Sponsored by:

No drill front licence plate mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 06:56 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Have never understood the appeal of the offset/towhook license plates. Yes, I get that offset plates look good on certain Japanese cars (with Japanese plates...), and maybe a few other applications, but they look awful on a Porsche—at least to these eyes. I'd rather drill my bumper and mount a front plate. But the rare-earth magnet setup on the Agate Gray 991.2 Carrera GTS, as seen in a radar install thread, remains my favorite. Need to get around to doing it, however…

(Because I don't want to drill my bumper, either.)
I am dreaming of doing magnet set-up too. Have the 4 pairs on order. Would be nice if possible installing the magnets w/o taking the bumper off
Old 11-29-2018, 07:14 PM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Have never understood the appeal of the offset/towhook license plates. Yes, I get that offset plates look good on certain Japanese cars (with Japanese plates...), and maybe a few other applications, but they look awful on a Porsche—at least to these eyes. I'd rather drill my bumper and mount a front plate. But the rare-earth magnet setup on the Agate Gray 991.2 Carrera GTS, as seen in a radar install thread, remains my favorite. Need to get around to doing it, however…

(Because I don't want to drill my bumper, either.)
Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
I am dreaming of doing magnet set-up too. Have the 4 pairs on order. Would be nice if possible installing the magnets w/o taking the bumper off
I'd like to know more about this. Where can I see it, what thread? Thanks
Old 11-29-2018, 11:09 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,235 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by GKGEIGER
I'd like to know more about this. Where can I see it, what thread? Thanks

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1021...e-mount-2.html
Old 12-08-2018, 06:29 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 841 Likes on 418 Posts

I bought the Rho plate. It was really the only option for me since I wanted the parking sensor to work and no drill holes anywhere. I don't like the Rho plate and it's also crazy expensive at $150. The metal plate where the license plate is mounted on is just a stamped piece of sheet metal. Not machined at all. The arm pieces seem to be machined aluminum but are anodized so cheaply that when you screw it into the tow hook hole with a ratchet, the finish gets marred and it shows. Lastly, the hex bolts they use are not metric. I mean, seriously?! It should be priced at about $50 at the very, very most. Hope a better solution comes out in the future.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:44 PM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

I took a different approach and made a vinyl decal of my front plate. I took a photo of my actual plate, touched it up in Photoshop, then had it printed to a vinyl decal. I had to experiment with different thicknesses and adhesives and ended up with a removable adhesive. Its pretty tricky to get on without wrinkles and the removable adhesive let me get it right through trial and error.

The picture below is my first attempt, note the wrinkles (and dead bugs!), but with the removable adhesive, I managed to get it right.

The following users liked this post:
cr207 (04-07-2020)
Old 12-08-2018, 08:59 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 841 Likes on 418 Posts

Nice, quattroboy. I'm pretty sure I would end up in jail in Virginia though. LOL. They are pretty tough on laws here and it would probably be breaking one or more of them.
MarieinVA (03-22-2021)
Old 04-07-2020, 03:24 AM
Ted Diamonte
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
That was pretty much my thought. I am in a front plate state (where I have been pulled over before for no front plate) so I caved in and have the front plate mounted. The tow-hook mounts just look strange to me. The car will have a front plate as long as I own it (don't plan on moving out of this state anytime soon).
Just got the altec remote control license plate for 991 tt. It doesn’t work on the bottom of the front bumper because of the retractable spoiler and it doesn’t work higher in front of the radiator because the entire unit goes into the car about 8 inches and the car only has about six before you hit radiator. I’ll use it anyway extending 2 inches in front of the car which is about how far a tow hook plate mounted on the corner extends. Not ideal for sure. Any thoughts?
Old 04-07-2020, 10:07 AM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
I used the magnet approach to attach the license plate bracket to the front of my 991.2. Removing the bumper cover is required, but not particularly difficult.

Jason
Old 04-07-2020, 10:42 AM
cr207
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you tell us what you ended up with?? Thanks

Originally Posted by quattroboy
I took a different approach and made a vinyl decal of my front plate. I took a photo of my actual plate, touched it up in Photoshop, then had it printed to a vinyl decal. I had to experiment with different thicknesses and adhesives and ended up with a removable adhesive. Its pretty tricky to get on without wrinkles and the removable adhesive let me get it right through trial and error.

The picture below is my first attempt, note the wrinkles (and dead bugs!), but with the removable adhesive, I managed to get it right.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:30 PM
rwsteelers
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Stonsho mount

Dealer mounted this. It now resides in my frunk 99% of the time, but just in case an attentive NJ cop pulls me over...sorry officer just cleaned the car, here it is...

Mount is two cylinders/cotor pin, no visible holes in the bumper.
Need4S (04-07-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 07:21 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,235 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by rwsteelers

Dealer mounted this. It now resides in my frunk 99% of the time, but just in case an attentive NJ cop pulls me over...sorry officer just cleaned the car, here it is...

Mount is two cylinders/cotor pin, no visible holes in the bumper.

Good luck. Had tried the "just cleaned my car and forgot to put plate back on" line, did not help me. Got the ticket. Cop said, "You can put it on now if you want, you are still getting a citation."
amiracle91 (02-28-2021)
Old 04-08-2020, 11:00 AM
MB99
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cr207
The local police would have a field day with us in Ontario if we did that!
Old 04-08-2020, 11:12 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by quattroboy

I used to live in Manitoba, Canada and had a colleague who had this type of 'front plate' on his 997.1 for years.

No issues from the police.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:56 PM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cr207
I ended up with the reusable sticker from Sticker Genius with the outdoor protective coating.

https://www.stickergenius.com/shop/reusable-stickers/
Old 08-18-2020, 05:01 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 810 Likes on 463 Posts

I think something like that is viewed as more portable in the US. I am pretty sure states have laws about modifying, copying or using a facsimile of a plate.

Quick Reply: No drill front licence plate mount