Sponsored by:

991S PDK vs Lotus Evora S

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator
Sit & talk? First beer is on me. PM me next time you're in northern VA or Miami (summer).
For sure. I'm coaching at Summit a few times this summer.

Ah, I did remember the track times correctly: http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html.
Hey! That's the RS! But I have some concerns with the ZR1 time... it was a full-cage car and I wouldn't necessarily trust GM to play fair with the boost. My experience in the GT2, ZR1, and recent Vipers leads me to believe that the Viper ACR is really the fastest one, particularly on any track without mile-long effective straights.

Of course, it's possible to pump that old GT2 engine up:

http://www.speedsportlife.com/2009/0...er-the-dragon/

THAT was a bad-*** car and if I had $200K to shop I'd do one just like it, with real tires in a proper width on it.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:48 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Sit & talk? First beer is on me. PM me next time you're in northern VA or Miami (summer).

Ah, I did remember the track times correctly: http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html.

Meant GT2 RS. Was too lazy to type RS it I guess.
It wasn't a GT2 is was the GT2 RS which ran the same lap times as a GT-R

The ZR1 smokes the 991 and the GT2 and better yet The ACR smokes them all for less money then a 991 S.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:48 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Summit Point. Cool. See you then and watch out for those deer up there.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:53 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jumper5836
It wasn't a GT2 is was the GT2 RS which ran the same lap times as a GT-R

The ZR1 smokes the 991 and the GT2 and better yet The ACR smokes them all for less money then a 991 S.
The problem with the ZR1 is that is has critical build quality and design issues (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...on-issues.html) that make our 991s look golden, for example brakes--one of the top three most important components of any sports car for me. I didn't buy the 991 for a street drag race and I have no intention of ever do such a race. It's for idiots with no regard for the safety of others.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

The problem with the ZR1 is that is has critical build quality and design issues (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...on-issues.html) that make our 991s look golden, for example brakes--one of the top three most important components of any sports car for me. I didn't buy the 991 for a street drag race and I have no intention of ever do such a race. It's for idiots with no regard for the safety of others.
In this case, Chevrolet's just copying Porsche... for years the acronym "PCCBs" rarely appeared on the internet without the succeeding phrase "cracked at my last trackday".

When I saw the spec sheet of our tester 991 I was nonplussed that they'd stuck us with PCCBs. Give me steel brakes every day of the week. I understand them and the costs are lower.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:17 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't see anything that convinces me this isn't just a setup against the 991. Saying that comparing a corvette and 991 isn't right completely ignores 40 years of automotive history. The corvette used to be much smaller too. The point is, the 991 was setup to lose. The proper competitor to the Lotus would be the 981, which is a far more refined vehicle than the evora.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I don't see anything that convinces me this isn't just a setup against the 991. Saying that comparing a corvette and 991 isn't right completely ignores 40 years of automotive history. The corvette used to be much smaller too. The point is, the 991 was setup to lose. The proper competitor to the Lotus would be the 981, which is a far more refined vehicle than the evora.
We had a 981 at CMP with the other two cars. (There's a short take of it in the same issue.)

The Evora whipped it bad. It wasn't even close. The gap between the Boxster and Evora on-track was bigger between the gap between the Evora and the 991S.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:19 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pzkw993
In this case, Chevrolet's just copying Porsche... for years the acronym "PCCBs" rarely appeared on the internet without the succeeding phrase "cracked at my last trackday".

When I saw the spec sheet of our tester 991 I was nonplussed that they'd stuck us with PCCBs. Give me steel brakes every day of the week. I understand them and the costs are lower.
Again, proving everyone's point that you're just being a grumpy stick in the mud, and had already made up your mind before even stepping one foot in the car.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:36 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

We had a 981 at CMP with the other two cars. (There's a short take of it in the same issue.)

The Evora whipped it bad. It wasn't even close. The gap between the Boxster and Evora on-track was bigger between the gap between the Evora and the 991S.
How's the Evora against the Miata on the track? Just saying. If we are going to focus on one or two attributes, let's take it all the way and get really ridiculous. Oh wait, we're all ready there. lol

The Miata is one hell of a track and autocross car though and cheap!
Old 03-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Again, proving everyone's point that you're just being a grumpy stick in the mud, and had already made up your mind before even stepping one foot in the car.
Read the article. I discussed the fact that these PCCBs surpassed my expectations.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:53 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Franklin229
Believe me-it is-
Those are some ugly 997s. Or were you talking about the one labled "Johns"?
Old 03-20-2013, 05:14 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 439 Posts

The only car I've owned during the past few years that had the "soul" of my early Porsches was my Lotus Elise. It slowly dawned on me however, that I really don't want a daily, long term commitment with something that has the feel of a car from the 1970's, soul or not.

There's a difference between the car I want to drive and the car I want to own. I have nothing against Lotus, in fact I love them, but for long term ownership a Porsche has significantly more to offer.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:48 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

On a positive note, this is a larger version of a shot Jamey took of me at CMP. The 991 is certainly a very stable and easy car to drive... this is in third gear.
BTW, with regard to the picture, "drifting" is not efficient for track or on the real-world streets. It's something for showing off that inexperience drivers favor and replicate with Mustangs etc. Might as well do some donuts in the parking lot next. Same thing. It's better for the movies, like in those scenes where the hero runs while shooting a guy dead at 25 yards with a pistol and gets the victim in the chest and head. I wish all the car magazines and TV shows would stop doing it. It's getting old and doesn't impress experienced drivers buying a 911 for true instinctive driving.

You might be an SCCA guy. You know better and you know how to take a car to the limits without such an inefficient move unless the goal is to crash or run off the road.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:21 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
It's seems big to me, I have 2 996's and sometimes when I see a 991 from the back/side angle I think it's a Panamera or until it gets closer or I see it from a front angle.
Re perceived size
- I was parked next to a wide body 993 2CS last Saturday. I and every one around did a double take- that thing looked as wide as the 991 in the rear - the flares are downright heroic on the early narrow at the doors body.

- The Panamera is way wider- its just with that hatch staring you in the face your eyes never drift around the corner! The 991 center console: apart from offering more leg room than the stub shift lever console in a 997, it will never look wide or blingy again after you drive a Panamera.

Re actual size- which is "bigger depends on what you measure:

Porsche 991 L 176.8 W 71.1
Vette 2012 L 174.6 W 72.6
Viper 2013 L 175 W 76
Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Yeah Chuck, they took the bait I threw them on the size thing, but we both know the facts are not acceptable to them. There's some crazy jealousy out there over the 991 among non-owners, more than when the 997 came out. It's faninating to watch the train wreck for sure. At least we had another laugh at their expense. You coming to the Tyson's Ladies and Caberet tomorrow night at Porsche?

Random video time. . Good beat. Easy to dance to....

Enjoy. :0)

Quick Reply: 991S PDK vs Lotus Evora S