, even though the risk is not as great as people want to believe.
Well said and ditto!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:37 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Better wait for a reputable tuner to come up with a hardware/ software package upgrade. (See exhaust; probably fewer CPI cats, and an appropriate DME upgrade).
Usually, the ECUs are not the limiting factor in these, non-analogue, N/A cars..
A paradox; I know..
Old 04-07-2014, 02:37 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

This is what frustrates me to no end. I called them too and they said "we can read and write but we don't have a file yet." We are all in this same boat. I am sorry if you got excited for no reason but I would have to agree with the advice given thus far and that you should sit and wait til someone makes a file that can make power.

I spend hours on this each day. Our 997.2 files and our 987.2 files have been purchased by people running existing software from other people and we have yet to have someone say "the original file was better;" they have preferred our file to everyone else's. While Dimsport has yet to have a file or a protocol, I ask that you guys wait not to jump quickly. For example, in 2009, we had a flash for the DFI cars when only a few people did. Over the next 4 months that file's power/torque potential increased 200% because I was obsessed with making power. We have half a dozen 981s/991s in our shop at any given time and each one comes and goes to the dyno and each owner has asked to take as long as we can with the hopes that a file will be available. I am determined to get something for you guys to have put in a box sent via FedEx to you so that you can read/write to your own ECU.

We have to wait though as a group. Please be patient folks. I will have something for you; I can not however jump to a shop whose software we have never used before. Whatever file we do produce will be the product of continued dyno testing, road testing and be from people that have studied these motors and how to make power with them for the last 5 years. There may even be 4-5 tuners that come up with something before we do but sadly, sometimes, it is something that was written in a room at a desk, most likely on a stock car.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 04-07-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Quest911
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't tune my car for 25 hp? Not worth it, maybe 100hp......not likely just a tune though.
Maybe take all your seats and interior out and you would have same gain??
Old 04-07-2014, 03:18 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there were two reasons i tuned my X5M: one was to smooth out the power curve so it wasn't as jerky of a ride and the second was so i could override the check engine fault when i removed the cats. i wouldn't count on it to give you any sort of horsepower boost...change your guts to get a jolt. in theory it seems like a fun to do but its really not worth the headache...kind of a like a tattoo done on a whim
Old 04-07-2014, 03:23 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

I will be the first person to tell you that on a stock car, no tune will deliver 25 crank hp to a naturally aspirated current generation Porsche by manipulating air and fuel. The factory does not leave that on the 991 table. These motors are stock engines rated at 400hp and 3.8 liters. The "magical tune" is already in there. The tuning is the sweetening of the sauce but it's not going to be the light switch you're looking for on a stock car.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I will be the first person to tell you that on a stock car, no tune will deliver 25 crank hp to a naturally aspirated current generation Porsche by manipulating air and fuel. The factory does not leave that on the 991 table. These motors are stock engines rated at 400hp and 3.8 liters. The "magical tune" is already in there. The tuning is the sweetening of the sauce but it's not going to be the light switch you're looking for on a stock car.
+1000!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:40 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
i would trust/respect someone who would say something to this effect...forget the tune from the residential, detached garage script kid
Old 04-07-2014, 04:54 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

this one looked interesting:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7809...got-tuned.html

Quick Reply: FOUND ECU TUNE !!! i think??