Default Gundo Hack

First time poster, long time viewer!

I have a 991S cab
Agate grey -black top -black guts

Love me car

First thing i did to my car was the gundo hack,

Well worth $300 i did it here in west LA @ kartek

took 3-4 hours

and VERY happy the sound is pretty close to pse ....
Its louder but best part is when downshift you hear the burbles like pse which i love...

Anyone without pse or aftermarket exhaust
and dont want to spend 2-3k just for sound
(no real power gains from exhaust)
highly recommend Gundo hack...
Old 04-02-2013, 10:47 AM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks - thinking about it!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Rfong
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles have you been driving after the Gundo Hack? Any CEL warning lights? Can you still pass the CA Smog Check?

Sent you a PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Amalgam
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sunny. Congrats for the car and the hack. I have a base 991 cab here without the pse and i am thinking of getting the gundo hack done. I however need to find a shop who can do it properly here in Ontario, Canada. Do you think i would get a similar result as you on a base 991 vs a 991S?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:03 PM
SUNNY991
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Amalgam
Sunny. Congrats for the car and the hack. I have a base 991 cab here without the pse and i am thinking of getting the gundo hack done. I however need to find a shop who can do it properly here in Ontario, Canada. Do you think i would get a similar result as you on a base 991 vs a 991S?
I have no idea. But I dont see why not? Same upgrade=same results?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:04 PM
SUNNY991
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rfong
How many miles have you been driving after the Gundo Hack? Any CEL warning lights? Can you still pass the CA Smog Check?

Sent you a PM.
Ca smog ? I hope so lol...
no warning lights
Its been 60 miles since gundo- no problems
Old 04-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Amalgam
I believe the base car does not have valves therefore there is nothing to hack.

I do have an S muffler that came out of my car when I had PSE installed.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:52 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sent you a PM.
did 6000 with mine, no problems... it's after the sensors so no effect.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:55 AM
jmorgan911
Intermediate

Would anyone be able to provide pictures of the actual parts of the exhaust that are involved in the gundo hack? I've seen pictures of 997 and 996 models, but not much info on the 991.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:43 AM
Rfong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter
I believe the base car does not have valves therefore there is nothing to hack.

I do have an S muffler that came out of my car when I had PSE installed.
Can anyone confirm this, that a base 991 cannot be hacked?
Old 04-03-2013, 01:50 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorgan911
Would anyone be able to provide pictures of the actual parts of the exhaust that are involved in the gundo hack? I've seen pictures of 997 and 996 models, but not much info on the 991.
i'll find a pic when i welded mine, you remove the side cans.. and weld a 2" or 2.5" diameter pipe between the inlet and outlet pipe.. hence bypassing the muffler under load....

Can anyone confirm this, that a base 991 cannot be hacked?
this makes no sense, both base and S have side mufflers... the base all of the exhaust goes thru the side cans.. so a hack would be more noticeable...

the S has a "gundo hack" basically already done, no baffles unless PSE but the exhaust flowing thru the center muffler half goes to side cans and half directly out the tips... (this is basically what a gundo hack does)

so if you hacked an S.. it would have less of an effect but still would add some sound as you are still bypassing the side cans under load.

the best thing i could think of is a new center can, which is what some makers have done... invented a new center that goes directly out the back that makes it possible for one exhaust to run on base and S models... very smart design.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:11 AM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

FWIW, I would expect once you did the Gundo hack, more than 1/2 of the exhaust would by pass the side mufflers, as the exhaust would follow the path of least resistance.

Why are there 3 cans to begin with? What's the purpose of this design? Does anyone know if the center and sides are equivalent? Why not just remove the center and leave the sides or vice-versa?
Old 04-03-2013, 02:57 PM
WCE
User

Received 177 Likes on 86 Posts
Exclamation

Proceed with caution here - one man's sporty exhaust tone is another man's intolerable highway drone. That's why Porsche's loud exhaust systems are valved!
I modded my 996TT exhaust by simply drilling a bypass whole inside the tailpipe which is actually inside the single center muffler on that car. Opinions on the forums were this very positive about this mod. It did sound much better overall, but droned like a cow in top gear between 50 and 75 MPH under load up hills, which describes about half of my commute!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:05 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i'll find a pic when i welded mine, you remove the side cans.. and weld a 2" or 2.5" diameter pipe between the inlet and outlet pipe.. hence bypassing the muffler under load....

this makes no sense, both base and S have side mufflers... the base all of the exhaust goes thru the side cans.. so a hack would be more noticeable...

the S has a "gundo hack" basically already done, no baffles unless PSE but the exhaust flowing thru the center muffler half goes to side cans and half directly out the tips... (this is basically what a gundo hack does)

so if you hacked an S.. it would have less of an effect but still would add some sound as you are still bypassing the side cans under load.

the best thing i could think of is a new center can, which is what some makers have done... invented a new center that goes directly out the back that makes it possible for one exhaust to run on base and S models... very smart design.
Did you ever find a pick of the gundo hack on the 991 or is it basically the same as a 997.

Sorry to revive an old thread but for a C2S that does not have the PSE option. Would the gundo hack give you as good a sound as the PSE on?
Old 11-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Viper3838
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes becareful everyone on what is going to be hacked. Extreme Loud is cool but maybe for the first 15 seconds and then once u take a nice longer drive on the highway u may regret it very much!

I have tried many set ups. By pass centre. By pass sides. By pass sides and center. Vacuum Valves connected. Disconnected. Etc etc and I can tell u first hand that longer trip with the heavy drone is dreadful!!!! Just be careful with your experimentations and hopefully keep your options open and fully reversible.

Quick Reply: Gundo Hack