Sponsored by:

Rear wheel fender / arch liner

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:36 PM
barihunk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel fender / arch liner

I just noticed this on the 991 (and I think it was the same on the 997 as well) that there's no fender or arch liner on the rear wheel arches just fore of the side mufflers.

This seems like a mistake, though I bet heat is a big concern. This seems like it would be very bad for the body under regular use especially in the wet.

Anything out there to "remedy" the situation?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:38 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by barihunk
I just noticed this on the 991 (and I think it was the same on the 997 as well) that there's no fender or arch liner on the rear wheel arches just fore of the side mufflers.

This seems like a mistake, though I bet heat is a big concern. This seems like it would be very bad for the body under regular use especially in the wet.

You want to fix what you believe is a factory mistake?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:37 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I noticed that too when I washed my car. I guess that explains all the tire noise I hear from the rear.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:33 PM
barihunk
Advanced

Originally Posted by TTCarrera
You should perhaps try to be less abrasive with your comments, and maybe (gasp) try to be a bit more constructive. Wouldn't want anyone to mistake you for an a** now would we.

It's just really unnerving hearing all that gravel rap on the muffler like it was a drumkit. I guess there's no body frame back there so things can be replaced without too much trouble, but for all the engineering that goes into these things you'd think they would've come up with a way to cover it up like most other cars.

It's the same situation with the front radiators being exposed to road debris. We've got mesh covers for the bumpers for those, was just wondering if there was a good solution to the rear ones as well. Or perhaps it's a non issue.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:59 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Can you get a picture of the area? Sounds like mud, moisture, dirt, road salt (shudder the thought;-) would get trapped in all sorts of places without a fender liner...

You should perhaps try to be less abrasive with your comments, and maybe (gasp) try to be a bit more constructive. Wouldn't want anyone to mistake you for an a** now would we.

It's just really unnerving hearing all that gravel rap on the muffler like it was a drumkit. I guess there's no body frame back there so things can be replaced without too much trouble, but for all the engineering that goes into these things you'd think they would've come up with a way to cover it up like most other cars.

It's the same situation with the front radiators being exposed to road debris. We've got mesh covers for the bumpers for those, was just wondering if there was a good solution to the rear ones as well. Or perhaps it's a non issue.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:00 PM
barihunk
Advanced

You can see it in the http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/suspension-walkaround-2012-porsche-911-carrera-s.html - relevant picture linked here contrasted with the front wheel well:

Rear

Front
Old 04-02-2013, 04:00 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Non issue really. There have been no liners in 911s and no associated problems- just hose out any trapped dirt and all is well.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:52 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Was not trying to be abrasive, nor an a$$hole. But, the 991 is hardly the first car Porsche has designed without wheel well covers.

The Carrera GT:

I trust Porsche that they know what they're doing. The 991 is not like most other cars.

By the way, (gasp) Pot - Kettle - Black
Old 04-24-2018, 12:28 AM
Contadino
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking that's why my car smells like burning rubber when I park it. Probably rubber and other stuff gets thrown up onto the mufflers. Send to me that a wheel liner would solve that.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:41 AM
rff15e
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I trust Porsche that they know what they're doing. The 991 is not like most other cars.

By the way, (gasp) Pot - Kettle - Black
In all fairness, it's not like the change over valves were a feat of modern engineering or the fact that the a/c condensers are exposed to road debris.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:00 PM
bsmit
Rennlist Member

I love that sound, it's nostalgic. Reminds me of my first 930, my SC's, 3.2's, 993, etc. It's kind of like the ignition switch on the left, it's uniquely Porsche.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:07 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

I would never want to cover up those mufflers, as doing so would eliminate that awesome smell of the rubber debris from the tires scorching on the mufflers. Oh that glorious 911 smell after a spirited run!
The following users liked this post:
koala (01-30-2022)
Old 04-25-2018, 01:14 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Not to worry, factory fixed the problem on 991.2 models.
Seranad (03-09-2023)
Old 01-28-2022, 01:29 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I should be thanking you for starting this thread, I just got another 997 a bit scruffy so trying to get it in top nick and noticed the nice and shiny muffler, I cannot recall if my first 997 had portion was open, so I've spent the last 48 hours searching for arch liners and ended up here only to find out its not supposed to have one covering the muffler, well thank you for starting this thread!
Rossi63 (08-21-2023)
Old 01-28-2022, 02:10 PM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Received 635 Likes on 234 Posts

The .2 has a liner there.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel fender / arch liner