Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protection?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 01:41 PM
jmct
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put about 10k miles/year on mine so I wrapped the bumper and headlights. I prefer the look of no-wrap but the number of marks on my 997 after about 18 months was pretty bad, definitely worse looking than what it looks like wrapped. If I get time I will take a photo of the bumper and attach it to this.

The film is very hard to notice on the front bumper due to all its contours and it being less prominent than other parts of the car. I don't like putting the protection on the fenders or hood because those are large prominent surfaces that have less contours so the wrap is more apparent to me, and the road rash is significantly less there anyway.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:39 PM
meine911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by draxa
I apologise if my rant has offended anyone; certainly not my intention as I really do appreciate this forum and anyway, you'd probably be sickened by my shiny gold wheels.
Agreed.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm currently looking at a new C2S and if I pull the trigger I'm sure the question will come up from the dealer on wrapping the car. I've never wrapped any other cars I've owned, but all have been front engined so they sit up a bit higher on the road. Chips are a rarity for me as I don't track my cars and never tailgate.

While I know the 911 sits a bit lower is it that much more susceptible to chips?

I'm exceptionally **** about car appearance and enjoy spending 2-4 hours on the weekend detailing my car so worried about bugs or road film.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:47 PM
windboat
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Do the full front wrap, mirrors, hood and front fenders. I would shop around with outside installers, you will most likely get a better install and save at least 30% on the wrap.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:49 AM
Naushaud
Intermediate

Mine is white too and did the hood, front bumper and fenders. Like others have said you can't see it all with a professional install and I have yet to have anyone notice either. My previous 335 coupe I had for five years had too many scratches and chips on the bumper to count. This having mainly driven around suburbs of Dallas where the roads aren't so bad either. Maybe Porsche paint is more durable, who knows, but I know I hated looking at all those spots walking up to it everyday. Well worth the investment especially when the car is practically new and paint untouched IMO.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:53 AM
Naushaud
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Monetthecat
I'm currently looking at a new C2S and if I pull the trigger I'm sure the question will come up from the dealer on wrapping the car. I've never wrapped any other cars I've owned, but all have been front engined so they sit up a bit higher on the road. Chips are a rarity for me as I don't track my cars and never tailgate.

While I know the 911 sits a bit lower is it that much more susceptible to chips?

I'm exceptionally **** about car appearance and enjoy spending 2-4 hours on the weekend detailing my car so worried about bugs or road film.
Oh yeah I've noticed a lot more pebbly sounds hitting the 991 since I got it and I only have PASM. I'd swear sometimes I feel like this car is a magnet for road debris. Not sure if anyone else here is noticing this.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:04 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Wife's 05 Boxster has no bra. Lots of chips.
C4S has clear bra. Gt3 had clear bra replaced with full hood and fender XPEL treatment.

Would do full hood, fender film esp on white cars and Clearplex for windshield. Have Clearplex on my 911s
Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 AM
Precision Auto
Former Vendor

Ideal is full hood, full bumper, full fenders, and A-pillars. Cover the lights. Then use ClearPlex on the windshield. Optional....larger stoneguard custom cut on the front rear fender. This part gets slammed by pylons during track and AutoX days.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:44 AM
Precision Auto
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by seapar
Wife's 05 Boxster has no bra. Lots of chips.
C4S has clear bra. Gt3 had clear bra replaced with full hood and fender XPEL treatment.

Would do full hood, fender film esp on white cars and Clearplex for windshield. Have Clearplex on my 911s
OT:

Seapar! Check out my new carbon wing on my FB link below!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:43 AM
carrerapete
Instructor

Originally Posted by draxa
Viewed from this side of the Atlantic, this fad for shrink-wrapping cars seems, at best, curious and at worst slightly fetishist!

I mean......why would you want to do that? If it's to 'protect' the paintwork, then I ask again, why? And for whom?

At what stage of ownership does this expensive condom finally get ripped off for good so the proud owner can stand back and admire his pristine car? After five years maybe? At which stage there's certainly gonna be a noticeable 'transition line' where this plastic was and wasn't, a line which will doubtless be far more noticeable than the odd paint-chip or whatever. And why not wrap the steering-wheel too? And the seats.

I have been on Rennlist for some seven years now and this constant discussion about covering new cars in plastic has pressed a button in my psyche which, so far, I've managed to ignore.

NO LONGER!

I had an uncle once, a rich, fussy, pain-in-the-neck. We were living in Ceylon in those days, I'm talking 1950's and 60s. He had the best car on the island - I think it was a Merc of some sort - and I'll never forget how that car had thick, clear plastic covering on the leather seats. And to make it worse in his house he had the same on his lounge-suite and his dining-room chairs! Can you imagine being a nine-year-old kid and walking round to your uncle's house if this was the guy? So of course we didn't; we hated him. The guy was.....(imagine me spluttering as I write)... simply the worst uncle we had!

So for me wrapping a new car - which, by the way, is designed to be outside, driven on roads, under the sun and in the rain - in plastic is just absolutely bonkers.

I feel so much better, now, guys.
I truly enjoyed reading your take on this subject--cheers!

I remember as a kid that many new car buyers immediately took their car to Rayco for clear seat covers. And I also remember many homes and apartments that were filled with plastic-covered furniture. Have you ever tried to make love to a girl on a plastic-covered back seat at the local drive-in theater? Forget about it!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:22 PM
LotF
Advanced

1) Chips and the occasional scratch/ding will occur outside the covered areas
2) Chips and minor scratches can be hidden with touch up paint and 3M hand glaze for about $20/year
3) Wear your chips with pride ... keep it in a museum if you want to keep perfection

For me it is a waste of money for the clear covering. I can hide the chips so they aren't visible unless one looks closely. Though I can see every one if I cared to.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:28 PM
jmct
Instructor

Originally Posted by LotF
2) Chips and minor scratches can be hidden with touch up paint and 3M hand glaze for about $20/year
The metallic paint colors cannot be touched up as far as I have seen. Some effort was made on my Dark Blue Metallic 997 and it looked very mediocre due to the inconsistency of the metallic effect on the touched-up spots versus the surrounding areas - I believe the only way to make it consistent is to re-spray the area, blending into surrounding areas.

For non-metallic colors touching up can work well.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:30 PM
LotF
Advanced

I actually find that metallics are easier to hide chips with. The trick is to use a minimal amount of paint. Just enough to cover the base coat. Or use the base coat plus the paint if there is bare metal. No need to fill it completely in. I don't use clear coat or a touch up with clear coat in it. That is what the hand glaze is for. Fills in the surface irregularities, makes them opaque, and makes the surface smooth. Top with a coat of wax and all is good to go until the wax is stripped off. I wax and apply hand glaze the old fashioned way ... by hand. Takes longer than a machine but I can feel when the surface is smooth. Plus I wax in one direction .. front of car to back. No swirls. The depth of the metallic paint and the smooth surface will hide the imperfections at normal viewing distances. Use quality waxes, don't use soaps which will strip the wax aka Dawn unless you want to strip it, and don't wash with warm water or in the sun. I rewax twice a year and wash my cars once a month. Everyone accuses me of washing my cars more than once a week. I just laugh. The trick is a good wax job by hand and maintenance in between of gentle hand washes.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:14 AM
jmct
Instructor

Here are a couple of pics of the road-rash impact to my 997. I had the bumper repainted about 24k miles ago (due to a scrape) so this is 24k miles worth of road rash. The freeways are relatively busy out here in the Northeast, so consider that.

It was this result that swayed me to wrap the bumper and headlights of my new 991.

Sorry if the pictures aren't clear, but it is the little white specks that are nicks from road rash. Anything other than that is just reflection from where I took the photo or dirt.
Attached Images   
Old 03-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Turbonation
Intermediate

Excuse if these questions - off topic!

Why metallic paint scratches more difficult to repair than standard colors (red, yellow, white, etc).

Is it true: metallic paint scratches up to the 2nd layer can be repaired with average paint job effort at local Porsche paint shop. Scratches deeper than 2nd layer, require extensive work, including (must include) repaint of the entire section - i.e. whole bumper, quarter panel, hood, etc, etc. Depending on location of the 3rd+ layer deep scratch !?

Quick Reply: Protection?