Sponsored by:

need advice on left-side bottom exterior scratch

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:53 AM
yhtak
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on left-side bottom exterior scratch

scratched, dented and purged to the inside slightly (as you can see from the attached picture).

Porsche centre mechanic tells me I must replace the entire rear-left steel plate body to fix the problem (vs I would have thought just simple small arial dent issue).

what should I do? any good advice kindly?
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2013, 10:33 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a body kit, side skirt in particular.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Precision Auto
Former Vendor

I think that bottom piece is plastic and has to be replaced. You have some damage on the body too that looks like a minor fix, but will be pricey since you may need to paint. You might as well fix the wheel rash too
Old 02-25-2013, 08:11 PM
fantom
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

That is minor but will be pricey to fix. Where I come from that damage is more than a 'scratch'.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I agree that that is bigger than a "scratch." I would get a few quotes and go with what you like the most.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:00 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Your wheel also appears to have some hefty curbage. You might want to have your suspension checked out just in case.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:14 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

OK, now the all important question.... how in the hell did you do that??? Did you hit a curb?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:33 AM
yhtak
5th Gear

wife when she was going down the parking lot.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:54 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by yhtak
OUCH!

That is why my wife hasn't driven my '10 C2S in the 18 months I have owned it. She said if something happened to the car while she was driving it, she would just keep on going.... never to return home.
The following users liked this post:
Laszlo_Laz (04-19-2022)
Old 02-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

scratched, dented and purged to the inside slightly (as you can see from the attached picture).

Porsche centre mechanic tells me I must replace the entire rear-left steel plate body to fix the problem (vs I would have thought just simple small arial dent issue).

what should I do? any good advice kindly?
Whatever you do, don't replace the quarter! That's astonishingly irresponsible, just plain bad (idiotic) advice. Find a shop with a skilled "metal" expert. You're looking for an "in the metal" repair ... no bondo or filler. You'll need a restoration shop or custom body shop with someone skilled and experienced in this kind of work. The challenge is to work the metal back into shape, taking away as little material as possible, relieve any stress in the panel, add in new metal, finishing from behind as much as possible, then masking and spraying a matching "rubberized" paint blend. It won't be an invisible repair. Nothing will be invisible to a paint gauge or to a trained eye looking at the texture ("orange peel") which will never match the factory finish. The best job, in my opinion, is the minimal job. The least invasive and the least additional damage in order to repair what's happened. A body shop familiar with Porsche paint will be able to redo that rocker in that small area to the horizontal edges and blend forward into the existing factory finish.

As others have noted, the surface damage to the wheel may not be entirely cosmetic, so it has to be checked for true and roundness. A good wheel shop can mask and repair that lip and have it 99% match to the front wheel. If you go with insurance, just have the wheel replaced with a new factory part. Whatever else happens, have a dealer tech inspect all suspension parts and chassis pick-up points at that corner of the car, then redo the alignment to at least measure it. It quite likely has no damage, but if you're unlucky, the curb could have contacted the wheel carrier. Anything with any "witness" marks should be replaced.

Give or take the wheel refinish, maybe a pinch in the tire sidewall, alignment, labor, paint, metal work, fabricator labor, at least in California, it's $2000-$3000 before the dust settles. I'm sure you could find a "quickie" shop to do it with a wire brush, bondo and "decent" paint, repair the wheel with the tire on, you could be back to daily driver "good" for $500-$1000 and who knows, a curb could jump out of nowhere and it all happens again tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:53 PM
yhtak
5th Gear

thanks very much for detailed advice CarreraGT. very helpful.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:01 AM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If my wife did that to my car, she would never get the keys to the 911 again.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Sulaiman
Advanced

Old 03-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Sulaiman
Advanced

that pic shoulod be sent to porsche ... thats why 911 porsche should always be a manual Gear .. damn PDK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by gota911
OUCH!

That is why my wife hasn't driven my '10 C2S in the 18 months I have owned it. She said if something happened to the car while she was driving it, she would just keep on going.... never to return home.
thats 2 crimes in 1 action ... damging a porsche and stealing it ????
Old 03-03-2013, 03:36 PM
fantom
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulaiman
that pic shoulod be sent to porsche ... thats why 911 porsche should always be a manual Gear .. damn PDK
What does a PDK have to do with that damage

Quick Reply: need advice on left-side bottom exterior scratch