Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No drill front licence plate mount

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 03:27 PM
Samp4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the Dallas area and have not had a front license for at least 15 years with no issues. Not sure why this discussion - unless Texas is not the same as other states.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:56 PM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a ticket with my M3 when I lived in Houston. Cop had anothet M3 pulled over and was standing in front of it with the driver pointing at the front. He looked up and saw me and just waved me over. Putting it on in states where it is required is a no brainer. Why give that one ******** cop an excuse to pull you over?

I just ordered the USMillworks bracket. Looks better designed and more adjustable than any other. The Skene looks just plain cheesy.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:05 AM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

First off, I would prefer no plate on the front at all, but I have been hassled enough and even got a ticket (from a meter maid because I parked when I didn't have the plate on) that I finally chose a mounting alternative.
I have owned both the US Millworks and now have the Skene Design mounting bracket. I originally ordered the tow hook bracket because I just didn't want to drill any holes and wanted the convenience to remove the plate quickly. The product is great, especially with the pivoting head that allowed adjustment almost flush with the bumper. I just grew tired of the look with the plate offset to the left and wanted something else. I sacrificed the convenience of easy removal and even convinced myself to drill holes, albeit non visible ones, with the SKene Design bracket.
I have to say I am thrilled with the Skene Design. I like that I could mount the plate as low as possible with the adjustable bracket (vs the stock Porsche bracket smack in the middle of the bumper where it protrudes the most!), and it's very flush to the bumper (with protectors of course).
Arguably, if I returned to the track I could always unscrew part of the bracket removing the license plate for the event (it would leave only the part that's screwed to the bumper) thus not being a problem, though a bit more cumbersome than removal of the tow hook mounted solution.
But as my track days a few and far between, and having resigned to the fact that a plate in front is a must where I live, the Skene Design solution was easily the best decision I made.
P.S. I also used one of those darker colored license plate covers for the front plate. Combined, the plate looks both flush, low and much less distracting and conspicuous than normal.
Attached Images    
Old 08-27-2014, 01:01 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the US Millworks tow-hook mount on my C2S. Liked it. I can't use it on my TT because of the front parking sensor. Am likely going to stay without a front plate until I get a ticket. But when that happens, I am probably going to get the Skene mount. Hope mounting it low doesn't hurt the performance of the front mounted radiator. It will block much of the opening. The alternative is right smack in the middle of the front bumper. Ugly.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:41 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I am likely going to have to concede to mounting a front plate. I think I may use the OEM plastic holder but do not have one. (Though I may attach it differently) Does anyone by chance have one they would be willing to give away? I would be happy to pay shipping and something for your trouble of packing it up. PM me. Thanks for your consideration!
Old 09-28-2014, 04:07 PM
tubwreck
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Just took delivery of a 991 sans front plate.

Has anybody tried cutting a block of black closed cell foam so that it nicely fits into the recessed black plastic cavity in the front center between the bumper and the spoiler lip? Basically a chunk of foam in the shape of a sausage in the back (to fit the concave cavity) and flat in the front. You'd use two-sided tape to secure it the black plastic cavity (no paint to worry about) and two sided tape on the front surface to secure a standard flat plate bracket. You'd make the foam thick enough that the plate was proud of the surrounding painted areas by a half inch or so.

But probably I'll just get the factory mount drilled and installed -- it's no uglier than the skene (and better looking than the tow hook).
Old 09-28-2014, 05:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

I recall a thread a while back (it may have been in the GT3 forum) where someone had found a graphics
signmaker that would create a copy of your plate that was printed on self-adhesive plastic (somewhat like the stuff we already use to protect paintwork on cars) that you could stick to the front bumper...

wish I could find that
Old 09-28-2014, 05:34 PM
RichardC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I recall a thread a while back (it may have been in the GT3 forum) where someone had found a graphics
signmaker that would create a copy of your plate that was printed on self-adhesive plastic (somewhat like the stuff we already use to protect paintwork on cars) that you could stick to the front bumper...

wish I could find that
Depending on the laws in your local jurisdiction, this may get you in more trouble than having no front plate as it is considered a forgery of a government issued plate. Best check what the local laws are before doing it.

Richard
Old 09-28-2014, 05:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardC
Depending on the laws in your local jurisdiction, this may get you in more trouble than having no front plate as it is considered a forgery of a government issued plate. Best check what the local laws are before doing it.

Richard
good point!
Old 09-28-2014, 06:47 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardC

Richard

at least we know for sure it is not allowed in Massachsetts :

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.s...olice_not.html
Old 01-16-2015, 10:38 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by enzom
Does anyone know whether the skene mount will hold up at 150 mph? That flat plate is sure going to push back hard against those two screws. I haven't found any stories about it blowing under the bumper, but thought I should ask.
I don't know and not sure I want to find out. The factory plate mount is solid and well-engineered, and just looking at it, appears to be able to withstand wind pressures at any speed the car (in this case, a 991 turbo) is capable of. Not so sure about the alternatives. I'm on the fence but may just bite the bullet and mount the factory bracket. Life's too short to be worried about being pulled over for no front plate (they do that around here).
Old 01-16-2015, 11:42 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Leave it off and if you get stopped for it, it's only $20 ticket (at least here in SCAL)...
Old 01-16-2015, 11:44 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

$75 ticket in St. Louis. Ask me how I know!
Old 01-17-2015, 12:38 AM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
$75 ticket in St. Louis. Ask me how I know!
Have not had a front plate on any of my sport cars for over 40 years. Never had a warning or ticket. T
Old 01-17-2015, 02:04 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Just depends on where you live. I don't typically drive like an a**hole enough for a police officer to pull me over just for a front plate violation. Here in California and most towns the fix it ticket is only a $20-25 violation. Most of us drive without it until we get a ticket, install the plate, take it to the local cop shop and get it signed off. Then proceed to go home and remove the plate again. That's why the Millworks bracket is so epic.

Quick Reply: No drill front licence plate mount