Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche reversing PDK shifter direction?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 01:11 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche reversing PDK shifter direction?

As I understand it the standard PDK shifter has to be pushed forward to shift up and pulled back to shift down. Pictures of the new GT3 in GTPorsche show that has been reversed. This seems much more logical. But will Porsche now reverse the shifter direction on the more mainstream models with PDK I wonder?
Old 03-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Oh well. I guess no one else has noticed the significance of this yet.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:58 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm hoping they will make it so we can retrofit it to current PDK shifters. There is another thread on this which is probably why no one else has chimed in.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for that - I didn't check back far enough.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:43 AM
DKC64
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I care about this issues as well, as posted in the initial GT3 thread. I look forward to a retro-fit becoming available!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:18 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

had not noticed this, good catch...

many have talked about it before.. i honestly wonder why we even have a shifter anymore.. would think they would have gone to the maserati/ferrari/lambo style long ago.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:59 PM
cholmes1
4th Gear

Is anyone aware of any updates to this thread topic? Would very much like to change the shifting on my PDK to be the more logical method like the new GT3.

I know on some more 'traditional' cars you can simply get a small adapter to reverse the shift input, but with the PDK being so much more advanced I imagine that may not be possible.

Thanks
Old 06-24-2013, 03:45 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

um, that would imply Porsche was wrong in the first place! I dont see it happening anytime soon. In fact the pics of the upcoming Turbo still has it backasswards!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:23 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

Doubt Porsche will offer a software change on that one.

Maybe the shifter sensor/leads can be swapped. Anyone game on tearing apart their console to have a look?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:02 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
As I understand it the standard PDK shifter has to be pushed forward to shift up and pulled back to shift down. Pictures of the new GT3 in GTPorsche show that has been reversed. This seems much more logical. But will Porsche now reverse the shifter direction on the more mainstream models with PDK I wonder?
I have one, but have no idea which way it does what.

I only use the paddles.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:12 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TTCarrera
I have one, but have no idea which way it does what.

I only use the paddles.
The "+" and "-" beside the console shifter mean, push forward to up shift and pull back to down shift.

Every race car, the new GT3, and more importantly the intuitive layout, is the opposite. As you accelerate and upshift you pull the shifter and as you brake you push forward to down shift.

This follows the fact that as you accelerate, especially in a high powered race car, you are pushed back into your seat and thus easier to pull on the shifter. The opposite for braking.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:38 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

I think of it like this - on most tracks, street cars typically use 3rd and 4th gears mostly. So in a normal H-pattern manual, in the middle gate, 3rd is forward (low gear) and 4th is back (high gear). When you downshift, you move the lever forward from 4th to 3rd. Upshift from 3rd to 4th you pull back. New PDK matches this direction and is thus more intuitive. Regular PDK is backwards from this.

Perhaps Porsche took the "backwards" direction from the old PRNDL console shifters? I guess in those, if you were in D, you pulled back a notch to downshift to a lower gear.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:03 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
The "+" and "-" beside the console shifter mean, push forward to up shift and pull back to down shift.

race car, the new GT3, and more importantly the intuitive layout, is the opposite. As you accelerate and upshift you pull the shifter and as you brake you push forward to down shift.

This follows the fact that as you accelerate, especially in a high powered race car, you are pushed back into your seat and thus easier to pull on the shifter. The opposite for braking.
No, when I want to downshift I pull on the left paddle. When I want to upshift I pull on the right paddle.

Why would you take a hand off the wheel to reach for the shifter? Who cares about being pushed back into your seat and if its harder to push the shifter?
Old 06-24-2013, 07:41 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cchan
I think of it like this - on most tracks, street cars typically use 3rd and 4th gears mostly. So in a normal H-pattern manual, in the middle gate, 3rd is forward (low gear) and 4th is back (high gear). When you downshift, you move the lever forward from 4th to 3rd. Upshift from 3rd to 4th you pull back. New PDK matches this direction and is thus more intuitive. Regular PDK is backwards from this.

Perhaps Porsche took the "backwards" direction from the old PRNDL console shifters? I guess in those, if you were in D, you pulled back a notch to downshift to a lower gear.
You might like that idea, but the console shifter in all race cars has always been like the GT-3 PDK-S. This was before the invention of steering wheel paddle shifters.

Originally Posted by TTCarrera
. . . . Why would you take a hand off the wheel to reach for the shifter? Who cares about being pushed back into your seat and if its harder to push the shifter?
Yes, with the paddle shifters, you don't need to take, nor should your take your hands off the wheel to shift, the console shifter is redundant. But I suppose some still like to shift with the console shifter and it is there should you feel the need. Perhaps a new thread with the question, "How do you shift with PDK in manual? Paddle/buttons or console shifter?"

I love the paddles and when I have tried the console in manual, find it awkward and a challenge to shift in a corner in the heat of a DE event!

Frankly the need for any console lever is just added weight. Be done with it and put the appropriate P, N, D buttons on the steering wheel and console. If you want manual, the first shift keeps it in manual until you press the "D" button again, or better yet, pull the paddles twice.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:09 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Using the console shifter is something I would never even think of doing when I have paddles at my fingertips. I couldn't care less if they did away with the push/pull on the shifter, personally.

Quick Reply: Porsche reversing PDK shifter direction?