Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOW 5 "Service Campaigns" for my 991!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 05:00 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WOW 5 "Service Campaigns" for my 991!?

All,

Just received a call from my LPD yesterday letting me know I need to bring my 991S Cab in for the following "Service Campaigns". Unfortunately the person who called about these items was not technical and could not really tell me what these service campaigns involved or if they were major or minor fixes.

As we all know sometimes the "cure is worse than the cause" and I'm not inclined to take a perfectly fine running vehicle into my LPD and risk having them mess it up. I've done this before with other new cars and they have come back with scratches (both interior and exterior), or been reprogrammed and felt like the performace was less after the reprogramming. What experience have you all had with the following Service Campaigns??

1) Reprogramming the Front Electronic Control Unit - don't know what this is?

2) Reprogramming the electric changover valves (gear wheel / transmission)?? Would this primarily impact the shifting of the dual clutch trans??

3) Retrofit of belt guide (belt deflector for front 3 point belt)This one seems to make sense...

4) Rework wind deflector. Had heard about this one, not having issues with my wind deflector (CAB).

5) Replacing Tension Ropes?? No idea what this is and it sounds like something major...anyone else experience this?

Really appreciate your input as I've had bad luck with dealers on warranty claims and am very anxious about taking my 991S into my LPD for surgery
Old 03-15-2013, 05:11 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

I had 1 and 2 done on my Jan 2012 build 991S coup. Both were uneventful from my perspective and changed no conditions I could see or feel. The reasons for the changeover valve recall on mine was apparently defective rubber sealing that could allow moisture. i was told that 7 valves (electric switches) were replaced. Also had several other campaigns done (including a PDK software update) and felt no difference.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

05/12 build here, had a few also - no worries. Quick and clean.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:24 PM
LotF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Item 5, tension ropes, probably have to do with the folding top mechanics. Not a big deal. Remove, replace, and adjust.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:25 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

A few campaigns are perhaps normal. Such was the case with my 2005 997. No big deal. Imagine your low end car manufacturers, who really don't care about correcting long term issues early or a few high end manufacturers, who don't have enough data to make a solid decision on a service bulletin.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:18 AM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Gents, appreciate your feedback and it does help decrease my anxiety quite a bit. If one of these service campaigns would have been major, I'm sure someone would have jumped in about it and shared their experience. Going to go with most of them, probably not go with the top tension rope replacement (until I actually have an issue with this - if ever) since the top is perfect now and just not convinced my LPD has the expertise to competently adjust on these cab tops.

Quick Reply: WOW 5 "Service Campaigns" for my 991!?