Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still wash your Porsche yourself?-Must read (especially black cars)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by mtony

Do the gas blowers really blow oil out?
No
Old 03-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LonnieR
The reason I bought the unit from Costco was that it was so well put together. It has a meter and twin filters. What's nice is when you order online, they send you an extra set of the dionizer.
To answer your question, it depends on how much iron is in your water. Since I have about 40-50ppm, I figured that I use aprox 10 gallons of water all told with a single eash. The filters are good for 800 gallons. They will last me atleast 80 washes.
Thanks for the info LonnieR! ordering mine today. I was also looking at Griot's...like the idea of the twin tanks and the built in meter on the CR. Curious to see how our local water meters.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:35 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using an inline water filter that I bought from a spa supply store for less than $20. I haven't noticed any water spots since I have been using it, but then again I don't have a black car. I am already in enough trouble with my wife for buying stuff for my car. She would absolutely KILL me if I bought a deionizer!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:10 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LonnieR
The reason I bought the unit from Costco was that it was so well put together. It has a meter and twin filters. What's nice is when you order online, they send you an extra set of the dionizer.
To answer your question, it depends on how much iron is in your water. Since I have about 40-50ppm, I figured that I use aprox 10 gallons of water all told with a single eash. The filters are good for 800 gallons. They will last me atleast 80 washes.
+1 on the Costco CR Spotless unit. We have very hard water (>200ppm), so to lengthen the life of the deionizer, I use regular water for the first rinse and wash bucket, followed by a thorough final rinse with the CR water. I also empty the water out of the unit between washes. These steps will greatly extend the useful life of the deionizer if you have very hard water.

Spyder
Old 03-30-2013, 12:22 AM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been told they can. Whether they do or not, I'm not going to chance it.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:47 PM
m33porsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure the result being experienced is down to the hot air drying rather than using deionised water.

The issue with high mineral content is that it leaves water spots and dribbles when it dries. It you are using a hot air dryer this is not an issue as all water is removed.

m33
Old 01-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I only wash my car with reverse osmosis seltzer water.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:51 PM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by m33porsche
I'm pretty sure the result being experienced is down to the hot air drying rather than using deionised water.

The issue with high mineral content is that it leaves water spots and dribbles when it dries. It you are using a hot air dryer this is not an issue as all water is removed.

m33
You're absolutely correct. If one is able to get the car totally dry, then there is no need to treat the water.

It's also a good idea to spritz problem areas (under the mirrors) with detail spray after drying. This will help fight potential drip marks.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I think these days that we are all way too attached to "material things".
Would it really be the end of the world if, heaven forbid you got a swirl mark on your car???
I used to be that way and found that little things used to bug me.
I'd be driving and hear a pebble hit the car and sometimes I would be so stupid and actually pull over to see if the car was damaged.
What a silly way to live.
Now when bad thing happen I have the attitude, **** happens, move on and don't dwell on it.
A much freer way to live.
My Boxster got a stone chip, and now it has spread about a foot across the windshield. It's located high above the sun shade so I just live with it. No big deal.
Now back to detailing.
Just wash your car, enjoy the process, be grateful that you can afford such an amazing machine, and forget about a fancy de-ioniser.
If you end up with a couple water spots, it's not the end of the world.
When you live your life not attached to things, you won't be devastated when that thing is lost or damaged or destroyed.
A great way to live.
The following users liked this post:
Jink (09-08-2019)
Old 01-03-2014, 08:46 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Thumbs up Washing and detailing...

Originally Posted by cmb13
2 comments
1 use a separate bucket for soapy water and one for rinsing the sponge

2 make sure the leaf blower is electric, so it cannot spatter oil on the car

3 always wipe with the direction air travels over the car, so as to avoid swirl marks

Ok I guess that was 3 comments.
Good advise and preferably a blower that has a filtered inlet. Microfiber towels are a good and inexpensive investment.

Be safe
Patty
Old 01-03-2014, 08:49 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Default Detailing...

Originally Posted by cmb13
I've been told they can. Whether they do or not, I'm not going to chance it.
Perhaps the exhaust fumes of a gas blower can be picked up in the air intake of the blower coalescing into mist or droplets after a while.

Be safe
Patty
Old 01-03-2014, 08:57 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Default Detailing...

Eventually (sooner it seems as luck often has it) dust, sand or stone pings will show up, even with a clear bra material both in the areas around clear film protected areas and eventually a larger bit of something pinging the clear hard enough to partially penetrate. It is inevitable. I do enjoy a freshly detailed ride but have to balance the with use and the fact it is a transport and meant to be enjoyed.

Some windshield glass seems to have more problems with pitting and micro-chipping from sand and other tiny contaminants. I end up replacing glass in 3 years or so depending on miles and condition of course but going into a set sun really shows these pits.

Be safe and enjoy the evening...
Patty
Old 01-03-2014, 09:15 PM
Ninetynine996
Rennlist Member

One of the top Porsche restoration guys in the country, John Paterek, once told me told me he only uses old towels to dry his Porsches. The older and softer the the better....washes his 356s and dries them with a couple of old soft bath towels...FYI...John is God when it comes to paint work....do a Google search. You really don't need to spend all this money on de-ionisers and leaf blowers....I have 32 year old paint on my 911SC
that looks new.....just my 2 cents
Old 01-03-2014, 10:00 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts

no…sorry, i was reading this thread again and did not realize that I had already posted this response...
Old 01-03-2014, 10:36 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I use holy water from Lourde and after i am done I can see rainbows reflecting back at me on my back car

Quick Reply: Still wash your Porsche yourself?-Must read (especially black cars)