Sponsored by:

No drill front licence plate mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 02:20 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 97c2s993
First off, I would prefer no plate on the front at all, but I have been hassled enough and even got a ticket (from a meter maid because I parked when I didn't have the plate on) that I finally chose a mounting alternative.
I have owned both the US Millworks and now have the Skene Design mounting bracket. I originally ordered the tow hook bracket because I just didn't want to drill any holes and wanted the convenience to remove the plate quickly. The product is great, especially with the pivoting head that allowed adjustment almost flush with the bumper. I just grew tired of the look with the plate offset to the left and wanted something else. I sacrificed the convenience of easy removal and even convinced myself to drill holes, albeit non visible ones, with the SKene Design bracket.
I have to say I am thrilled with the Skene Design. I like that I could mount the plate as low as possible with the adjustable bracket (vs the stock Porsche bracket smack in the middle of the bumper where it protrudes the most!), and it's very flush to the bumper (with protectors of course).
Arguably, if I returned to the track I could always unscrew part of the bracket removing the license plate for the event (it would leave only the part that's screwed to the bumper) thus not being a problem, though a bit more cumbersome than removal of the tow hook mounted solution.
But as my track days a few and far between, and having resigned to the fact that a plate in front is a must where I live, the Skene Design solution was easily the best decision I made.
P.S. I also used one of those darker colored license plate covers for the front plate. Combined, the plate looks both flush, low and much less distracting and conspicuous than normal.

Sorry for the off topic but 97c2s993,

Your front rads look really well worn and pitted. How many miles on your car if I may ask? Is that simply from living and driving in a cold, snow, wet area like NY? Lots of gravel from the city? Did you live somewhere else before NYC? I have 30k on my car and they look almost new. Lots of freeway miles as well. Very curious. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2015, 07:10 AM
jsr991
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They look better than mine with 15,000 km Lots of sand,salt,snow and ice here Ontario Canada. Winters are hard on the car. Considering the mesh covers on the next one.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:42 AM
jsr991
Instructor

First off, I would prefer no plate on the front at all, but I have been hassled enough and even got a ticket (from a meter maid because I parked when I didn't have the plate on) that I finally chose a mounting alternative.
I have owned both the US Millworks and now have the Skene Design mounting bracket. I originally ordered the tow hook bracket because I just didn't want to drill any holes and wanted the convenience to remove the plate quickly. The product is great, especially with the pivoting head that allowed adjustment almost flush with the bumper. I just grew tired of the look with the plate offset to the left and wanted something else. I sacrificed the convenience of easy removal and even convinced myself to drill holes, albeit non visible ones, with the SKene Design bracket.
I have to say I am thrilled with the Skene Design. I like that I could mount the plate as low as possible with the adjustable bracket (vs the stock Porsche bracket smack in the middle of the bumper where it protrudes the most!), and it's very flush to the bumper (with protectors of course).
Arguably, if I returned to the track I could always unscrew part of the bracket removing the license plate for the event (it would leave only the part that's screwed to the bumper) thus not being a problem, though a bit more cumbersome than removal of the tow hook mounted solution.
But as my track days a few and far between, and having resigned to the fact that a plate in front is a must where I live, the Skene Design solution was easily the best decision I made.
P.S. I also used one of those darker colored license plate covers for the front plate. Combined, the plate looks both flush, low and much less distracting and conspicuous than normal.
97c2s993
Looks fantastic, where did you buy the plate cover? You are so right about the darker colour making it less distracting. I would like to get the same cover for my car.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:52 AM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Sorry for the off topic but 97c2s993,

Your front rads look really well worn and pitted. How many miles on your car if I may ask? Is that simply from living and driving in a cold, snow, wet area like NY? Lots of gravel from the city? Did you live somewhere else before NYC? I have 30k on my car and they look almost new. Lots of freeway miles as well. Very curious. Thanks!
Marcus G, indeed they are nicely worn and pitted. I was late to the game with mesh covers, which I have installed by the way, and this can be seen in other posts. I've had the car since 3'12 and just passed 31k miles on it, almost all of it highway miles, almost entirely between NYC area and Canada (where I'm originally from), so a lot of 6-8hr drives both ways in all kinds of weather (except winter).
Spring is obviously the most harsh when roads are dirty and have remnants of winter getting kicked up.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:54 AM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jsr991
97c2s993
Looks fantastic, where did you buy the plate cover? You are so right about the darker colour making it less distracting. I would like to get the same cover for my car.
jsr991: since you're in Canada you can just pick one up at Cdn Tire. Just fyi, I didn't put one on the back since apparently police can stop and hassle you (hopefully not with a ticket) for trying to conceal the plate. I put the same cover on the front plate of the 993 in Ottawa.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:16 AM
TAZ40JAHRE
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
$75 ticket in St. Louis. Ask me how I know!
Hey, Brad - I'm from STL, too. Where'd they get you?
Old 01-18-2015, 01:02 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I recall a thread a while back (it may have been in the GT3 forum) where someone had found a graphics
signmaker that would create a copy of your plate that was printed on self-adhesive plastic (somewhat like the stuff we already use to protect paintwork on cars) that you could stick to the front bumper...

wish I could find that
www.licenceplate.ca
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2015, 01:52 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TAZ40JAHRE
Hey, Brad - I'm from STL, too. Where'd they get you?
Clayton! They had to pull me over with sirens and everything! I'm such a criminal.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by drmatara
Leave it off and if you get stopped for it, it's only $20 ticket (at least here in SCAL)...
$117 in S.F, but you can get it down to $10 if you attach the plate and get it signed off my a peace officer within 21 days.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:21 PM
jsr991
Instructor

jsr991: since you're in Canada you can just pick one up at Cdn Tire. Just fyi, I didn't put one on the back since apparently police can stop and hassle you (hopefully not with a ticket) for trying to conceal the plate. I put the same cover on the front plate of the 993 in Ottawa.
Thanks for the info, CTC Carling ave here I come
Old 11-01-2018, 07:58 AM
bosco42
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Time to revive this old thread.
Any solutions for the front plate for a 2019 Targa 4 GTS with parking sensors ?
I can't find anything and don't want to drill into the bumper.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:23 AM
Radmd74
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bosco42
Bumping this up! anyone with a no-drill license plate mount device recommended?

-JR
Old 11-16-2018, 01:30 AM
Radmd74
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bosco42
Millworks so far workng well w the no drill side mounts?

Any others mounts out that people prefer?

-JR
Old 11-16-2018, 08:13 AM
bosco42
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I still haven't found anything that works with my 2019 T-4 GTS
Thoughts ??
Old 11-16-2018, 09:19 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For those with PDC/parking sensors ... I recall looking at Rho Plate (https://www.rho-plate.com/pages/rho-plate-v2) with the extension option but I've not yet decided to purchase it.
The following users liked this post:
thesaintusa (04-07-2020)

Quick Reply: No drill front licence plate mount