Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No drill front licence plate mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 12:36 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Years ago I went without a front plate. Pulled over twice @$100 a pop. Put on front plate and never looked back. It doesn't look so bad. Custom plate with Porsche cover looks kinda good. I never worry about being pulled over. Well worth it IMHO. It's just not worth the aggravation. Also, the tow hook mount off to the side looks terrible compared to centre mount.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:39 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

While the cost/benefit ratio of the front licence plate is infinity and the wasted production $ could be used to keep the newly legal pot heads in Washington state off of the roads........ for $5 and about 20 minutes time you can customize the front plate to be as non noticeable as possible. I've had a couple people ask me if it is legal to trim the plate and I always ask them "What was the logo on the plate bottom"? None of them could even remember what it said!!!! I can't wait for one of Washington's LEO to stop me for a trimmed front plate. I would bet $1000 they couldn't remember what the state logo was, let alone what type of donut(s) they had that day.

Name:  my991-1611_zps79ffc826.jpg
Views: 3228
Size:  23.3 KB
Old 07-05-2014, 09:59 AM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Does anyone know whether the skene mount will hold up at 150 mph? That flat plate is sure going to push back hard against those two screws. I haven't found any stories about it blowing under the bumper, but thought I should ask.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:02 PM
rustish
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Thanks for the advice / input. I'm hoping I don't get a fix it ticket, but if I do, I'll pick one of these up...
The US millworks one is really nice too. Recently bought one and was very impressed by the quality. The quick release option works like a charm.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:05 PM
rustish
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enzom
Does anyone know whether the skene mount will hold up at 150 mph? That flat plate is sure going to push back hard against those two screws. I haven't found any stories about it blowing under the bumper, but thought I should ask.
Exactly what I was thinking. I bought one, went to mount it and through that process realized I had little faith in its abilities at high speed. Daily driving it would be fine I'm sure.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 69 Posts

This thread would be so much better if you guys posted pics of your plate options
Old 07-06-2014, 12:50 AM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

Whiteboardps.com

They make a no holes holder. Contact there is Rick Polk. Sorry no pics, will post some Monday.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:01 PM
swagner
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
We're working on an alternative mount system, and have been in beta testing for a few months. Hope to be able to show it very soon. Discreet, simple, easy install, works well on our test vehicles (Porsche and others) thus far.
Eric,
Did you ever develop a bracket for the 991? I don't see one on your website. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2014, 03:24 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 428 Posts

On the 991 Turbo, can the parking sensors be turned off? I am doing Euro Deliv next month and don't want the plates drilled on the front . In Indiana we don't require front plates so don't want the holes. Porsche recommended US Millworks, if I bring it along to Stuttgart they won't drill the holes for the front plate. I'm not too worried about the sensors on my trip, if they are turned off I am not too worried. My current 991 doesn't have them, so not sure if the sensors can be disabled for the plate. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
Old 08-03-2014, 03:49 PM
kiya
Advanced

Originally Posted by disden
On the 991 Turbo, can the parking sensors be turned off? I am doing Euro Deliv next month and don't want the plates drilled on the front . In Indiana we don't require front plates so don't want the holes. Porsche recommended US Millworks, if I bring it along to Stuttgart they won't drill the holes for the front plate. I'm not too worried about the sensors on my trip, if they are turned off I am not too worried. My current 991 doesn't have them, so not sure if the sensors can be disabled for the plate. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
If you're asking if you can turn off Parking Assist.. yes, you can. There's a button directly next to the overhead light button that turns off parking assist.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:50 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by kiya
If you're asking if you can turn off Parking Assist.. yes, you can. There's a button directly next to the overhead light button that turns off parking assist.
Thanks so much, I figured it was possible but wasn't 100% sure. Glad that I can avoid those drilled front plate holes now
Old 08-25-2014, 07:05 PM
smichael
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking Another mount option

While not "no holes" I just ditched the dealer's frame/logo and put on a thin framed "black chrome" one with a slightly convex plastic plate cover ( sold by the local Advanced Auto Parts). The cover and trim actually gives a nice finished look that somewhat matches the headlight covers . My car is Agate and the black chrome is almost a match.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:38 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Has anyone tried to mount the OEM front plastic plate holder by using another method other than drilling visible holes in the bumper cover?

On the OEM plate holder there is a small flange that goes under the nose which looks like it may be able to be screwed through whereby the screw holes could not be seen. I am tempted to try to do this. My idea would be to then get the hold painted body color. IMO, it might look more cohesive than some of the other solutions.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:18 AM
Rallyeporsche
Racer

It is a $25 "fix-it" ticket in CA. Velcro the thing on with the OEM holder, get it signed off, take it off. Worth $25 every few years not to have a front plate.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:53 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rallyeporsche
It is a $25 "fix-it" ticket in CA. Velcro the thing on with the OEM holder, get it signed off, take it off. Worth $25 every few years not to have a front plate.
$75 where I live. And no opportunity to fix it. In fact, they would prefer you didn't so they can step up the fine on each successive infringement.

I've NEVER had a front plate before on any car. And since I picked up the 991 last December I've gotten bit twice. It's no fun attracting stares from the wrong people.

Quick Reply: No drill front licence plate mount