Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991S PDK vs Lotus Evora S

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 05:50 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, I hear they are freaking out about a lack of 5-point harness. I could point out why it doesn't have it, but it ain't worth my time, dealing with excessive emotionalism sometimes. Sometimes "it's best to cultivate one's garden" instead a la Voltaire.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:08 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
The haters will come around, especially now the GT3 will be hitting the streets. I understand some of the feedback from the current 996 & 997 GT3 owners, people in general don't like change, but I bet their tune will change once they've had a chance to sample the 991 variant on the track.
Life seem hard for 997 owners since the 991 showed up.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:16 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Oh boy. Somebody's stirring the pot. lol

Brace for collision <klaxon sounds in the background>.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:26 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator
Can I get an amen in the house for the brother from South Africa? Hopefully you will continue writing like that and take over Gary's chair. Thank you.
Can't do.
Not a "brother" I'm afraid. Just a "whitey".
While, like Gary I'm an aerospace engineer (avionics) I am not retired and don't have too much time on my hand just yet. In any case I lack Gary's track experience with cars, my own track experience is limited to motorcycles. Ask me again in 10 years or so...

Rainier
Old 03-09-2013, 03:52 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh boy. Somebody's stirring the pot. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dzxef1muoQ

Brace for collision <klaxon sounds in the background>.
LOL
Old 03-09-2013, 08:00 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Rainier, I'm trying to help you out. We're all brothers. Anthropology. Drink the Kool-Aid.

Don't worry about the track experience. I use to see some really bad drivers at the track, including some of them that were doing it for years and making instructors shake their heads in disbelief. Take it with a big grain of salt every time you see someone bragging about it. You know--braggarts are usually bullsheisse. There are many roads to becoming a good instinctive driver. The track is just one of them.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:56 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I am sure they come out with a total score FIRST then figure out what the individual scores are that to fit it later. Especially when you see sports cars grade out and "Size of Glovebox" category decides the whole contest. I have seen it over and over with that mag.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:07 AM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuck911
So, to recap: the Lotus is slower, with a lame Camry motor, flimsy cabin controls, worse brakes and transmission, and wind noises, but we like it better because.... well because we like it better. So there!
The "we" in this case being "I", I thought I would stop in and thank all of you for reading.

Road&Track isn't Consumer Reports. The purpose is to choose the car we would rather drive.

After well over twelve hundred miles on the street and a full track day in the cars, the Evora S is the winner. We had five people in the cars. Three of us are club racers (in my case, I also snuck into Conti and TPS briefly) and the other two have extensive industry experience designing cars.

The vote for the Evora as a driving proposition was 4-1.

The Evora is spiritually closer to the true aircooled 911, and drives more like a true 911, than the 991.

If you want to hear nice things about the 991, you'll be pleased to know that Porsche just flew about 25 journalists first-class to Geneva on their dime. A $15,000 value. Every one of those people will have nice things to say about the 991. Depend on it.

Again, thanks for reading. Incidentally, for those of you who can't speed-read at the airport, here's the test:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/features...nmissed-shifts
Old 03-20-2013, 12:12 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

What did Lotus provide R&T?

Sincerely,
Idiot Savant in the not so "true" 911S
and 20 years of track time (braggart/loser alert) and whiskey

PS You hiring part-timers. Oops. Bad timing. Bad timing. Hahahahahaha.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:18 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

What did Lotus provide R&T?

Sincerely,
Idiot Savant in the not so "true" 911S
and 20 years of track time and whiskey

PS You hiring part-timers. Oops. Bad timing. Bad timing. Hahahahahaha.
PPS I ask this question on behalf of my esteemed colleague Chuck: Does R&T believe the 991 is too ummm big?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:46 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

You know what keeps me from buying a lotus? My dealer... Honestly, they suck. You would have to pay me to walk in there. I wave at them as I pass by on my way to spend my money at the Porsche dealer right next door. That and there is no better DD, IMO, than a C4S in Minnesota.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:58 AM
Pzkw993
Instructor

PPS I ask this question on behalf of my esteemed colleague Chuck: Does R&T believe the 991 is too ummm big?
Lotus and Porsche both provided R&T cars with delivery mileage. They both came with some fuel in the tank. I do not believe there was any difference in the accommodations made by the companies, other than the sticker price of the cars. The 991 was WAY overequipped at $144K but it was mostly stuff that didn't affect the comparison.

I own a 993 and a 986S and I drove both immediately prior to stepping on the plane so I would have some reference points for the 991's size. The 991 feels exceptionally wide, and it's also wide in real life. On some of the South Carolina mountain roads we drove, the 991 was repeatedly brushing dirt off the road's edge with its back tires.

I don't speak for R&T as an aggregate. I'm a part-timer myself! My opinion is that the car is what I said it was --- a spiritual successor to the 928, not the 911. It's a big, wide car that owes more to the Panamera than the 901.

The Evora is a great car. It really is. Porsche takes *Very* *Good* *Care* of people who say nice things about them. Lotus USA is broke and we all know it. The only way the Evora could win was by being the car everybody wanted to drive. Which it was.

From an ownership perspective, I don't know how the Evora will fare, but Rennlist is full of Porsche owners who have been financially burned by owning these cars. The notion that owning a 911 is in any way a financially rewarding proposition died in 1999.

Full disclosure: although I am a triple-Porsche owner, a long-time PCA member, and an unabashed Porsche fan with my own well-thumbed double volume of Excellence Was Expected, I have been the personal target of reprisals from the company for my refusal to let Porsche edit a review I wrote of the Panamera Turbo a few years ago.

http://www.ajr.org/article.asp?id=5141

R&T accepts all submissions; if you want to write for the magazine please do so. You'll be surprised at how fast the drivers are. I've worked with Grand-Am teams and I've had a chance to compare my data with drivers like Randy Pobst and the Wittmers. I rarely find anybody who is outright faster than I am, but the R&T guys are very quick in their own rights and they have won plenty of races between them.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:27 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I can not believe anyone thinks the 991 is a big car.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:26 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
I can not believe anyone thinks the 991 is a big car.
Someone who drives a 993 and 987 might think that, having not stepped in the actual competition of the 911 (like a Corvette or GTR). Let's be honest, almost no one is cross shopping these two cars... The whole article, and the posts above, sound like the rambling of a grumpy old man who lives in the past. Someone who thinks the 993 is the last great Porsche, and probably doesn't own a smart phone because the flip phone does everything needed.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:10 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Pzkw993
Again, thanks for reading. Incidentally, for those of you who can't speed-read at the airport, here's the test:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/features...nmissed-shifts
Interesting, thanks for the link. Wouldn't it have made more sense to pit a 981 against the Evora, though, rather than a 991? I suppose the presence of rear seats in both cars was what placed them into the same category for the review.

Quick Reply: 991S PDK vs Lotus Evora S