Sponsored by:

991S PDK vs Lotus Evora S

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Road & Track really didn't like the 991's steering feedback, but to deduct almost 7 points is ludicrous. Another huge deduction was for the 991's exterior styling because it's so huge. What is it about an inch wider than the 997?
a 997 is big too-
Old 03-08-2013, 11:00 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well some guy over at Evo mag said the same thing about the steering, but it all became clear when I watched a YouTube video of the author driving the 991 on a mountain road as he turned the steering wheel 180 degrees and never moved his hands on the wheel as his arms touched. I thought--wow, this guy does not know how to drive. How is he going to evaluate the steering system? What the frack?
Old 03-08-2013, 11:04 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Exhibit A:

Sad.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:42 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

So, to recap: the Lotus is slower, with a lame Camry motor, flimsy cabin controls, worse brakes and transmission, and wind noises, but we like it better because.... well because we like it better. So there!

Chuck911 - LOL Perfect summation. As to the 991 steering lots of people actually believe that the 991 has steering by wire, when in actuality the only change is that the power assist is now provided by an electric motor rather than the hydraulic pump powered by the crankshaft. So now there will be a linear power assist provided by an electric motor necessitated in no small way by the stop/start feature on all new Porsches.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:42 AM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You all realize that most of these "automotive journalists" have never actually ever bought a new car, right?
Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast1
[B]So, to recap: the Lotus is slower, with a lame Camry motor, flimsy cabin controls, worse brakes and transmission, and wind noises, but we like it better because.... well because...
We just signed some contracts for some nice new adverts. Tally ho (emphasis on ho).

Ah I remember when some journalists bad mouthed variable-ratio steering on the early 997. It gets old.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:57 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like Evora's, took an extended test drive in one when they first came out. Problem is, it's not a "real" car. Don't know about the latest S models, but once the initial bubble of Lotus loyalists took delivery of their cars, the rest of of the base Evora's in the US have been sold for a fraction of their MSRP. It's a great drive, but too many niggling idiosynchrasies and reliability issues to command Porsche prices.
They are a bargain exotic, in looks and handling, so I would love to reconsider buying one once they hit the $30's range, which they will.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ja, 'tis true...
I was worried about the steering when I ordered my car. There where so many negative comments from journos and also forum members. Even Topgear had to make a comment on it.
I never owned a 997 or Porsche prior to that so I'm somewhat unbiased. I do own a MK3.5 2.0 liter Miata lowered on Billsteins (Factory fit) and the little Mazda has a lively steering. Perhaps too lively - but I only know this now.

If I drive the Mazda fast, the steering more than anything else stops me from going too fast. The front feels light and I can easily sense when grip is starting to become an issue. many would say that is exactly the way it is supposed to be. Perhaps. The downside of that is that on a rough road, it becomes tiring after a while - I mean my arms get tired just holding the steering wheel.

OK, back to the 991. Before I ordered I was able to drive 991S PASM and SPASM, both with and without PDCC. Not that any of these drives where long - but taking in some choice back roads with some nice turns, a good place to get aquainted.
The steering, yes it is "dead" at first feel - or so it seems. That goes for all of these variants, the most lively is the non-PDCC SPASM. I am using the word "lively" here in a very muted kind of context. Anyway, that is what I got and I now have 5000 Km on the clock.

I have had plenty mountain passes, rough roads and about anything you care to mention behind me. Regardless of what anybody may or may not say about the steering I now simply ignore that.
My opionion is now thus:
The steering is absolutely perfect. How else would it be possible to drive this car with such confidence and precision on difficult roads ? No, it's not dead at all. It's in fact much like a butler mumbling politely in your ear about the stuff you should know, disregarding the rest. It's a tool. One with a finely honed edge. It's purpose is to direct the car to go where the driver wants. Can it possibly do a better job than it does ? No, don't answer that - I think it's as good as it can get. It's secondary purpose if to tell you something about the road you're bulleting on. Hang on - that's not just the steering - that's all of the car. Heck, with the 991 I feel everything I need to know about the road in by butt. It gets transmitted nicely right though the entire body. You'd have to be dead not to notice.
Is the steering wheel rock steady ? No it isn't. I have just the road to prove that on. Very rough third grade back road. Some nice long stretches with a number of sweeping turns. The road has not had decent maintenance for decades and any pothole is roughly repaired.
So I take the SPASM "S" with dampers in "normal". Wind it up to say around 120mph, I would not dare that with the MX5. I'd be hopping right off the road.
The wheel responds nicely to the surface and bumps - as driver I know exactly what is going on but it does not deter my confidence. I notice the wheel bouncing a bit in my hand and the car responding with a bit of lateral instability. OK - suspension in "sport", same road, same speed. You notice the whole car getting real firm - but what you really notice is the effect on the steering. The little steering wheel bouncing is gone. The lateral instability is gone. But you feel the road. Nicely in fact - just a soft mumbling - but it is all there. This thing is and feels like a missile on this narrow road. Perfect. That is no small matter due to the steering. That is not good. That is EXCELLENT.

Right - now an interesting side note. Audi R8 (V8). Same road. Remember this is not a smooth race track. This is a bad road. At speed, the Audi is all over the place. It's suspension if trying to be soft and hard all at the same time - it adjusts way too slow to the rapidly changing surface and it's obvious. There is more movement in the steering. Much more. Of course there is - this thing is borderline unstable. Don't get me wrong - the R8 is a really really good car - just on this road the 991 completely wipes it of the tarmac. (S)PASM and this incredible steering system. That is why.

I don't want it any different.

Sorry for the long ramble. I just HAVE to get this off my chest before I read yet another text on how Porsche messed up the steering...

Rainier
Old 03-08-2013, 12:03 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainier_991
Ja, 'tis true...
I was worried about the steering when I ordered my car. There where so many negative comments from journos and also forum members. Even Topgear had to make a comment on it.
I never owned a 997 or Porsche prior to that so I'm somewhat unbiased. I do own a MK3.5 2.0 liter Miata lowered on Billsteins (Factory fit) and the little Mazda has a lively steering. Perhaps too lively - but I only know this now.

If I drive the Mazda fast, the steering more than anything else stops me from going too fast. The front feels light and I can easily sense when grip is starting to become an issue. many would say that is exactly the way it is supposed to be. Perhaps. The downside of that is that on a rough road, it becomes tiring after a while - I mean my arms get tired just holding the steering wheel.

OK, back to the 991. Before I ordered I was able to drive 991S PASM and SPASM, both with and without PDCC. Not that any of these drives where long - but taking in some choice back roads with some nice turns, a good place to get aquainted.
The steering, yes it is "dead" at first feel - or so it seems. That goes for all of these variants, the most lively is the non-PDCC SPASM. I am using the word "lively" here in a very muted kind of context. Anyway, that is what I got and I now have 5000 Km on the clock.

I have had plenty mountain passes, rough roads and about anything you care to mention behind me. Regardless of what anybody may or may not say about the steering I now simply ignore that.
My opionion is now thus:
The steering is absolutely perfect. How else would it be possible to drive this car with such confidence and precision on difficult roads ? No, it's not dead at all. It's in fact much like a butler mumbling politely in your ear about the stuff you should know, disregarding the rest. It's a tool. One with a finely honed edge. It's purpose is to direct the car to go where the driver wants. Can it possibly do a better job than it does ? No, don't answer that - I think it's as good as it can get. It's secondary purpose if to tell you something about the road you're bulleting on. Hang on - that's not just the steering - that's all of the car. Heck, with the 991 I feel everything I need to know about the road in by butt. It gets transmitted nicely right though the entire body. You'd have to be dead not to notice.
Is the steering wheel rock steady ? No it isn't. I have just the road to prove that on. Very rough third grade back road. Some nice long stretches with a number of sweeping turns. The road has not had decent maintenance for decades and any pothole is roughly repaired.
So I take the SPASM "S" with dampers in "normal". Wind it up to say around 120mph, I would not dare that with the MX5. I'd be hopping right off the road.
The wheel responds nicely to the surface and bumps - as driver I know exactly what is going on but it does not deter my confidence. I notice the wheel bouncing a bit in my hand and the car responding with a bit of lateral instability. OK - suspension in "sport", same road, same speed. You notice the whole car getting real firm - but what you really notice is the effect on the steering. The little steering wheel bouncing is gone. The lateral instability is gone. But you feel the road. Nicely in fact - just a soft mumbling - but it is all there. This thing is and feels like a missile on this narrow road. Perfect. That is no small matter due to the steering. That is not good. That is EXCELLENT.

Right - now an interesting side note. Audi R8 (V8). Same road. Remember this is not a smooth race track. This is a bad road. At speed, the Audi is all over the place. It's suspension if trying to be soft and hard all at the same time - it adjusts way too slow to the rapidly changing surface and it's obvious. There is more movement in the steering. Much more. Of course there is - this thing is borderline unstable. Don't get me wrong - the R8 is a really really good car - just on this road the 991 completely wipes it of the tarmac. (S)PASM and this incredible steering system. That is why.

Sorry for the long ramble. I just HAVE to get this off my chest before I read yet another text on how Porsche messed up the steering...

Rainier
+1

Thank you.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:03 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Can I get an amen in the house for the brother from South Africa? Hopefully you will continue writing like that and take over Gary's chair. Thank you.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:04 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Screw the Evora this is a proper sports car.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:29 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Ja, 'tis true...
I was worried about the steering when I ordered my car. ......This thing is and feels like a missile on this narrow road. Perfect. That is no small matter due to the steering. That is not good. That is EXCELLENT.

........... (S)PASM and this incredible steering system. That is why.......I don't want it any different.

Rainier
YES YES YES; AMEN, ALL OF THE ABOVE SO well stated.

As i "may" have mentioned in past posts, Sport PASM is a sweet setup- not just the lowering but the particular spring and sway bar rates. One of the earliest tests in Excellence was a Techart car with a lowered slightly stiffened suspension. It concluded that that "returned" enough of the traditional extraneous noise, er, "feel" that Porsche had dialed out.

Note- Porsche has apparently dialed some back into the GT3 to "help" dispairing 997 GT3 owners trade up despite the loss of the antique "Metzger" immitation race car engine while they homologate the new 991 based immitation race car engine.

The ideal thing would be a rheostat on the console to dial up wheel dance routines.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Ja, 'tis true...

My opionion is now thus:

Rainier
Ranier, I agree completely. I think a lot of the people that badmouth the car and /or steering actually havent driven it at anything approaching the limit. Like one of my old Duc track bikes, it doesn't feel like it's working "right" until you get near the limits of the tires and the suspension. Then the mechanical harmony magic happens and you can feel where it was engineered to work well: near the limit.

The harder you drive the 991 the better it feels. I have SPASM + PDK & PSE. Throw it in Sport + and drive it like hell and I'm in nirvana. It's a masterpiece.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:05 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Rainer, perfectly described. I own both the V8 R8 and the 991 S and I agree completely with the assessment of the Audi's handling on anything other than a perfectly smooth surface: it feels like it is all over the place. The 991 feels so PLANTED in comparison, and it is hard to reconcile when I know the R8 is all wheel drive and my 991 isn't.
I love both cars, but you will always find me in the 991. When I get he urge to feel like a movie star and have everyone look at me and take my picture, I get in the R8 for a day and I am satisfied for a few more weeks.....

And I am glad to be reading about how we all love the 991. You can bet I am NEVER embarrassed to be in mine.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

The haters will come around, especially now the GT3 will be hitting the streets. I understand some of the feedback from the current 996 & 997 GT3 owners, people in general don't like change, but I bet their tune will change once they've had a chance to sample the 991 variant on the track.

Quick Reply: 991S PDK vs Lotus Evora S